Sponsored

Anyone put braided/stainless steel brake hoses on their S550?

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I'm having a lot of trouble finding any videos or write-ups showing a swap to stainless/braided steel brakes hoses on an S550.

I'm particularly interested in anyone using the Steeda hoses, but would appreciate vids/write-ups of any aftermarket brake hoses on an S550.

It's not the mechanics of the swap that I'm interested in, but the fitment of the hoses, which direction to loop the slack in the hose, etc.

I am probably attempting this installation tomorrow and would just like to see how others did it prior to doing it myself. Sort of like reading the instructions (which Steeda doesn't provide...ATM anyway) before trying to put something together. I know I can call them if I have any issues; no worries there. I don't want to have any issues to begin with. Hence, this thread. ;)

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Scott Wilson

s550 is life
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I use goodridge lines and they work great however im not gonna make an install video or write up lol soorry

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
I did one sorta, I upgraded to the GT non PP brakes with good brake fluid and Steeda SS brake lines. Is a great improvement overall....for sure you will be happy with it got good reviews from my instructor on the track this weekend too.
picture.jpg

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I have. I used Goodridge but wish I got Steeda's because the rear brake caliper connection point is shaped like stock, which is a trapezoid shape intended to prevent the connection from rotating and coming loose. The Goodridge lines I have have just a regular banjo circle connection that worries me, but it hasn't budged.

It's not hard to install these, I just recommend putting a vacuum on the system so fluid doesn't pour out (or at least leaving the reservoir cap closed and working quickly). Either way you're going to need to bleed the brakes, but you want to avoid having to bleed the master cylinder (because you ran that dry on accident).

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thanks guys. I think the more you intend to leave work early to work on the car, the worse and longer day you have at work. :frusty: It's looking like this weekend is when this'll get done.

I bought a Motive power bleeder and have watched vids on how to use it in it's intended pressurizing capacity. But how do I put a vacuum on the system? I'm not worried about bleeding the brakes; done that before but just the old fashioned way. I AM worried about running the reservoir dry...that's a no-no. I was intending on leave the reservoir cap closed to at least have a partial vacuum on the system...but how to increase it?

Sponsored

gtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
I have. I used Goodridge but wish I got Steeda's because the rear brake caliper connection point is shaped like stock, which is a trapezoid shape intended to prevent the connection from rotating and coming loose. The Goodridge lines I have have just a regular banjo circle connection that worries me, but it hasn't budged.
I have Goodridge lines as well and would not recommend them. The rear caliper connection shouldn't be an issue, but the front line where it connects to the bracket in the wheel well is a sh*t design. I would highly recommend securing this with a heavy duty zip-tie.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I have Goodridge lines as well and would not recommend them. The rear caliper connection shouldn't be an issue, but the front line where it connects to the bracket in the wheel well is a sh*t design. I would highly recommend securing this with a heavy duty zip-tie.
That is true. I put JB weld around the "assembly" they make you do with that little f'ing circlip thing and it's solid. Haha.

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thanks guys. I am going with Steeda lines, but they have some issues to fix first. See my thread on that in this sub-forum. I sent TJ all my pictures and description of the problem (it's pretty obvious) last night, and am waiting to hear back from them today on how to proceed.

Bottom line is that the banjo bolt fitting on the left front (driver side) hose is larger than the one the right front (passenger) and does not fit on a 6-piston Brembo caliper w/o having to grind the fitting down. Pics in my other thread.

I really want to get the new rotors/calipers/pads on this weekend...would be nice to get the hoses on there too. I can only work on the car on the weekends...would suck to lose another week.

WatchSquid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
93 Reef Blue Mustang convertible
Non-Brembo four-piston brakes on mine, and the Steeda braided steel lines went on without a hitch. Sat exactly as the stock ones did and really improved the feel of the pedal.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I know they've probably sold a few hundred of these brake line kits if not more. I'm thinking they just got a bad batch from their supplier.

If you look at these pics, it's pretty obvious that one fitting is larger than the other. If not visually obvious, the micrometer readings prove it out.

I'm waiting for Steeda to get back to me to say how we're going to handle this. I'm pretty bummed-out b/c I've been waiting for weeks to do this complete brake swap (rotors/calipers/pads/hoses) and finally have a weekend free, but no hoses.

I am this close to just grinding down the bad fitting, like the guy who reviewed the product on the Steeda product page did. That's my practical side. My get-what-you-paid for side says not to do it. Plus, if I alter them in any way I can't return them.

First-world problems, to be sure, but I'm just sharing the pain with my Mustang Brothers!
size diff1 (Large).jpg
size diff2 (Large).jpg
smaller banjo measurement (Large).jpg
larger banjo measurement (Large).jpg

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Total bummer man. I know how that is though, think all of us have at one point or another. Look forward to seeing the results though!

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I really want to get my brakes swapped this weekend. I am now weighing skipping the braided lines completely vs. grinding the fitting down.

If I don't install the lines along with the brake swap, I will most probably never go back and do it and just return the lines. I'm sure Steeda is going to resolve the issue but it won't be this weekend, no probably even the following week. I can't wait...need to move forward with upgrades.

Thoughts?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I guess I'm more patient. I'm confident Steeda will take care of it and it's not like your car isn't functional right now. If it were down and you couldn't drive it, I'd be all over it and do it immediately. Otherwise, there's always another weekend.

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Well, an entire day of heavy yardwork has a way of tempering...killing...your enthusiasm to work on the car. And this is probably a good thing.

Everything you said makes sense, jbailer. Steeda may ask me to send the whole set back so they can get credit from their outsourced manufacturer. And if I could get a set with the proper fitting, it would always eat at me to know I've got a ground-down fitting on there. It would probably operate properly forever, but I would know...you know?

I may start lowering the car tomorrow instead. I don't need to drive it Monday, so there's no rush and I can take it apart and work on it as I can.
Sponsored