Sponsored

Gt 5.0 vs 2017 Camaro 1LE

Armen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Vert
EVERY SINGLE REVIEW I've read on the new Camaro SS (and even the V6) gives it stellar reviews. The only real issue mentioned is the view from the driver's seat, but everyone says they get used to it.

The reviews on the ZL1 are even more impressive. It's being called a tripple threat because it can do everything well... Strip, Road Course and daily driving.

I read an article where they purposely tried to get it to overheat because they were wondering if it would suffer the same issue that the Z06 has, seeing as it's the same motor. The results... Nope. They couldn't. I guess 11 different coolers did the trick.

I love my current Mustang and I've loved every one I've ever had. All my cars have been tracked and remained solid. The aftermarket for them is so amazing. I also am on my 5th F150 and have owned various other Ford products. So yes, I'm a Ford Fan.

But for anyone to say the new Camaro, and particularly the new ZL1, is an underachiever is just trying to feed complete BS. They are great cars for the enthusiast.

Neither the GT350 (and most certainly not the R) or the ZL1 are affordable to me, and I'd still likely pick a GT350 if they were, but you cannot realistically knock the new Camaro's performance and expect to be taken seriously.
Sponsored

shawndean22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I think i may get the 1LE. MSRP is 45k, and dealer near me has 3 for 39k i can probably get lower. Someone totaled my mustang, the 1LE package is nice.

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
I think i may get the 1LE. MSRP is 45k, and dealer near me has 3 for 39k i can probably get lower. Someone totaled my mustang, the 1LE package is nice.
Go for it, man. It's an awesome car. Yes, the blind spots are a worse than the S550, but get some of the side mirror stickons, like the S550's get from the factory, and that'll go a long way in eliminating the blind spot. Also, the trunk is narrow, and the interior materials aren't quite as good.

Ok, enough of the meaningless concerns. The rest of the car is brilliant. Even a base V6 auto rental had a tighter chassis than my current 5.0. Sad, really.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Go for it, man. It's an awesome car. Yes, the blind spots are a worse than the S550, but get some of the side mirror stickons, like the S550's get from the factory, and that'll go a long way in eliminating the blind spot. Also, the trunk is narrow, and the interior materials aren't quite as good.

Ok, enough of the meaningless concerns. The rest of the car is brilliant. Even a base V6 auto rental had a tighter chassis than my current 5.0. Sad, really.
That is what we used on our 5th and 6th Gens. We stick them on the A-Pillar tubing on each side. Get the plastic ones and superglue. I got hit in the bridge of the nose with one at Beaver Run. I crash a 4th Gen in AS in 2014 and a mirror to the nose was the only injury that day.

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
That is what we used on our 5th and 6th Gens. We stick them on the A-Pillar tubing on each side. Get the plastic ones and superglue. I got hit in the bridge of the nose with one at Beaver Run. I crash a 4th Gen in AS in 2014 and a mirror to the nose was the only injury that day.
Ok. I laughed... Because I had the same thing happen to me as well. Although I wasn't racing when it happened. Not exactly the most pleasant surprise...

Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Coyote Red in sport mode

To tighten the S550 chassis buy BMR CB005 & CB006, fix you right up! Worked for me. Ask for Kelly.
tn_DSCN1321.JPG

Last edited:

randypipe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 1le
1le impressions

Yea the line of site can be challenging
Hard driving will eat up the Goodyear Super Car 3 Tires

Those are my only negatives
The price $39600 plus ttl (Included PDR)
As a daily driver, the ride in tour mode is great, not harsh for my tastes
Very responsive handling.
And finally its a sweet looking ride.
20170506_194405210_iOS.jpg
20170506_194401727_iOS.jpg
20170506_194355970_iOS.jpg

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
The rear spoiler is the best one I've seen on a camaro, it really helps out the rear end. Looks good!

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Thats a nice looking car and color. I never did like the rap on the hood though.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yea the line of site can be challenging
Hard driving will eat up the Goodyear Super Car 3 Tires

Those are my only negatives
The price $39600 plus ttl (Included PDR)
As a daily driver, the ride in tour mode is great, not harsh for my tastes
Very responsive handling.
And finally its a sweet looking ride.
Nice.

I guess the sight line issue kind of "depends". Then again, sitting in a 6th gen and adjusting the seat a little at the Philly auto show probably wasn't a very demanding test.

I've always liked the blacked out hood treatment on cars with road-racing intent. Paying homage in this manner to the Trans-Am cars of the late 60's and early 70's adds to the car's road course character. As should be the case here.

Norm

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Supercar for under 40k :eek:

I do agree with the spoiler comments makes quite a difference.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Sweet looking 1LE and screaming deal for what you get. Love the rear spoiler. Just take the wrap off the hood and your ready to go!

Minion GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP 6M
I just felt I had to comment, because I think after watching A Faster Horse http://fasterhorsefilm.com/ and reading about the thoughts behind the design of the three remaining muscle cars (Mustang, Camaro, Challenger), I have come away with the feeling folks are missing the point of these three cars. I bought the Mustang GT for one reason: It's a modern interpretation of a 1960s muscle car. The Challenger is a modern muscle car. The difference being the Mustang has modern features such as a high-revving V8 and an independent rear suspension, but unlike the modernized interior of the Challenger, the 2016 GT Premium has an interpreted 1969 Mustang retro interior.

The Camaro is a different car entirely, and except for the name, I'd probably not consider it a muscle car. It has clearly moved into the performance coupe category, with the 1LE outperforming the BMW M4 at nearly every spec. That is precisely why I did not buy it. I wanted a muscle car, with its inherent heavy front end, tail-happy rear, and all too eager to roast the rear tire attitude. I wanted the looks and the heritage. I did not want the headaches of dealing with a literal 50 year old daily driver carbureted car.

I love all three cars, but to me, the 2016 Mustang is perfect. I am very careful to include modifications which do not change the favorable characteristics. I do not want to turn it into a 1LE competitor; I did install the FRPP Sport exhaust, GT350 intake and tune, wider 285/40-19 rear tires, and will most likely install the FRPP Track Anti-Sway Bars. I've decided I do not want the earlier mods I thought I wanted (and posted about) and will likely retain the stock ride height.

In the end, I can enjoy driving a muscle car daily, preferably with the windows down, listening to Led Zeppelin, and enjoying the antics which made these class of cars so much fun.
picture.jpg

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
The Challenger has IRS... it is much bigger and heavier, but also much more civilized if that is what you are looking for in a DD. I really wanted a modern version of the "personal luxury coupe" class that was so popular in the 70-80's (T-Bird, Cutlass, Regal, etc.) The Challenger definitely falls in that category size wise and the base car has stuff like dual zone AC, touch screen, (uconnect is far better than sync) wipers on with headlights, etc. I still like the styling on the Mustang a bit better, but the Challenger does have the classic muscle car look.
2017 Challenger.jpg
Sponsored