Sponsored

Convertible exhaust?

GiddyUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT convertible, 50th anniversary pkg, blk/blk
Just took delivery of my convertible today and had the dealer install the FRPP Borla touring cat backs. There was no problem with the pipes navigating the bracing. Surprisingly, there is still misinformation out there as my call to AmericanMuscle said not to buy it due to fitment issues. A big shout out to Jay from Hypermotive for saying otherwise and shipping a quality product in a short amount of time. The touring has a much lower/deeper tone at idle which is slightly louder than stock ... pretty much perfect for me. When you open it up, you will get everybody's attention real quick!!! And the larger tips are more suited to the car than stock.
Sponsored

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Just took delivery of my convertible today and had the dealer install the FRPP Borla touring cat backs. There was no problem with the pipes navigating the bracing. Surprisingly, there is still misinformation out there as my call to AmericanMuscle said not to buy it due to fitment issues. A big shout out to Jay from Hypermotive for saying otherwise and shipping a quality product in a short amount of time. The touring has a much lower/deeper tone at idle which is slightly louder than stock ... pretty much perfect for me. When you open it up, you will get everybody's attention real quick!!! And the larger tips are more suited to the car than stock.
Can you describe the sound in the car (top & windows up)? What if any low resonance drone do you get from 1500-1900 rpms?

GiddyUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT convertible, 50th anniversary pkg, blk/blk
Sorry for the late reply davekro

I don't profess to be an expert at drone so I brought it to a few friends who have experience with aftermarket exhaust systems. They confirm no drone during a full range of rpm. At the low rpm you are wondering, deep, low and throaty is the best way to describe it. As you rev it up, there is no moderation between the low and throaty to loud and raspy. The latter I mean as a compliment as well ... I am impressed with both sounds at the rpm range where it changes.

With the top up, it is loud inside the cabin. Louder than I thought but quite frankly it's music to my ears. I'm quite impressed with this product in all regards.

Last thing on the topic is that when it arrived, the salesperson, garage mechanics and even the dealer principle thought I was nuts to put this on. After it was installed, they had a complete change of heart.

MagneticMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
I'm past all the fitment issues and drama, had my FRPP cat back on for over 2 months now. Love the sound.

I can't imagine having the stock exhaust on any more.

I like listening to the exhaust more than I do the radio :)

painoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Vert
Convertible Magnaflow Street fitment issues. Magnaflow clearly rushed the convertible street catback to market. I put the exhaust in myself. Fit was horrible. Took it to a muffler shop to get them to center the tips in the fascia. They made it better, but the reveal in the rear fascia is still off. Shop stated they would need to cut the tips, shorten them and can't them outward as the tips are canted inward compared to the rear fascia. Love the sound of the magnaflow, but the fitment is horrible.

Sponsored

ATLFalconGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Avalanche
I know Roush recently released the quad tip AB for convertibles. Will require the Roush valence though

Nickrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Anybody know if an older borla (not FRPP) touring cat back from 2015 will fit under the bracing? Just bought a used system and getting concerned that they may have the same issue as the early FRPPs.

MagneticMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Anybody know if an older borla (not FRPP) touring cat back from 2015 will fit under the bracing? Just bought a used system and getting concerned that they may have the same issue as the early FRPPs.
Should be a fitment statement on Borla's web site.

The difference between the Borla by FRPP exhaust that fit and didn't fit was the location of the hanging bracket on the midpipe section, no difference in the bend of the pipes

The correction for the FRPP pipes were made about 3/2015

Nickrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Thanks! The part number indicates that it works on the convertible. Should show up tomorrow and I'll know this weekend.

Sponsored
OP
OP
GiddyUp15

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible

Nickrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
If i could only figure out how! Video is either too big or when i use a 3rd party comprssion app the file type is invalid! Working it!

OP
OP
GiddyUp15

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
If i could only figure out how! Video is either too big or when i use a 3rd party comprssion app the file type is invalid! Working it!
Throw it on YouTube then but the link here. If you put the full link it'll automatically embed it here :)

TCZGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT Convertible
Planning to get the Magnaflow Street Cat Back. I understand that the updated system fits the convertibles.
*Just to clarify... Is it necessary to remove the brace then reinstall it or does the system bolt in place without having to remove the brace.

Much appreciated.
Sponsored