Sponsored

Oil Change Surprise...

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Had the dealership do the first oil change along with my initial service and some other fixes. For several reasons I've decided not to take my car back to the dealership unless there is a significant warranty problem.

Here is one more surprise that reinforces my decision to avoid the dealer. When I got under there to change the oil, the attached is what I found.

Filter was barely past finger tight (i.e. two fingers and almost no effort required to remove it). Luckily the leak wasn't very fast and only about 150% of normal oil loss, so no harm done other than the oily mess down there collecting dirt.

Serves as a good reminder to check on things often...
Resized_20171019_183853.jpeg
Resized_20171019_183905.jpeg
Resized_20171019_183832.jpeg
Sponsored

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
Jeez. I've never paid for an oil change. This is a good reassuring point to keep doing my own work.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Oh wow.
Factory I believe is finger tight and then half turn.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Oh wow.
Factory I believe is finger tight and then half turn.
Pffft. I needed an oil filter wrench to get the factory filter off. Felt like they used an impact gun to put that sucker on.

Scary that the filter was loose enough to leak oil. Close to disaster there.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
To remove an oil filter I've put on one of these cars, you can do so by hand with a good grip on it, but it's really hard to get it to move at first. I screw it in until my wrist torque meter says stop. Never had a problem on any vehicle (unless the seal is bad, which happened once on my Chevy truck). I wish American car companies would do what Mercedes does - canister filter element that's located in the engine bay facing straight up and down so nobody has to create an oil spill while contorted upside-down to change an oil filter. Or what Toyota does - a canister filter element under the car that you remove with a ratchet extension, pull a drain plug under that, then open the canister without a single drop of oil all over yourself. I also poke a hole into the filter casing before removing it - that reduces the mess, but doesn't eliminate it unfortunately.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

To remove an oil filter I've put on one of these cars, you can do so by hand with a good grip on it, but it's really hard to get it to move at first. I screw it in until my wrist torque meter says stop. Never had a problem on any vehicle (unless the seal is bad, which happened once on my Chevy truck). I wish American car companies would do what Mercedes does - canister filter element that's located in the engine bay facing straight up and down so nobody has to create an oil spill while contorted upside-down to change an oil filter. Or what Toyota does - a canister filter element under the car that you remove with a ratchet extension, pull a drain plug under that, then open the canister without a single drop of oil all over yourself. I also poke a hole into the filter casing before removing it - that reduces the mess, but doesn't eliminate it unfortunately.
That wasn't just on Mercedes, but VAG cars have that design as well. Easily accessible too. There was a shaft that attaches to the oil cap. Press the filter onto the oil cap and it covers most of the shaft. Put 2 O-rings on the end of the shaft and you are good. No mess. Guess it's a German thing.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Guess it's a German thing.
My 2004 F250 6.0 diesel has filter canister on top for no drip replacement. Remove cap, R&R cartridge, replace cap o-ring, torque cap to 18 ftlbs.

The Fomoto drain is a real time saver too. The 15 qt oil capacity takes a while to drain though.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
My dealer charges the equivalent of an extra $10/quart for using full synthethic! And they don't fill it full! I have to add at least 1/2 quart myself when I get it home.
At least they tighten it correctly. The Ford dealer does enter the oil change/mileage into my warranty records...but I have decided to do my own changes and keep the sales receipts.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
One of the only things that I absolutely HATE about this car is the oil filter. I don't know why Ford can't just put them straight vertically. The last time I changed my oil, I had to poke a hole in the bottom, then hammer a screwdriver into it to use it as a torque arm to get the damn thing off. The filter is small, but there's still no room between the filter and the subframe rail.

I do miss the cartridge filters of my wife's Mercedes and Mazda. Life is SOOO much easier, though there's definitely fewer options when it comes to filter brands.

JR

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
One of the only things that I absolutely HATE about this car is the oil filter. I don't know why Ford can't just put them straight vertically. The last time I changed my oil, I had to poke a hole in the bottom, then hammer a screwdriver into it to use it as a torque arm to get the damn thing off. The filter is small, but there's still no room between the filter and the subframe rail.

I do miss the cartridge filters of my wife's Mercedes and Mazda. Life is SOOO much easier, though there's definitely fewer options when it comes to filter brands.

JR
Just get a filter socket from Autozone. $5 works every time.

Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Did my first change on this car yesterday. I'm surprised on how small the filter is to begin with, no point in pre-filling it...unlike my 7.3 PSD which has a filter that holds about 2 quarts ;)
I poked a hole to pre-drain it but it didn't really help with reducing the mess when unscrewing it. First it drained low, then high and a few ounces went past my drain bowl. Fortunately I used some foil to cover the nearby wiring and prevented that mess. I used one of those strap type tools to loosen it before unscrewing it by hand.
Draining the pan was uneventful :)
Filling it was different since the angle of the fill port is pretty big. Had to prop up my usual funnel to prevent spillage up there.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Just get a filter socket from Autozone. $5 works every time.
I have the cap wrench, if that's what you're talking about, and it's too tight in there.

JR
Sponsored