Sponsored

Ford Dealer- We won't let you see inside the R!

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Going back to the pic posted by the OP.

Bird crap on vinyl means those stripes are toast...

My dealer got delivery on a '17 GT350 for an out of state purchaser. It came off the truck w bird crap on a stripe. They attempted to clean it off but the purchaser rejected it due to the permanent damage. They ended up de-striping the whole vehicle to close the deal.
Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Was out and about and stopped at a smaller Ford dealer today, the last time I was there on a regular GT350 they were a-holes and were firm at $10K over and were acting like they had a Bugatti on the floor. I told myself I'd never buy a car from these guys since they were so pompous, but since an R popped up on the Ford.com inventory search and I was out that way anyways, I'd stop in.

They had a black with black strip R that had just come in, but they had it up in their parking garage tucked away. I inquired, and the salesman said they had one and that they had a buyer for it at $17K that had special ordered it.. and that the buyer had until July 26 to finish the paperwork. I kind of got the vibe that this particular salesman wasn't convinced this deal was going to go through, however, and at $17K over I'm not surprised. On top of that, there are no less than 5 black/black R's within a 100 mile radius that have been sitting at Ford dealers... if you wanted black, you have the pick of the litter on that combo (and not much more in the area lol).

The car was absolutely filthy with bird crap dried all over it, it was dirtier than I've ever seen one come off the truck. I asked to take a peek inside, I was curious as to what # this one was and just to take a look since I don't get to see many in person. The windows were so filthy, you couldn't see a thing. The salesman disappeared and came back and said management wouldn't allow us to open the car and look inside! I couldn't help but just laugh at this.

I've been to Ferrari and Lambo dealers and have always been able to inspect any car I want to that is for sale. My wife and I are not kids, but both professionals and we had both showered that morning (lol). Now perhaps they wouldn't because this one had a supposed buyer, but all I wanted to do was take a peak inside and and perhaps get excited about that R. I didn't want to start it or drive it, just see the inside and Plaque #.

So there ya go, for $17K ADM they will do you a favor and sell you an R.. and you better sign the paperwork before looking or sitting inside. :lol:
Is this the one you were talking about ?

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I think comments like that are uncalled for considering there are likely members on here who did end up paying that much and taking that kind of attitude towards them is partly why people are hesitant about being honest about how much they ended up paying for their R's. This shouldn't be a place where members are judged based on how much they were willing to pay for the car they wanted. It should be a place where members are helped or advised in getting the car, and not being called an idiot for doing so.
TRUTH!

People are so quick to judge someone for paying over sticker for a car and to call them idiots, call them suckers, etc. but yet that isn't supposed to be considered jealousy... and when the owners who did pay the premium point it out as such, they get called snobs :lol:

End of the day anyone who is paying big ADM's aren't worried about the price... heck, look at some of the other cars members on here have... Ferrari's, McLaren's, Porsches, Vipers, etc. and this is a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, sports car for them... these people clearly aren't that concerned over 10-20K. As someone mentioned before, its a large convenience for these buyers who are largely VERY busy people (if you've got money, chances are you're putting in the time and working your ass off for it) and it is convenient to go to your local dealer and simply buy what they have as opposed to shopping around for god knows how long and travelling out of state to save a few grand.

For someone like myself I would be shopping around because I don't have the funds to merely add another 20K to a vehicle and not think twice about it, but I don't think those who did are stupid or idiots, and HATE this line of thinking.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
The real idiots are the ones currently PAYING the $15-$20k ADM. It doesn't take much to find one significantly cheaper.
While I completely disagree with your attitude/views on others and what they pay, I will add that I think your OP isn't that unreasonable.

Ultimately, I think it would have been perfectly reasonable to look inside it, BUT it is also perfectly reasonable for them to have denied you. If you have a problem with that, then others quoting an entitled standpoint are proven correct. You asked for them to indulge you, which is perfectly fine but they were not obligated, so IMO there is no harm no foul in the asking nor the denial.

My local dealer is pretty easy going. I was able to sit in an R last summer that was already bought to see if the Recaro's would be livable.

Gilby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, 98 Cobra
I asked the dealer to lock mine up once I put the deposit down on the car, I had to wait for the recall to be done so it sat in the showroom for a couple of weeks. I think its reasonable that someone says the same thing about their car.

Sponsored

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
At that point, the car is sold, it isn't the dealers car to open up for third party people's jollies.

OP
OP
96cobra

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
While I completely disagree with your attitude/views on others and what they pay, I will add that I think your OP isn't that unreasonable.

Ultimately, I think it would have been perfectly reasonable to look inside it, BUT it is also perfectly reasonable for them to have denied you. If you have a problem with that, then others quoting an entitled standpoint are proven correct. You asked for them to indulge you, which is perfectly fine but they were not obligated, so IMO there is no harm no foul in the asking nor the denial.

My local dealer is pretty easy going. I was able to sit in an R last summer that was already bought to see if the Recaro's would be livable.
I know you feel that way since you posted TWICE in response to my post. Sorry if it upset you.

But if you read my post carefully, I am saying CURRENT buyers. There's plenty of R's advertised by dealers now at $10K over ($5K-$10K savings). If you paid $15K-$20K over last year, then that was more the norm... see the difference? If I asked 100 people if someone was smart for paying $5-$10K over for a car that they could find sitting somewhere else for cheaper, what do you think they'd say? Is there a special exception for the R buyers?

If you ordered one and are locked in, then that's different, you have an agreement. Perhaps I should just say that buyers overpaying right now are not "savvy" instead? Hey, it's your money. I'm not willing to just say the car is so special, it doesn't matter what you pay.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
There are too many topics going on here at once. It is simple to me. If the car really was sold the dealer shouldn't of hinted that it might be available. Once they hint at that, then it is completely unreasonable for them not to at least open the door and let them peek in it. I think the dealer is wrong all the way around in this situation. If I was the one in a similar situation, I would no longer want to deal with them as they seem poorly run. If they can't even get something simple like this correct than I would I doubt they are going to get harder problems resolved in an efficient manner when they arise. Not to mention other things that require trust between the two parties IMO.

MustangGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, LB / White OTT
End of the day anyone who is paying big ADM's aren't worried about the price... heck, look at some of the other cars members on here have... Ferrari's, McLaren's, Porsches, Vipers, etc. and this is a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, sports car for them... these people clearly aren't that concerned over 10-20K. As someone mentioned before, its a large convenience for these buyers who are largely VERY busy people (if you've got money, chances are you're putting in the time and working your ass off for it) and it is convenient to go to your local dealer and simply buy what they have as opposed to shopping around for god knows how long and travelling out of state to save a few grand.

For someone like myself I would be shopping around because I don't have the funds to merely add another 20K to a vehicle and not think twice about it, but I don't think those who did are stupid or idiots, and HATE this line of thinking.
Funny, the wealthiest guys I know are absolutely the cheapest guys I know when making deals. I've seen it many, many times. I have another hobby where some rich guys buy/sell, and every single one of them would cut your throat for $100 to the point of riduculousness. We've (the guys without big money, lol) talk about how they all do it. I'd bet that they'd be looking for a deal instead of just paying the ADM. But that's a totally different subject. :thumbsup:

If someone is looking to buy at $20K over and are just too buys to shop around, PM me and I'll save you $5K and you can buy mine for $15K over. :)

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I know you feel that way since you posted TWICE in response to my post. Sorry if it upset you.

But if you read my post carefully, I am saying CURRENT buyers. There's plenty of R's advertised by dealers now at $10K over ($5K-$10K savings). If you paid $15K-$20K over last year, then that was more the norm... see the difference? If I asked 100 people if someone was smart for paying $5-$10K over for a car that they could find sitting somewhere else for cheaper, what do you think they'd say? Is there a special exception for the R buyers?

If you ordered one and are locked in, then that's different, you have an agreement. Perhaps I should just say that buyers overpaying right now are not "savvy" instead? Hey, it's your money. I'm not willing to just say the car is so special, it doesn't matter what you pay.
Actually I responded to you ONCE. If you merely looked at who I quoted and what I posted.

And don't get me wrong, I am not saying it is a smart or wise or savvy purchase, that would be ridiculous. I just wouldn't choose to call them idiots. Hell call it crazy for all I care, but saying someone is stupid or an idiot for paying X amount with their own money is foolish. Has nothing to do with being an "R" buyer or whatever they are buying. What is the reasoning behind BS comments like that about R owners? I would say the exact same thing were we talking about a Civic or a McLaren.

Yes there are better deals out there right now, especially in the US. There are ~10 for sale in Canada right now on average for about $115-120K... which is 25-30K over sticker. I was lucky and got mine for $5K over thanks to some outstanding members on this very forum.

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Funny, the wealthiest guys I know are absolutely the cheapest guys I know when making deals. I've seen it many, many times. I have another hobby where some rich guys buy/sell, and every single one of them would cut your throat for $100 to the point of riduculousness. We've (the guys without big money, lol) talk about how they all do it. I'd bet that they'd be looking for a deal instead of just paying the ADM. But that's a totally different subject. :thumbsup:

If someone is looking to buy at $20K over and are just too buys to shop around, PM me and I'll save you $5K and you can buy mine for $15K over. :)
I know one or two like that too... but they are older gentlemen, who grew up in an age where they saved every penny and didn't waste a dime. I know one guy now who must be in his late 70's, and if you saw him you'd think he was nearly broke based on how he dresses :lol:

I think it is fair to say however that those who are wealthy and who are into and own a sports car or multiple sports cars, they aren't the same folks that are penny pinching business like fellas.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Actually, you are 100% correct, I had to go back and look.. my apologies!

You want to know why I thought that? I just look at Avatar's and it was Demonic who has a very similar Avatar to yours that responded the first time (Black R facing forward). :lol:
I really need to get out and take some better pictures honestly. I've been meaning to shoot some pictures every time but I end up forgetting the camera or not bothering to stop which would mean I'd have to stop driving :lol:

I had to go back myself when you posted to make sure I wasn't being completely retarded and post twice with the same comments :D

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Once they hint at that, then it is completely unreasonable for them not to at least open the door and let them peek in it. I think the dealer is wrong all the way around in this situation.
Sorry but agree to disagree. What if someone sat in your car that you ordered to spec and say their jean rivet ripped the seat when you went to pick it up. Or you get your dash trim is scratched because someone's ring/bracelet nicked it up? How happy would YOU be? Probably not at all whether it could be fixed or not.

Just sitting in it can CERTAINLY cause damage. And it's not like the dealership is stocking GT350 parts in bulk to swap it out real quick for you like a normal Eco/GT on the lot. The dealer had no right to let anyone into the car, and we have no idea if that was buyer's instruction (it would be mine!!)

If the deal fell through and it was just a on the lot car then it is a different story but that time had not come here yet.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Sorry but agree to disagree. What if someone sat in your car that you ordered to spec and say their jean rivet ripped the seat when you went to pick it up. Or you get your dash trim is scratched because someone's ring/bracelet nicked it up? How happy would YOU be? Probably not at all whether it could be fixed or not.

Just sitting in it can CERTAINLY cause damage. And it's not like the dealership is stocking GT350 parts in bulk to swap it out real quick for you like a normal Eco/GT on the lot. The dealer had no right to let anyone into the car, and we have no idea if that was buyer's instruction (it would be mine!!)

If the deal fell through and it was just a on the lot car then it is a different story but that time had not come here yet.
Where did I ever say to let him sit in it? OP was willing to just have them open the door and look inside IIRC.

This is 100% on the dealer, it is either sold or it isn't. If it is there is no discussion whether to look into it or not period.

If I special ordered one, unless some unforeseen circumstance didn't allow it, I would be there watching come off the transport and taking it home that day to avoid any possibility of things going sideways if I could help it.

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I guess I would have to ask the dealer to clarify - Is it spoken for, or is it not. I mean, it's not on the main lot = red flag number 1... He said it was spoken for = red flag number 2.... then going on to mention that it might end up for sale doesn't exactly resolve issue 1 and 2. I think the OP might have mistaken an over-zealous salespersons vagueness as availability. I'll let me enthusiast brain take over here and decide that the new owner probably doesn't want anyone messing with it.

So it went like this:

Hi, I saw online that you have a GT350R.

Yes, it's actually sold.

Can I see it anyway?

Sure, let's drive you into the parking structure where we keep sold cars to look at a sold car...that you aren't going to buy...because it's sold.

Nice car, can I see inside?

No.
Sponsored