Sponsored

Have you blown an engine? If so, what rod (cylinder) failed?

What rod (cylinder) failed on your engine?

• Total voters

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
The data on the plug failures is not being shared for one reason or another. Research not complete or conclusive? Not sure.
When I said I couldn't find data on oil galley plug failures I didn't mean just on EcoBoost engines; I can't find any data to suggest these are an area of concern for ANY manufacturer's engines. The biggest problem for oil galley plugs seems to be rebuilders forgetting to put them back in after cleaning the block.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I wonder if ThunderHorse's original blown engine was replaced or just rebuilt. Do service shops at dealerships rebuild engines or just buy a rebuilt engine and replace the original?
From friend's that work at Ford dealerships, the engines are replaced. Most of the time, they 1) don't have the resources to do the machine work, so it would have to be outsourced and 2) most techs aren't competent enough to correctly assemble a bare engine. Swapping parts is one thing while accurately checking a bore for an out of round condition is another. I'm not busting on techs either as some would more than be up to the task at hand, but with the resources needed and time that would be involved, it's cheaper and easier to replace the entire unit.

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
I’ve never heard of the plugs failing in any type of engine either till this one. At one point in time something like 3 out of 4 blown engines in Adams shop had one of those plugs chilling in the oil pan. Which is why he started looking into that being a problem.

Never heard anything else about it though.

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
The data on the plug failures is not being shared for one reason or another. Research not complete or conclusive? Not sure.
The secret Facebook page, with super cool tuners that keep it on the low down when engine blows up..

Tuned or not..:lol :cheers:

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Why in this gods green earth are we yapping about ficticious pics on Facebook ?
There are 0 to be had .
Freeze plugs have always been pressed in . Try taking 1 out ..

Engine building is performed by highly competant personnel and Not ordinary Dealership ASE cert. Techs .

Last edited:

Sponsored

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve never heard of the plugs failing in any type of engine either till this one. At one point in time something like 3 out of 4 blown engines in Adams shop had one of those plugs chilling in the oil pan. Which is why he started looking into that being a problem.

Never heard anything else about it though.
I have rebuilt many motors pressed in is fine for this engine until you see 150 psi oil pressure is we're you need too thread..:clap2:

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
:ford:
There are 0 to be had .

Engine building is performed by highly competant personnel and Not ordinary Dealership ASE cert. Techs .
Good point ASE cert machanics rock..:headbang:

I hope those that are selling blocks have a mechanic on staff.:ford:

Last edited:

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
:ford:
From friend's that work at Ford dealerships, the engines are replaced. Most of the time, they 1) don't have the resources to do the machine work, so it would have to be outsourced and 2) most techs aren't competent enough to correctly assemble a bare engine. Swapping parts is one thing while accurately checking a bore for an out of round condition is another. I'm not busting on techs either as some would more than be up to the task at hand, but with the resources needed and time that would be involved, it's cheaper and easier to replace the entire unit.
Thank you sir for all your input mate:clap2:

Same as my dealership, but I don't know what state your in,and I do know for sure in wa. State it is required to build a long block to get certified

Last edited:
OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
There are 0 to be had .

Engine building is performed by highly competant personnel and Not ordinary Dealership ASC cert. Techs .
I did take them out. A little easier than you'd imagine. It's much like de-ringing the balance shaft gear from the crankshaft. A couple of light pings with a punch and off it goes while your jaw drops at how easy it was.

Engine building isn't rocket science, lol. You just have to be precise and know what you're looking for/at.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did take them out. A little easier than you'd imagine. It's much like de-ringing the balance shaft gear from the crankshaft. A couple of light pings with a punch and off it goes while your jaw drops at how easy it was.

Engine building isn't rocket science, lol. You just have to be precise and know what you're looking for/at.
With lots of precision instruments for measuring .. ' freeze plugs " that's the oldest trick in the book .

Ya know that engine for sale ..I just might buy it and put it back together with performance parts ..

Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
There's been a few that I've seen. I took one apart over the weekend. It hadn't blown yet, but it had several ongoing issues. Cracked block, damaged/cracked piston, head gasket ready to blow, etc. He's getting a new block and we're building a new one and trying some new ideas.
Sponsored