Sponsored

First Track Day Thoughts - Road Atlanta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I had my first track day yesterday in my mostly stock GT PP. Only modifications are Lund calibration, [MENTION=25806]SteedaTech[/MENTION] progressive springs, Steeda IRS subframe braces, and Project 6GR wheels with Michelin PSS that [MENTION=11685]Need4SpeedMotors[/MENTION] thankfully got to me right before the event :hail:

Having seemed to start my experience with a "fast" track, it was a bit much for me. Thankfully, I had done some homework by watching videos of others on the track and also studying the layout. I also do sim racing on PC but that is nowhere close to being anywhere near real-life experience.

1. Between turns 7 and 10 where I was easily raching 120 mph the car felt extremely floaty so I didn't go faster than that.
2. The stock brakes for GT PP are great and the MPSS tires were outstanding.
3. I suck at downshifting and find heel toe very difficult. May look in to a spacer.
4. Due to sucking at downshifting, I stayed in 4th for most of my later runs. The car handled it very well and it really only slowed me down coming out of turns.
5. I have no clue what my alignment is, but it is probably not good.
6. Despite being in the mid 80's most of the day I did not run hot at all. Then again, I probably wasn't pushing my car that hard compared to more experienced guys.

Overall, both myself and the instructor I was with were very happy with the car. I had a great time and I recommend anyone on the fence do at least one of these events as I've learned so much of the capabilities of my car and my own driving.

EDIT: Turn 11 is scary ya'll.
Sponsored

GTF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Race Red
Glad you had a good time.Take your time to learn RA, it is for me the best track but one of the most challenger and requires a lot of practice to get a good lap. We will be back for MVP track time in November 18-19.

I was on the Red PP GT , met you at the morning meeting.

S550Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT base performance pack
Ill be there for mvp 18/19 November as well, hope to see you all.

OP
OP
DarkestHour
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Glad you had a good time.Take your time to learn RA, it is for me the best track but one of the most challenger and requires a lot of practice to get a good lap. We will be back for MVP track time in November 18-19.

I was on the Red PP GT , met you at the morning meeting.
Ill be there for mvp 18/19 November as well, hope to see you all.
I might go to that event just to spectate if they let me. I'd prefer to go back out with an instructor if I do again and that is a non-instructor event.

S550Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT base performance pack
words of advice, record your time if you don't. I learn a lot just watching and analyzing footage. you will be surprised how much you can learn from that alone

rob_s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
MVP has instructors available to the novice group (via sign up sheets the morning of), but does give preference for the first session to drivers new to the track.
Sponsored