Sponsored

Stock grille honey combcut out help

Ss550h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang
maxresdefault.jpg

Hi! Im installing grille lights on my s550 and i wanted to see if there is a way to cut out the false/closed honeycombs in the stock grille to make room for light. Anyone know how to do this job clean and easy?
Sponsored

redtrack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 10AT
I used a small router, used it on the back of the grill. a 1" bit.
You need to cut the back excess plastic... It's messy, but at the end all holes will be open... I'm trying to loate my post of few months back.....

OP
OP

Ss550h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang
Re:

I used a small router, used it on the back of the grill. a 1" bit.
You need to cut the back excess plastic... It's messy, but at the end all holes will be open... I'm trying to loate my post of few months back.....
Sounds good thanks! Let me know if you find the post!

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
Look at the backside of the grille. You will see a line around each part where the honeycomb is. Used a dremel with a cut-off wheel and follow the line.

dguzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 V6 w/051A Met. Guard w/foundry wheels
Wish I could hear more about this. Maybe there is another thread?
Sounds like with a router you just cut deep enough to take the blanking off the back. With a dremel its time consuming and easy to screw it up?

Last edited:

Sponsored

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Wish I could hear more about this. Maybe there is another thread?
Sounds like with a router you just cut deep enough to take the blanking off the back. With a dremel its time consuming and easy to screw it up?
I also went the way of using a router with a 1" bit. Set it to remove just under 1/4" of material off to open up the honeycombs. This is a messy process as you have plastic shavings everywhere from the router. However, makes for a very clean look once it's all done. There will be some very small shavings attached that I used an X-Acto knife to clean up. Here's the end result before reinstallation.
Grill mod.jpg

dguzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you DRK, I think thats the way I'll do it. Looks quick and pretty easy.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
I used a soldering iron/gun. It had a flat blade adapter that resulted in a nice clean job.

Last edited:

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Does anyone know why some of the grill is closed off?
I think with open grill, engine will take longer to heat up. Particularly when its cold outside. Open grill also increases drag.

Adjustable / active grill would be better.

Sponsored

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
I can speak for the turbo; air flow efficiency. Working with the Active Grill Shutters which close at higher speeds forcing more air around the car rather than through it, drag is reduced. Since I live from stop light to stop light I opted for maximum cooling by deleting the Active Grill Shutters and opening up every factory blocked honeycomb.

Last edited:

dguzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You guys saw the pictures of the test mustangs, the ones with nose all covered...see how little an area is open for air on those. Of course we don't know what engine is in there.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I can speak for the turbo; air flow efficiency. Working with the Active Grill Shutters which close at higher speeds forcing more air around the car rather than through it, drag is reduced. Since I live from stop light to stop light I opted for maximum cooling by deleting the Active Grill Shutters and opening up every factory blocked honeycomb.
stop light to stop light, with an open grill, the engine could take a longer time to get fully hot. If you are on the gas during that time, its not good for the engine. And if you aren't on the gas, then heat shouldn't be a problem.

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Think "possible hood flutter" at highway speeds. I opened the triangle at the triangular cold air intake [Velossa inserted from the back] only. No flutter.

Not everyone experiences [or admits they have] hood flutter, but you might. Use of any of the aftermarket 'open grilles' can also result in this issue.
Sponsored