Sponsored

Knocking from somewhere.

ven377

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
The knocking is all over the place and it sounds like something is loose bouncing around.

My car started to make this knocking sound about a month ago.
First thing I thought was " The motor is done..."
So I had it towed home and tried to figure out where the knocking was coming from. I went and bought a stethoscope I was pretty sure the sound was coming from the bell housing.

A month prior to this I had just had my McLeod RST and flywheel installed. So I thought maybe my flywheel bolts might have been loose or something.

So i had the car towed to the transmission shop again. They said they installed everything right and said the sound was coming from the engine. So they drained the oil to see if the car had metal inside but found nothing. They said it sounded like a rod bearing went bad.

After this the car went to the mechanic to find out what the knock was. The car was at the mechanics for a week and they just kept taking guesses as to where the sound was coming from.

I know its hard to determine where the knocking is from in a video. but maybe someone might recognize it.

[ame]
Sponsored

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
The knocking is all over the place and it sounds like something is loose bouncing around.

My car started to make this knocking sound about a month ago.
First thing I thought was " The motor is done..."
So I had it towed home and tried to figure out where the knocking was coming from. I went and bought a stethoscope I was pretty sure the sound was coming from the bell housing.

A month prior to this I had just had my McLeod RST and flywheel installed. So I thought maybe my flywheel bolts might have been loose or something.

So i had the car towed to the transmission shop again. They said they installed everything right and said the sound was coming from the engine. So they drained the oil to see if the car had metal inside but found nothing. They said it sounded like a rod bearing went bad.

After this the car went to the mechanic to find out what the knock was. The car was at the mechanics for a week and they just kept taking guesses as to where the sound was coming from.

I know its hard to determine where the knocking is from in a video. but maybe someone might recognize it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_nMdD7QheQ&feature=youtu.be
It's sure not a rod bearing ..I have heard a lot of rod bearing in my 45 years of working on race cars and they didn't sound like that .. Sound to me like something lose in the bell housing area ..Or a Balancer that has worked lose .. If you had that much noise coming from a rod bearing you should see low or no oil pressure ..

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
schnikes. jeeze. I agree with above, doesn't sound anything like rod knock. obviously something rotating, since it changes with rpm. Gotta be something with clutch/flywheel would be my guess. and whatever it is, sounds like it's being flung outward and then hitting on something inside bell housing as it spins around?

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Sounds like a spun rod bearing knock to me. Watch some other youtube videos for reference.

OP
OP
ven377

ven377

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
[/URL] It's sure not a rod bearing ..I have heard a lot of rod bearing in my 45 years of working on race cars and they didn't sound like that .. Sound to me like something lose in the bell housing area ..Or a Balancer that has worked lose .. If you had that much noise coming from a rod bearing you should see low or no oil pressure ..[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your Input!

Sponsored

OP
OP
ven377

ven377

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
schnikes. jeeze. I agree with above, doesn't sound anything like rod knock. obviously something rotating, since it changes with rpm. Gotta be something with clutch/flywheel would be my guess. and whatever it is, sounds like it's being flung outward and then hitting on something inside bell housing as it spins around?
I hope, for the past month ive been looking into built long blocks lol...

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
If it was affecting the engine, wouldn't something be thrown off in your logs?

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Did the noise start after a hard pull? You said the oil was drained and nothing...did you cut open the oil filter and see if anything was in there. Don't know much about the whipples..any possibility it's in the blower?

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
Here is another video.

The noise comes and goes , not something you would normally hear with a spun rod bearing .. It hard to really hear what is going on from a video , I'm sure it sounds a little different to your ear than in the video ..Most cases a rod knock will have a deeper sound , deeper in the block sound .. It will also have a quick double knock sound as the rod loads and unloads on the crank ..I can't be 100% sure but I feel it not a bearing problem .. It's not a wrist pin either nor piston slap ( both of those have a totally different sound ).. If it were me I would be looking at the balancer bolt or pulley bolts and checking the flywheel and clutch bolts ..:confused:

Sponsored
OP
OP
ven377

ven377

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Thank you all for the comments and helping trouble shoot this.

Here is a video from under the car and ngauge knock.

[ame]

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
Being a auto tech for 45 years when ever anyone brings in a car with a problem I always ask one question " what was the last thing done to the car " And that is where I start looking first.. The fact that the guys that did your clutch install didn't remove the trans and have a look see bugs me .. I'm sure some places ( not all ) will want to blame it on something else and not the work they did .. Happens all the time .. So if it sounds like it coming from the bell housing to you that would be the first place I would look .. You saw nothing in the drained oil right ? I would still cut the oil filter open just to have a look see .. If you see any brass colored shavings in the filter get ready to order a short block ..But if you find nothing .... Well go back to the clutch and have a look .. It could also be the blower but I have never owned a whipple or PD blower so I don't have a clue on what it would sound like if something were wrong with it ..

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
Thank you all for the comments and helping trouble shoot this.

Here is a video from under the car and ngauge knock.

Stick a magnet next to the hole on the bell housing , let it set there with the motor running for a while ... I'm betting it will pick up some medal shavings ...:eyebulge:

OP
OP
ven377

ven377

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Removed the serpentine belt. so the blower is good.
[ame]
Sponsored