roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
When you truly grasp the "less is more" concept, you'll understand that what the 'R' is, isn't about the "R" tag at all. The snobs, as you put it, would be those who buy one just to be seen in or to boast over drinks at the club about owning.

Norm
Well, there does seem to be that happening for sure on this site. But aside from that, if that car was made with the options mentioned, my point was it would not have "snob appeal" but would handle very close to the same with the 8k motor at less cost. So that maybe the only difference is the snob appeal. Fair enough?
Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Somehow the conversation shifted from NĂĽrburgring (Nordschleife) times to all track times. Point is that the Nordschleife track, despite it's popularity, is not a good gauge for measuring car capabilities, especially when the cars are going to be used on US streets and tracks. There are much better units of measure.

Long Way to Go.jpg
Then what are the "units"?

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Trust me. I know. But as long as people here keep responding to me with ignorant posts, I'm going to keep doing the same. Do you not read the posts before my responses? For instance the fella saying what would happen if the 6.2 didn't have that blower. Well, duh the naturally aspirated LT1. We've already touched on all the relative points. Now it's just bench racing, fanboy hate, and bickering, but I'll play the game as long as you all care to do so
This post will probably offend you, but I'm not trying to with it. I'm just trying to get out the other side of exactly what most of us are trying to say.

I get what you are saying, I really do, but you do have to realize this is a car forum for the GT350 so what did you expect? When people came on my other M3/4 forum and were critical of that car they weren't well received either. It's just the nature of things and the internet in general.

You admittedly do not have any track experience and have stated part of the reason you got the ZL1 is because it had the A10 tranny and other options. To a lot of us the GT350 is the perfect blend of an old school driving experience with just enough modern tech (mag ride etc) to make it a truly unique driving experience in a sea of automatic/DCT boosted cars.

So, it is a joy to drive on backroads or canyon runs and is a beast on the track. I enjoy rowing the gears going to breakfast with my family in the car going slow or just cruising. I have never had a car that was this capable while simultaneously this much fun to drive at the same time. That is why I and a lot of other people don't care if it is the fastest thing out there because it does exactly what it set out to do. I'm not saying the ZL1 isn't or can't be this as well, but I and obviously others just don't see it that way.

I'll add on one more crappy analogy since I know you love those in regards to track times and magazine testing stats. :D I'm a so so golfer like most. I have a set of decent clubs. I'm sure I could pick up a Golf magazine and find all sorts of stats saying why I should get this club over this one etc. In the end though it obviously wouldn't turn me into a Jordan Spieth. I'd still be the same shitty golfer with the "better" clubs and should just keep the ones that feel good to me so I can learn better and practice more to become better.

FWIW, I find the GT350 is that great blend for me on the track. It is a lot of fun on the track and I'm comfortable enough with it that I can learn at the same time and get better. My previous DCT M4 was a handful on the track and was way more work than fun. It was also kind of blah to drive around town. That's why I've stayed with the Ford and the GT350 even though my 2016 tech pack experience sucked from a lot of different angles, but I still don't think there is anything else like the GT350 out today. So I'm giving them another chance. If I was to get a Camaro I'd probably go with a SS 1LE manual as that seems to be the closest fit/idea to the GT350 in todays current market.

Last, try this, take your car to a private stretch of road or the drag strip. Get a reliable 0-60 timer if you don't already have the performance data recorder in your car, which by the way is the only option I am jealous of. See if you can match the magazine times just doing 0-60 runs. You may be surprised as to what you find and then think about even coming close to the magazine/video lap times. Which, is why a lot of us say they are meaningless as is the marginal "performance win" you keep touting, which is true, but truly meaningless IMO.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Well, there does seem to be that happening for sure on this site. But aside from that, if that car was made with the options mentioned, my point was it would not have "snob appeal" but would handle very close to the same with the 8k motor at less cost. So that maybe the only difference is the snob appeal. Fair enough?
There is definitely some of that, but the GT350 does have the completely different front end from the A-pillar forward so that would be hard to mod. I personally liked a lot of the regular GTs I test drove, but found them a bit too squishy in the suspension area and coming from an M4 a bit down on overall punch in the motor department. Before the GT350 came out to dealers, I seriously thought about dumping my M4 for a manual PP GT I also look at ILE SS Camaros

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Then what are the "units"?
Nordschleife time is a unit of measure.

So, more useful results would be reached under conditions that more closely replicate American roads and tracks. Rather than the Nordschleife, times achieved on the NĂĽrburgring Grand-Prix track or any similar track in the States are better measurements for track conditions. Comparisons done on American backroads are also useful.

3 Reasons.

First, a variation of 2-3 seconds on that 13 mile track is not a great discriminator. I've by no means mastered it, so I won't use myself as an example. But even drivers who know that track like their living rooms are challenged to achieve the same time on consecutive runs under the same conditions. Second, the article is right when it compares Nordshcleife to German roads, which don't compare to American roads or even other European roads when it comes to quality and allowed speed. Third, even though it is somewhat similar to German roads, there are no other tracks that replicate the Nordschleife. I am not saying that it is better than all other tracks, just different.

Again, I am not arguing GT350 vs. ZL1 times. I am simply saying that as a group of car enthusiasts, we have enough collective experience and knowledge to see "Ring times" for what they are. They are not completely useless, but they are overrated for what we are measuring, particularly with American cars to be driven under American conditions. And a few seconds tells us cars are of near equal capability under Ring/German conditions, but not that one is actually better than the other. Marketers and reviewers owe consumers more...

Last edited:

Sponsored

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Geezus dude, we all accept it is faster. Most of us don't really give a shit for the reasons you can't accept either.

Also, most of us here have the means to add it to the stable or trade in our GT350s tomorrow for one. A few will, but again most of us won't for the reasons that have beaten to death here.
Minn, I couldn't agree more.
@ 'mdmoore23'.... you keep shit stirring on this forum to do exactly what? Are you expecting individuals to bow down to you and repeatedly tell you that you have the 'fastest' ZL1? Does it somehow feed your sense of self-esteem or self-importance?

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
This post will probably offend you, but I'm not trying to with it. I'm just trying to get out the other side of exactly what most of us are trying to say.

I get what you are saying, I really do, but you do have to realize this is a car forum for the GT350 so what did you expect? When people came on my other M3/4 forum and were critical of that car they weren't well received either. It's just the nature of things and the internet in general.

You admittedly do not have any track experience and have stated part of the reason you got the ZL1 is because it had the A10 tranny and other options. To a lot of us the GT350 is the perfect blend of an old school driving experience with just enough modern tech (mag ride etc) to make it a truly unique driving experience in a sea of automatic/DCT boosted cars.

So, it is a joy to drive on backroads or canyon runs and is a beast on the track. I enjoy rowing the gears going to breakfast with my family in the car going slow or just cruising. I have never had a car that was this capable while simultaneously this much fun to drive at the same time. That is why I and a lot of other people don't care if it is the fastest thing out there because it does exactly what it set out to do. I'm not saying the ZL1 isn't or can't be this as well, but I and obviously others just don't see it that way.

I'll add on one more crappy analogy since I know you love those in regards to track times and magazine testing stats. :D I'm a so so golfer like most. I have a set of decent clubs. I'm sure I could pick up a Golf magazine and find all sorts of stats saying why I should get this club over this one etc. In the end though it obviously wouldn't turn me into a Jordan Spieth. I'd still be the same shitty golfer with the "better" clubs and should just keep the ones that feel good to me so I can learn better and practice more to become better.

FWIW, I find the GT350 is that great blend for me on the track. It is a lot of fun on the track and I'm comfortable enough with it that I can learn at the same time and get better. My previous DCT M4 was a handful on the track and was way more work than fun. It was also kind of blah to drive around town. That's why I've stayed with the Ford and the GT350 even though my 2016 tech pack experience sucked from a lot of different angles, but I still don't think there is anything else like the GT350 out today. So I'm giving them another chance. If I was to get a Camaro I'd probably go with a SS 1LE manual as that seems to be the closest fit/idea to the GT350 in todays current market.

Last, try this, take your car to a private stretch of road or the drag strip. Get a reliable 0-60 timer if you don't already have the performance data recorder in your car, which by the way is the only option I am jealous of. See if you can match the magazine times just doing 0-60 runs. You may be surprised as to what you find and then think about even coming close to the magazine/video lap times. Which, is why a lot of us say they are meaningless as is the marginal "performance win" you keep touting, which is true, but truly meaningless IMO.
Again, I don't disagree with you logical guys on your opinion of the GT350 and why so many love it. I've had highly regarded naturally aspirated cars too, so I get the different feeling of engagement. One being the C6Z06. I actually happen to be a guy that can appreciate what both types of cars offer. I actually don't think I have to take my ZL1 to a road course to have the opinion of it that I do. Your opinion is perfectly logical. You have to admit that many if the people responding in this thread had no intent of real debate, just GM or Camaro bashing. If one hasn't been in the new ZL1, they really have no idea of the leap forward it is. It's like saying the GT350 is only a glorified Mustang GT. They're both so much more than the lesser models in their respective lineups. And funny you mention the 0-60. I think GM advertises 3.5 seconds. I got 3.7 on my second try just playing around and launching at a very low 1500 rpm. The car really is a joy to launch. The electronic diff and the tires just don't let go. I'm positive I can best the advertised time. That's the thing I do appreciate about this car. It truly is what they said it would be. A triple threat. It really is at home on the drag strip, the road course, or the street. That's the appeal to me, just like the minimalist factor appeals to R owners. I've agreed with many of your points long ago. I'm mainly just trash talking at this point.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
With all due respect, you can't be serious. GM ALREADY HAS A 6.2L WITH THE BLOWER UNSTRAPPED! Its called the LT1. So when you "unstrap" the blower, You get the SS 1LE, which for purposes of this discussion, has the same lap time as the GT350R at Willow Springs. Or do you want to talk Corvette Grand Sport, which beats it by 2 seconds with that blower "unstrapped"? If you had a 1LE I would think you'd know this information. Besides, we're talking current generation cars here. The Z/28 is a last generation car on last generation's architecture.
With all due respect as well though, you cannot have the lap times both ways. You originally stood by the fact that the ZL1's times were worse than previously tested, hence proving that track conditions were nowhere near optimal on that day. You can't turn around then though and say the SS 1LE tied the R, as track conditions do not favor only certain types of cars, but affect all cars in the same manner, and thus if the ZL1 was significantly slower on that day, logic dictates the R has the capability to do substantially better as well.

Considering the SS 1LE's time beat the 5th gen Z28, I believe it is also fair to say that conditions were very good on the day it was tested. I do not believe that it is significantly faster than the Z28, and seeing as it beat it, I think the SS 1LE's time is pretty indicative of its true performance.

I don't really get the unstrapped V8 thing either. They clearly have the capability of making good power with NA engines, but comparing the 5th gen Z28 and R is the best comparison possible. In 2015, they were both produced at the same time, and came out one year after the other (2014 vs 2015). Since when is generations so important? Comparing the 2017 ZL1 versus a 2014 GT500 would be akin to comparing the Z28 to the Boss 302, both of which are over 3 years apart in release. I think the new GT500 or whatever they will call it needs to be a 2018 release to be relevant in comparisons to the ZL1. Otherwise, if it comes out in 2019 or after, of course there will be outcry regarding the "of course it should win, it came out years later".

And the Grand Sport is in another league. The benefits of having a dedicated sports car chassis, light weight, low center of gravity and a good suspension pays massive dividends to its lap times considering its "modest" power output.

When discussing track times it's funny because the only people who don't care or regard those times are the people who can't use it to their advantage in an argument. And the only people who do regard them are the ones who can use them. But if Nurburgring times don't matter, then no track time matter. Even when people go to the track and race their "stock" cars. I mean, you tell the tech inspector your car is "stock" and they send you on your way without checking. Then you race your "stock" car, get a slip, and then post it and say "look what my car did". Meanwhile we're all on the honesty system and we all take what others say at face value. So if you can find fault with any track or any track time then all of them are suspect and shouldn't be respected.
Nobody is saying any of that? :shrug:

Motortrend's lap times, particularly the Best Driver's Car competitions, are some of if not the most "scientific" car tests available to us. A few other publications do similar type tests, primarily like R&T's Performance Car of the Year (PTCOY) and EVO's PTCOY in Britain, but the BDC events are the only ones with a driver that is as highly qualified as Randy is.

Unlike the 'Ring times, where there are no rules, there are no sanctioning bodies, there are no governing agencies, nothing at all. 'Ring times are largely entertaining, and I don't think any of the OEM's times are going to massively different than what could be achieved by an actual production car, but the point still stands that there are far too many variables for times on that particular track to hold any scientific merit. Hell, CarandDriver's lightning lap holds more water than 'Ring times, and the different groups of cars they test are all driven by different drivers, none of whom are professionals! But at least they are all tested in the exact same manner, by the same equipment, on the same track and on the same day. For me personally the different drivers thing makes me take the entire thing with a bucket of salt, but it is still more relevant than 'Ring times.

And a few pages back you very clearly outlined a number of ways you subjectively enjoy your car, as well as Mdmoore and Catdog, all of which I enjoyed reading. I tried asking you for some of this feedback earlier but was met with hostile remarks about justifications and finding faults in your purchase (neither of which were true by the way). Is there any reason you could not have simply explained any of that before rather than go off on the only individual on this forum who was defending your posts??

And I'm not sure where you've heard about me before... I have more posts on here than I have on my past 2 forums combined... one of which was a mercedescla.org and the other being clubwrx.net. Actually, I was on Nasioc for a while but that site is a total shit show when it comes to fanboys lol I did visit the camaro forum there a few weeks back, and got into a little argument with one individual, but realized my mistakes, apologized and we are on amicable terms and I have respect for this individual. Where you may have "heard about me" as if I were some forum celebrity (:lol:) is a mystery :shrug:

But it would have been cool had you just had a conversation with me previously rather than attacking my questions, only to later answer them of your own volition... :paddle:

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
My point is the peeps on here say the GT350 is more "special" because of the 8K rpm motor. So Ford offers now a substantial increase in hp (570+) 8k rpm motor that anyone can get in a GT with it having Magneride and the same sticky tires and handling, which could be very close to the same visceral feeling of the GT350 at a much lower cost. Of course it would not have the same "R" snob appeal.
Genuinely curious, but what "R Snobs" are you referring too? Can you point out any single individual? I have not seen a single member on here bragging about having an R, or talking down to other members as if they were better than them.

Also, do you not understand the basics of what a crate engine is? You know it doesn't have to pass ANY of the reliability standards that a production engine does, right? You know it doesn't have to pass EMISSIONS (caps because it is the BIG one) because it isn't a production engine and is meant for "off-road use" right?

Let me set you very straight and very clear on this. If the Voodoo did not have to meet emissions targets, and did not have to meet their internal reliability standards for a production car, it could EASILY surpass the 575hp of the 5.2 Aluminator. Easily. We see already what a mild tune and headers can do... in fact, a tune and headers increases the crank horsepower beyond that of the 5.2 Aluminator. Whether it is a compromised design in terms of longevity or super high rpm capability (think 8500-9000 like most FPC V8's), it is a simple matter of physics.

A FPC will make more power (HP) than a CPC in the same engine every single time. It breathes better, and as an engine is simply a large air pump, more air = more power.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)

Hear ye, hear ye! Couldn't agree more man! :cheers:

I give the ZL1 major props for being as capable as it is while being as tech savvy as it is at the same time, and for being a all around triathlon. But, like you, I understand that my driving capabilities are well beneath what these vehicles are capable of. Every time I drive my car it is an experience, and is just as fun driving slow as you mentioned or hooning about on a back road.

You're also on point about the 0-60 runs for example. Hilariously enough, the best I've managed without about 3-4 attempts using the built in timer, was a 5.1 second 0-60 LOL couldn't launch worth a shit (first time RWD all the same) but it goes to show just how far off I am of the 3.9s times that CarandDriver and MT managed to get, and ultimately, how useless these metrics are on the street in the real world. I mean hell, it sure as shit didn't make the car FEEL slow, yes the launch was bad, but it still pulled like a bat out of hell once it hooked up.

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Again, I don't disagree with you logical guys on your opinion of the GT350 and why so many love it. I've had highly regarded naturally aspirated cars too, so I get the different feeling of engagement. One being the C6Z06. I actually happen to be a guy that can appreciate what both types of cars offer. I actually don't think I have to take my ZL1 to a road course to have the opinion of it that I do. Your opinion is perfectly logical. You have to admitd that many if the people responding in this thread had no intent of real debate, just GM or Camaro bashing. If one hasn't been in the new ZL1, they really have no idea of the leap forward it is. It's like saying the GT350 is only a glorified Mustang GT. They're both so much more than the lesser models in their respective lineups. And funny you mention the 0-60. I think GM advertises 3.5 seconds. I got 3.7 on my second try just playing around and launching at a very low 1500 rpm. The car really is a joy to launch. The electronic diff and the tires just don't let go. I'm positive I can best the advertised time. That's the thing I do appreciate about this car. It truly is what they said it would be. A triple threat. It really is at home on the drag strip, the road course, or the street. That's the appeal to me, just like the minimalist factor appeals to R owners. I've agreed with many of your points long ago. I'm mainly just trash talking at this point.
Nice on the 0-60, I always found that a tough number to match the advertised ones. I think I've only done it on a couple of my cars.

I do admit that a lot don't want to debate including you ZL1 guys at times. :D

Like I've admitted, the ZL1 is a monster and I would like to drive one someday. I didn't bother at the dealership because I don't believe in wasting sales people's or dealerships time (even if most think they are completely evil ;)) if I know I'm not going to buy something.

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
Minn, I couldn't agree more.
@ 'mdmoore23'.... you keep shit stirring on this forum to do exactly what? Are you expecting individuals to bow down to you and repeatedly tell you that you have the 'fastest' ZL1? Does it somehow feed your sense of self-esteem or self-importance?
Not you again. Don't you have more theories to contemplate, Mr. Unstrapped Blower? Don't take this stuff so serious. Debating rival cars has been going on for decades. My debates here have been mostly civil, except for when people like you show up late to the party and feel the need to respond to posts that you originally had nothing to do with. I made my points long ago in this thread. Just think back to your original dig at me. What was the point of it? You're the pot stirrer here.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Hear ye, hear ye! Couldn't agree more man! :cheers:

I give the ZL1 major props for being as capable as it is while being as tech savvy as it is at the same time, and for being a all around triathlon. But, like you, I understand that my driving capabilities are well beneath what these vehicles are capable of. Every time I drive my car it is an experience, and is just as fun driving slow as you mentioned or hooning about on a back road.

You're also on point about the 0-60 runs for example. Hilariously enough, the best I've managed without about 3-4 attempts using the built in timer, was a 5.1 second 0-60 LOL couldn't launch worth a shit (first time RWD all the same) but it goes to show just how far off I am of the 3.9s times that CarandDriver and MT managed to get, and ultimately, how useless these metrics are on the street in the real world. I mean hell, it sure as shit didn't make the car FEEL slow, yes the launch was bad, but it still pulled like a bat out of hell once it hooked up.
I haven't even tried with the GT350 because I know I'll eff the launch up and I'm afraid what the number will be. :lol: The best I could do with my M4 was 4.0 and that was a DCT with launch control and better than stock tires.

One of the only cars I could hit it with was my 335 that had xDrive and the M performance exhaust and tune. Hold the brake, rev it 3k and let it go. That thing would grip and go, it was fun to launch. Unfortunately the fun ended there as it heat soaked after one launch so you couldn't do it again for quite awhile. :lol:

I found launch control and 0-60 times to be novelties for the most part, after doing it a couple of times I got bored with it and basically never used it again unless a friend wanted to see how it worked.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Again, I don't disagree with you logical guys on your opinion of the GT350 and why so many love it. I've had highly regarded naturally aspirated cars too, so I get the different feeling of engagement. One being the C6Z06. I actually happen to be a guy that can appreciate what both types of cars offer. I actually don't think I have to take my ZL1 to a road course to have the opinion of it that I do. Your opinion is perfectly logical. You have to admit that many if the people responding in this thread had no intent of real debate, just GM or Camaro bashing. If one hasn't been in the new ZL1, they really have no idea of the leap forward it is. It's like saying the GT350 is only a glorified Mustang GT. They're both so much more than the lesser models in their respective lineups. And funny you mention the 0-60. I think GM advertises 3.5 seconds. I got 3.7 on my second try just playing around and launching at a very low 1500 rpm. The car really is a joy to launch. The electronic diff and the tires just don't let go. I'm positive I can best the advertised time. That's the thing I do appreciate about this car. It truly is what they said it would be. A triple threat. It really is at home on the drag strip, the road course, or the street. That's the appeal to me, just like the minimalist factor appeals to R owners. I've agreed with many of your points long ago. I'm mainly just trash talking at this point.
Well I'll be the first to admit that years ago, I had heavy bias towards all American cars (courtesy of being a "youngin" and watching too much Jeremy Clarkson :lol:) that wasn't really unfounded. Today these cars are world class, and after I helped my father spec out a Z51 Stingray, seeing the quantum leap that car made in terms of quality and aesthetics and the features offered, I was VERY impressed! If the Camaro made anywhere near the same leap, I would say it is a great success for its buyers.

That is the beauty of low rpm torque + an auto, makes it so easy for the driver to learn how to best use its power and get the most out of it. At our local strip, the guys with early 2000's Camaro's and Trans Ams are always beating cars far more powerful with just some sticky tires and an auto LOL makes a huge difference in consistent a car can be at the strip.

Unfortunately too many people look at the Camaro and Mustang the same way. Whether they are the top dog or not, they don't consider them serious sports cars because they don't have the pedigree of being born a dedicated sports car like the Vette or 911 for example. I don't worry too much about it. I'm sure guys with GT3's somewhat feel the same when they pay the same amount for their cars as someone else does for an R8 or a Huracan or 570S for example, that they "don't have a supercar" even though it competes with them and is often a better driver's car.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
. . . But aside from that, if that car was made with the options mentioned, my point was it would not have "snob appeal" but would handle very close to the same with the 8k motor at less cost. So that maybe the only difference is the snob appeal. Fair enough?
It's probably as close as we'll ever get on this. What you're calling snob appeal I'd perhaps brand as 'cachet', as used in the 'prestige' sense.

Hopefully, you aren't trying to paint all 'R' buyers and potential 'R' buyers with a "snob" brush. I know for certain if I was to buy an 'R' tomorrow - something I certainly could arrange for if I simply said to Hell with financial responsibility - snob appeal and prestige-seeking wouldn't even be a minute part of such a decision.

Norm
Sponsored