Possible Crash Cover Up: SHELBY GT350

8WOOD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
GT350 owners, I need your help! I just purchased a new GT350. After I purchased it, I noticed terrible gaps between the rear bumper and the body. After a few events with this dealer, needles to say, I don't trust them and will not be taking the car back to be serviced at their location.

From the looks of the bumper, it looked like a couple clips were not hooked on causing the massive gap in my bumper. Instead of wasting my time at a Ford service center, I decided to just take the bumper off and re attach it correctly. I got as far as removing the tail light before I saw what appears to be a collision repair job on the two inwards plastic support assemblies for the bumper. I need to know if this is normal for the GT350s. It appears the plastic support assemblies have been purposely soldered to the rear bumper. It does not look OEM by any means, and I believe will prevent the rear bumper from being removed at all.

Here's the gap

Here's with the head lights off

Here's a link in the pictures don't show up:
https://goo.gl/photos/BS7v9HBmgLEMFTVV6

If any of you have had your tail lights off, please let me know if this is normal.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Looks just like shitty Ford quality.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Looks just like shitty Ford quality.
Looks like its right off the line to me :D

Kidding aside, you need to go back to where you bought it. How long have you had it? It might come down to he said/she said, but you need to get on it. I nit picked my car before it left the lot......

Best of luck

MARFOR

2017 Ruby-red GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2015 STI
First thought, it may have been damaged in transit or during offload at the dealership. If this is the case I could see a dealer trying to cover it up.
Thank you for pointing this out. Adding it to my check list when I go to pick up mine.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
No thats a cover up, get a lawyer....sue them for a new car or restitution! Question though how did you not see that before delivery?

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

***GT350***

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
true story---a friend bought a Raptor, brand new, took delivery. Few days later, as he was detailing the car, he realized the car had been re-painted on couple of panels. Fast forward, he strolled into the dealership and raised hell. Somehow the dealership and Ford worked it out, and ordered my friend a new raptor. This happened 5 years ago in here---the great S Cal.

scarface

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your mom
You walking into the dealership raising hell won't do much. Contact your local media and watch how the dealer scrambled. A friend bought a Vert. Mustang, like you, she noticed some repairs was done. She tried several times dealing with the GM, they kept brushing her off. I told her to contact "Mark on your side", a local newscaster. She went back to the dealer, GM said he can't help her, she said find, Mark from Channel 5 is on his way down, I'll sit here and wait for him. Suddenly, he offered to investigate, give her a loaner, and pay her car payment while they investigate, if she's willing to call off Mark. 1 week later, they bought her car back. The last thing the dealer want is being on the news.

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I can't see the pics

OP
OP

8WOOD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I've included a link to the photos if they don't load.

Thanks for all your comments. Has anyone had their tail lights out to see if this is a common way they put the bumpers on with our cars?

If it has been damaged. I'll reach out to Ford first, then the dealer, then the media, then a lawyer.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
First, the gap between panels seems to be normal :tsk:

I really can tell what's going on in the other pics

***GT350***

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
gaps look "normal" to me as mine shows similar types of gap. I asked my dealer to send me pics of another gt350 that he has in the showroom and it looked the same. He also added "all of his mustangs" have the same issue of rear bumper fitment. I won't be taking off the bumper as I'm really mechanically-challenged!

I wonder....if the assembly line has been instructed to literally hold a heat-gun in their hands, and simply heat the crap out of these plastics so they can push the bumper on.

No way the management and QC would think the misalignments from the thousands of these mustangs are"within tolerance". My question is how much longer (if they have not started) will it be before they decide to address the issue.

OP
OP

8WOOD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Sorry those are not good photos of the gap. I'm really just trying find out if this soldering the plastic is a normal Ford assembly line procedure. If not, then the dealer sold me a car they messed up, and didn't even fix it properly. The gap is way bigger than I've seen on any mustang. You can see that there are clips that are not actually connected.
Sponsored