Sponsored

HR405 is here, the verdict is...

teamsketch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R
After the long shipping wait, HR405 is here. Have had about a week with the car now and these are my early impressions:

The Good:

- My last (and only) Mustang was a 12 Boss 302. This car is light years ahead of that one in every way. I could go on and on about this. I still like the Boss and think it is a good car, but this car really is revolutionary compared to the older platform.

- Endless youtube clips cannot accurately reproduce the sound of this exhaust. It is so much better in person the first time you actually drive it. I still can't believe this is what comes from the factory.

- I purchased this car sight unseen, and it really does look great in the flesh. Went back and forth on the color, but really like the blue.

- The transmission is really good. It feels different than other great boxes I have had, but works just as well. Heel-toe is not as hard as the Boss and can be accomplished on the street, even at a moderate pace of driving.

- Overall dynamics of the car are great, I wouldn't call it 'tossable' but it doesn't feel as heavy as it is.

- This thing just feels special. Sometimes I find myself just admiring it in the garage. :)

- The voodoo is great, I am amazed at how much fun I have had just setting the shift indicator to 5500 and using that as the max shift point for break-in. There is so much drama down low, I don't even have to rev it out, although I can't wait to do that after break-in.

- As soon as I get the PPF on I'm going to the track. I can already tell this is going to be monster and way better than either the Boss or the E36 M3 for track duty.

The So-So:

- I am not surprised but still disappointed by the steering feel. It is super 'direct' as people have said but the feel just isn't there. Driving the GT350 back-to-back with either my E36 M3 or older X3 and the difference is very pronounced. In a vacuum, I don't think it would be so bad, but compared to older cars it is a let down.

- I believe that for modern high performance cars this is one of the most exciting at low speeds, but you really can't use the performance anywhere outside of a racetrack. This makes it a little frustrating to drive on the street. I also had the same problem with the Boss. But I guess in some ways this is a good problem to have.

The Bad:

OMG this car tramlines so badly! I get it, it has 305 cup tires on the front, what did I expect. But seriously this is the worse I have ever driven. It is way worse than my E36 track car running NT01's and 3.5 degrees of camber up front. The tramlining combined with the lack of steering feel, makes the car a real handful in normal driving situations. I guess I need to move back to some non-r wheels and MPSS tires ASAP.

Early Verdict:

Ford has done an amazing job on this car. As Matt Farah said, this really is the Mustang Ford Performance always wanted to build. It truly is special. That said, I'm not sure I will get enough use out of it to justify having it. We'll have to see how the summer goes. Also, the steering feel is a problem for me (but I am really picky). I'll also need to pick up a set of wheels and MPSS's sooner than I thought.
2017-06-14 16.42.48.jpg
2017-06-14 15.10.05.jpg
2017-06-14 15.09.57.jpg
2017-06-14 15.08.18.jpg
Sponsored

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
Amazing car!!!! Congrats on your purchase!!!

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Looks great! Congrats! I love the feeling of the steering and have no problems with the tramlining. Did you get your shock inserts pulled out of it? If not, make sure you keep them. front and rear?
Really, it does want to follow the road, but thats whats so great about it IMO, you have to drive the car, it doesn't drive itself.

OP
OP

teamsketch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R
Looks great! Congrats! I love the feeling of the steering and have no problems with the tramlining. Did you get your shock inserts pulled out of it? If not, make sure you keep them. front and rear?
Really, it does want to follow the road, but thats whats so great about it IMO, you have to drive the car, it doesn't drive itself.
I have a lift in the garage so I checked after the delivery. they did leave the rear inserts in which I took out. Could not find anything in the front to take out.

Normally I would agree with you on driving the car vs the car driving you. That said I've had a lot of cars with some really aggressive tire and camber setups, and it has never felt quite like this. Who knows, maybe I just need some more time to get used to it.

Sponsored

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Very nice! I like the red accents against the blue. Best of luck with it.

I agree, driving it in anger on the street, especially in first and second gear is not feasible, at least not in my neck of the woods. These days, I find myself doing redline shifts in those gears at like 30% throttle.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Congrats on the CAR!!! I will run the SC2's and CF wheels period. Why? Because I owned a GT350 TP and the difference is Immense! The most radical difference in both cars are the tire/wheel combo. By swapping out to something less aggressive defeats the purpose of the R and the way the car drives/performs. My 2 cents.

OP
OP

teamsketch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R
Very nice! I like the red accents against the blue. Best of luck with it.
Thanks, I wasn't sure at first, but it looks good in person.

I agree, driving it in anger on the street, especially in first and second gear is not feasible, at least not in my neck of the woods. These days, I find myself doing redline shifts in those gears at like 30% throttle.
That's a good idea, I'll try that.

OP
OP

teamsketch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R
Congrats on the CAR!!! I will run the SC2's and CF wheels period. Why? Because I owned a GT350 TP and the difference is Immense! The most radical difference in both cars are the tire/wheel combo. By swapping out to something less aggressive defeats the purpose of the R and the way the car drives/performs. My 2 cents.
That's good feedback. Maybe I'll give it some more time or try the Steeda brace.

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Congrats, I love the color combo!

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
teamsketch said:
I guess I need to move back to some non-r wheels and MPSS tires ASAP.
The wheels are fine. It's the tires and alignment.

OP
OP

teamsketch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R
Splitter

One thing I forgot to mention is that I haven't even installed the front splitter yet. I am pretty sure I won't be able to get in and out of the driveway once it is one. Will have to check this weekend and possibly get a non-r splitter.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
I did the Steeda front brace on my Track Pack - it made a significant improvement. Front end feels much more planted and responsive.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Another E36 M3 brother, nice. But yes, few cars even today come close to the 'feel' of a fresh E36 M3.
Sponsored