Sponsored

What makes the Cyclone such a durable engine?

RedRyan98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Question, in doing my research before picking up my V6 Mustang I read a lot about how the Cyclone was durable, reliable, bulletproof, can handle a lot more power, etc... Being new to the Ford/Mustang world can someone mention what about the engine gives it that reputation? Or does it just have a history of running reliably with few problems?

Thanks
Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Last edited:

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Simplicity and the fact this engine has been around for a while. This was also a Mazda collaboration (aka Mazda MZI) for which they are known for fairly decent engineering.

OP
OP

RedRyan98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks guys.

spykexx sorry to hear of your troubles. hopefully that's the exception, not the rule

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys.

spykexx sorry to hear of your troubles. hopefully that's the exception, not the rule
Hey man, fair game and can happen to any engine. It did get me into an S550 though ;)

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
From my reading most of it's internals are forged, with improved heads from the 3.5 ecoboost.
That article does not mention anything about forged connecting rods and pistons. Also, considering how the more expensive Coyote doesn't have those I can't imagine that the most basic of engines in the lineup has forged internals. The rods are powder metal and pistons hypereutectic.

Although that doesn't mean that the engine can't be bulletproff and reliable without forged stuff. If anything, hyper pistons are going to be more reliable in a stock non boosted application. Combine that with a relatively low compression and better materials, the engine can be reliable in stock form.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That article does not mention anything about forged connecting rods and pistons. Also, considering how the more expensive Coyote doesn't have those I can't imagine that the most basic of engines in the lineup has forged internals. The rods are powder metal and pistons hypereutectic.

Although that doesn't mean that the engine can't be bulletproff and reliable without forged stuff. If anything, hyper pistons are going to be more reliable in a stock non boosted application. Combine that with a relatively low compression and better materials, the engine can be reliable in stock form.
[MENTION=15869]EFI[/MENTION] Directly from the article.

A 3.7-liter V-6 engine (95.5mm bore and 86.7mm stroke) was used previously in some of Ford’s transversely mounted front-drive crossover applications, but now it has been turned into a longitudinal rear-drive engine for the Mustang that is all new except for the forged steel crankshaft, connecting rods, and a few small parts. It features new heads, a new heavily ribbed and reinforced cylinder block, 10.5:1 pistons flycut to make room for the valves at maximum lift, new front cover and accessory drive, new composite intake manifolding, and especially the new valvetrain.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Right it says new forged crank and new connecting rods, which like I said are of a powedermetal type forging. So technically not forged the same way as a forged steel connecting rods, it's still strong. Nothing about the pistons.

@EFI Directly from the article.

A 3.7-liter V-6 engine (95.5mm bore and 86.7mm stroke) was used previously in some of Ford’s transversely mounted front-drive crossover applications, but now it has been turned into a longitudinal rear-drive engine for the Mustang that is all new except for the forged steel crankshaft, connecting rods, and a few small parts. It features new heads, a new heavily ribbed and reinforced cylinder block, 10.5:1 pistons flycut to make room for the valves at maximum lift, new front cover and accessory drive, new composite intake manifolding, and especially the new valvetrain.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never said it had forged pistons. Just new ones.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Over-engineered and understressed, most likely.

Sponsored

superblur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang
Yeah on our cyclone group we have people who have been running 500 - 550 rwhp for years with no problem. There is even a guy running a little over 600 rwhp on E85 and beats the crap out of his car, but the jury is still out on how long that one will last.

revtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
6 bolt splayed main caps. Forged everything (except pistons). It was engineered as future proof but the future passed it by. Too easy to get the motor into GT horsepower territory and Ford needs CAFE cap room for those trucks and SUVs.
Simple and relatively inexpensive to get to 350 horsepower reliably.
I did a lot of research before buying a 3.7 V6 and I am convinced I made the right decision for me. The sound of the V8 is the only thing I miss.

OP
OP

RedRyan98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
thanks for the reply folks! I'm hoping a procharger is in my future and its good to know the 3.7 should be able to handle it.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At 8 psi normal tune, you should be just fine!
Sponsored