I like to disassemble things.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I drive my car exclusively on sport mode to the point my outer exhaust pipes look brand new. So yes I feel like that in sport mode.

I ll again refer to the M3 or M5, if you guys havent driven those cars you wont know what I m talking about.

For example, when I m blipping the throttle at low revs, it takes a good second and a lot of pedal travel for the revs to climb. I hate that. Its nothing to do with vodoo, i m sure its how ford tuned the drive by wire.

Maybe this is all perception based. Compared to a honda pilot or ford f150, yes its jumpy. But compared to say an E90 M3 with naturally aspirated v8 that revved to 8300 rpm, there is worlds of difference. The throttle on those cars are so sensitive your foot better not rest on pedal because car will be jumping all over the place every time you drive over a rough path of road.
I wouldn't want that for a car to push on the track and get the most out of, and certainly not in a road car.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
I drive my car exclusively on sport mode to the point my outer exhaust pipes look brand new. So yes I feel like that in sport mode.

I ll again refer to the M3 or M5, if you guys havent driven those cars you wont know what I m talking about.

For example, when I m blipping the throttle at low revs, it takes a good second and a lot of pedal travel for the revs to climb. I hate that. Its nothing to do with vodoo, i m sure its how ford tuned the drive by wire.

Maybe this is all perception based. Compared to a honda pilot or ford f150, yes its jumpy. But compared to say an E90 M3 with naturally aspirated v8 that revved to 8300 rpm, there is worlds of difference. The throttle on those cars are so sensitive your foot better not rest on pedal because car will be jumping all over the place every time you drive over a rough path of road.
Get a tune and you will notice a significant improvement in throttle response. I know what you mean, so don't mind the jabs. The throttle in sport mode sucks in my opinion....it feels neurotic. The throttle in track mode is by far the best. The response is pretty good and the throttle is linear. I guess you have to experience great throttle feel to know what you're missing?

Sponsored

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I wouldn't want that for a car to push on the track and get the most out of, and certainly not in a road car.
EXACTLY.

But to each their own. He's more than welcome to program his pedal to be at 100% in the first 1/2" of pedal travel. It serves no benefit for being able to make the car perform better or have more control over the car, but if that's what he wants then go for it.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Be honest now . . . . This is really MCarsFan using a different handle, isn't it.
That's funny, before I got to the end of the post, I was thinking the same exact thing. Same kind of questions asked the same way. Plausible. Maybe one of the mods can do an IP comparison.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Funny if the throttle was any more sensitive at low speeds this car wouldn't be driveable

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
That's the problem. The response is neither immediate nor linear with driver input. Those who have had previous cars with great throttle response will acknowledge this flaw. Just drive in track mode for a while and you feel the difference. And although better, track mode ain't great. Those with tunes will undoubtedly adknowledge the significant improvement in throttle response/feel with the tune.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
That's the problem. The response is neither immediate nor linear with driver input. Those who have had previous cars with great throttle response will acknowledge this flaw. Just drive in track mode for a while and you feel the difference. And although better, track mode ain't great. Those with tunes will undoubtedly adknowledge the significant improvement in throttle response/feel with the tune.
Correct and i agree.

Another point I want to make is how much time it takes to blip the throttle when car is below 1800 rpm. And even if I floor the pedal to the point the pedal touches the floor, it takes a good second or more for the car to respond. Thats something I hated since day one. Every other sports car I owned was better in this aspect.

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Correct and i agree.

Another point I want to make is how much time it takes to blip the throttle when car is below 1800 rpm. And even if I floor the pedal to the point the pedal touches the floor, it takes a good second or more for the car to respond. Thats something I hated since day one. Every other sports car I owned was better in this aspect.
I cant think of too many situations where you would really need to blip it at 1800rpm

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I cant think of too many situations where you would really need to blip it at 1800rpm
I disagree, I have actually way too many situations where I am trailing an idiot on the left most lane blocking traffic and I have to quickly downshift from 6th to 5th or 5th to 4th. Not being sarcastic, I run into this at least 5-6 times a day and HALF of those incidents I find myself blipping twice back to back.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I also agree with this. For quite a few years I've been double clutching and blipping on every single downshift. Having to do that in the GT350 felt awkward because of the combination in pedal spacing and blip delay. When you're used to double clutching with blipping quickly, there's a delay in the GT350 blip and the second clutch-in disengages the clutch before the engine can rev the syncros, so the syncros still end up having to take up part of the slack. In the M cars a double clutched downshift feels much more fluid. Yes, you can get used to it, but it's not ideal. Sport mode does seem to help, but the delay is still there.

The best way I can describe it is that in some other sports cars it feels as if the gas pedal is connected to your tach needle by a rigid linkage. In the Shelby the linkage between pedal and tach needle feels softer. Grant it this is metaphorical as there's no actual linkage, but I'm just trying to describe it for those who haven't noticed the difference in other cars.
Sponsored