Ridetech Level 2 Coilovers installed:

Sharad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
UPR is now a Ridetech dealer, so I ordered Ridetech's Level 2 Coilovers immediately after I bought my 2016 5.0. The Level 2 coilovers are single adjustable on the rebound stroke, and they retail for $2400. These are on what I'd consider the affordable end of quality coilover systems, so I was excited to try them out. Here's a quick walk through of the system, followed by my thoughts after driving it.

People who know me from my days writing for 5.0 Magazine or Marketing for UPR know that everything I drive gets lowered. I loved my new 5.0 from the day I bought it, but the suspension was definitely its biggest weakness. I suppose it's squishy to please the masses, but that is not conducive to cornering grip. So two weeks after I bought the car, this glorious package from Ridetech showed up:

The struts are nicely made, looking very rugged. Durability will not be an issue with these. Despite their solid build, they seemed to be lighter than the stock struts. (I didn't weigh them)

Installation was pretty straight forward. The struts come assembled, so there's no guesswork here. I eyeballed the camber setting until I can get the car to an alignment shop.

The rear coilovers are very compact, but appear heavy duty as well.

The rear coilovers come with a heavy duty upper mount, which is a smart move since the stock mount isn't designed to hold the load from the springs. Once you get the stock springs out, the installation is very simple but tedious. The whole job took six hours on jack stands using hand tools, and I was taking my time since I've never lowered an S550 before. I could probably do it again in 4.

400# front springs and 500# rear springs installed without preload yielded roughly a 1.5" drop. There are 24 clicks of adjustment on the dampers. Ridetech instructs you to turn the knobs fully clockwise (full stiff) and then turn the knobs back 20 clicks, which would be pretty soft. I tend to like a very firm suspension setup, and these spring rates were on the higher end of what they recommend for the street, so I only turned back 5 clicks front and rear. [five clicks away from full stiff] Note: You can reach through the rear wheels to adjust the shocks, so the whole system can be adjusted in a minute or two on the side of the road, with no tools. That's convenient.

Now that I've been able to drive them around all day, I wanted to share some feedback on the system. In short- WOW, I'm impressed. It's difficult to put into words how much of an improvement this Ridetech system is! It's no secret that the S550 suspension is far more sophisticated than anything Ford has used on Mustangs in the past, but the factory shocks and struts were still insufficient. Randy Pobst had quite a bit of praise in his review of the 2015 Mustang GT PP, but his only real criticism (vs the Camaro SS 1LE in the same test) was that the dampers were holding the Mustang back.

Well I'm here to tell you- the Ridetech coilovers changed all of that! I've been fortunate enough to drive Z06s, Vipers, Porsches, BMWs, even a Lamborghini... and I can honestly say that I would put this car up against any of those cars, stock for stock, at an HPDE. Just let me run the Ridetech coilovers! :D Mind you- the suspension on this car is bone stock. In the two weeks that I've owned it, I threw on an MBRP Race cat-back and wheels & tires- that's it.

With no other suspension mods, the car handles so well that my biggest problem was finding a public road to test the limits. Even turning left at a four-way intersection in a 45-zone, all I had to do was drop a couple gears, didn't even touch the brakes, and it railed right around the corner, nice and flat without so much as a wiggle. Nice. I was concerned that it might not handle as well over the rough stuff since I have it set so stiff, but I found a high speed sweeper with some pretty rough seams in the pavement. I flew around that corner, hammer down, and though I could feel the bumps coming through the car pretty hard, it stayed planted and begged for more! This is insanity. The Ridetech system totally transformed an otherwise stock Mustang.

I look forward to pushing this thing a little harder at Sebring next month for the TrackGuys.com HPDE, with some UPR goodies thrown in to sweeten the deal. :)

Sponsored

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Cool stuff. I like the mount too.

From your picture, I wonder if an aftermarket halfshaft would fit because it looks like a tight fit already by the boot.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
wow i bet that rear feels totally different.

OP
OP
Sharad

Sharad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

From your picture, I wonder if an aftermarket halfshaft would fit because it looks like a tight fit already by the boot.
The first segment of the boot (the smallest one) is about an inch away from the coilover. The boots on the aftermarket shafts don't look any bigger to me.

OP
OP
Sharad

Sharad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
wow i bet that rear feels totally different.
Yeah man, front and rear. I was trying to think of ways to describe how the car handles... it reminds me a little bit of a 125cc shifter kart I once drove. Also reminds me of my friend's autocross prepped Miata I drove.

It's pretty nutty that a 3700lb Mustang handles like this with no other mods. (and I have a lot of other suspension mods headed my way, in preparation for Sebring)

Last edited:

Sponsored

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
aaaand now i need to save for coilovers.

Guard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid Red GT500 CFTP

Yes. FRPP's on mine.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
How often should these be serviced?

Guard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
You make some great points, particularly about the stock suspension. With stock power the car is an okay handler but when you start adding power the car is very unsettled. I've got a bunch of other suspension mods but this same system has really tightened the car up. The mushiness and oscillation present when attempting to power out of a corner is gone. Congrats, you're going to enjoy it!

Guard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
How often should these be serviced?
Not sure. They can be rebuilt and re-valved if wanted. You can PM Josh@ridetech, he frequents the board.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sharad

Sharad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You make some great points, particularly about the stock suspension. With stock power the car is an okay handler but when you start adding power the car is very unsettled. I've got a bunch of other suspension mods but this same system has really tightened the car up. The mushiness and oscillation present when attempting to power out of a corner is gone. Congrats, you're going to enjoy it!
Thanks, yeah Josh talked to me about your car and the other guy... Jeremiah, I think? That helped make my decision to buy these. I swear I will not be adding power to this car (got a little carried away with my 2011 5.0 last year, 957rwhp) but I want my 2016 to handle well. I'm within close driving distance of Sebring, Daytona, PBIR, and Homestead, so I want to spend more time doing HPDEs. I have a few more goodies to add, and it should do a little better than my 2011 did last year at Sebring.

Guard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, yeah Josh talked to me about your car and the other guy... Jeremiah, I think? That helped make my decision to buy these. I swear I will not be adding power to this car (got a little carried away with my 2011 5.0 last year, 957rwhp) but I want my 2016 to handle well. I'm within close driving distance of Sebring, Daytona, PBIR, and Homestead, so I want to spend more time doing HPDEs. I have a few more goodies to add, and it should do a little better than my 2011 did last year at Sebring.
Nice location! Here we have corn... And soybeans, though Ridetech is 2 miles from my house. Those guys put together some really nice stuff and the business is a perpetual car show. I actually saw my car on the UPR website.

OP
OP
Sharad

Sharad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Nice location! Here we have corn... And soybeans, though Ridetech is 2 miles from my house. Those guys put together some really nice stuff and the business is a perpetual car show. I actually saw my car on the UPR website.
I grew up in Ohio so I know what you mean. ;)

And yeah, I posted a pic of your car when Josh texted it to me. It's gorgeous! #HighPressureSalesTactics LOL! Kidding.

Guard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I'll look you guys up next time I'm buying which is never too far off. I tend to spread it around.

OP
OP
Sharad

Sharad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'll look you guys up next time I'm buying which is never too far off. I tend to spread it around.
Ha! I was referring to Josh using high pressure sales tactics when he texted me pics of your car. I loved it!!

But hey, we'll take care of you if you need anything. ;)
Sponsored