Sponsored

Clutch spring removal? Am I the only one that it's not easy for?

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
So a few weeks ago I tried installing the steeda clutch spring and spent 45 minutes before giving up and taking it to a shop. Took them 20-25 minutes to get it out. Now I'm wanting to go back to the stock clutch spring and I can't even take the steeda one out.

I notice on most videos that people are using needle nose vise grips to take out the stock one, but even those seem to be too big to fit between in the spring for the Steeda one, so I can't find a way to grip them and pull it out. I can't find any that are more skinnier than that at any nearby auto part stores, unless I'm just completely doing it wrong.

Any tips? This is pretty frustrating as I know everyone says it takes them 10 secs.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
No, I agree - it was an extremely frustrating pain in the butt for me even with needle nose vise grips I bought just to do that job. I finally got it done, but also wonder how others said it was so easy.

Reactions: 113

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
Did it once it was tough but not super tough for me to do on a buddies car, but i guess everyone is different.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
No, I agree - it was an extremely frustrating pain in the butt for me even with needle nose vise grips I bought just to do that job. I finally got it done, but also wonder how others said it was so easy.
How did you get it out? Did you squeeze the spring and then pull out directly towards you? I've tried almost every angle and cannot get this thing out for the life of me.

Did it once it was tough but not super tough for me to do on a buddies car, but i guess everyone is different.
Yeah it's a pain in the ass. I've been twisted up on the ground/car for the last hour trying to get that shit out and it's even more frustrating that others take it out in just seconds according to videos, etc.

You had someone - or you used your other hand - to depress the clutch?
I'm the only person, so I used one hand to depress the clutch and the other to try gripping and pulling the spring.

Sponsored

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
How did you get it out? Did you squeeze the spring and then pull out directly towards you? I've tried almost every angle and cannot get this thing out for the life of me.
One of my problems was that after clamping the vise grip down it would try to pop off, twisting on the spring and releasing. But even after getting it to hold it at complete squeeze the spring would not come out, even holding the clutch down.

I did notice that the vice grip compressed only one side of the spring - when i looked I noticed that the far side away from the clamped portion was still spread apart and preventing removal. My solution was to clamp the spring together completely with the vice grip, then zip tie the spring in place together by the vice grip clamp, then release the vice grip, rotate the spring around to the other side, then repeat to zip tie the spring together on both sides. Once the spring was compressed on both sides, I was able to get the spring out.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Finally figured it out using another method. Those videos just show people gripping the spring and pulling out. I just simply pushed the bottom part of the clutch spring over to the right and the thing came out easily. Didn't even need pliers for it. Not sure why this isn't shown anywhere lol

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
Finally figured it out using another method. Those videos just show people gripping the spring and pulling out. I just simply pushed the bottom part of the clutch spring over to the right and the thing came out easily. Didn't even need pliers for it. Not sure why this isn't shown anywhere lol

Tell me how u like it [MENTION=17459]altjx[/MENTION] i may just do it on my car after ur review.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Tell me how u like it [MENTION=17459]altjx[/MENTION] i may just do it on my car after ur review.
Thanks. I had the steeda clutch spring at first and found it to be a little stuff over some time. Now I just realized after talking to a friend that GT350s have an additional spring that GTs don't have, and Steeda's instructions don't even tell you to remove the second spring. This could very well be why mine felt more stiff.

I'm back to the stock spring now but may go back to Steeda's in a few minutes. Having to look around on forums for install instructions on GT350 since their website doesn't specify what to do with this second spring.

Sponsored
OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
So guys I just figured out the "5 second method" that no one ever mentions anywhere. I just literally removed the stock clutch spring with my hands and no tools at all.

The bottom of the clutch spring slides straight to the right. Just pushed it to the right until it came off, and the whole thing just falls off -- didn't pop off or anything.

So now I'm wondering why the GT350s have this extra small clutch spring (there's 2 springs altogether). I see people saying replace BOTH springs with the Steeda spring, but I don't see that clarification anywhere on Steeda's site. I've been driving around for an entire month with the Steeda clutch spring + the factory small GT350 spring underneath.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So a few weeks ago I tried installing the steeda clutch spring and spent 45 minutes before giving up and taking it to a shop. Took them 20-25 minutes to get it out. Now I'm wanting to go back to the stock clutch spring and I can't even take the steeda one out.

I notice on most videos that people are using needle nose vise grips to take out the stock one, but even those seem to be too big to fit between in the spring for the Steeda one, so I can't find a way to grip them and pull it out. I can't find any that are more skinnier than that at any nearby auto part stores, unless I'm just completely doing it wrong.

Any tips? This is pretty frustrating as I know everyone says it takes them 10 secs.
I was having trouble with the vise grips until I got frustrated and just tried to pull out the spring with my hand. It came out with no problem.

Just use your hand for both install and removal. You don't need a vise grip or anything like that.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
My needle nose grips slipped off and I broke the mount. I haven't missed having a spring at all..lol

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
My needle nose grips slipped off and I broke the mount. I haven't missed having a spring at all..lol
Lol yeah before I figured out that I could just slide everything off, my needle nose grips kept sliding off too. I spent a good while trying to get this to work at first.
Sponsored