Sponsored

? on Snow injection throttle plate

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Wongering if anyone has tried installing a Snow water/methanol injection kit on their S550 with a Prochager. Specifically wondering about the throttle body adapter plate. All the reference Ive read says to install the injector 6" before the throttle body, but the Snow kit comes with a throttle body spacer that holds the injectors. To me this means the injector is now installed on the intake manifold side of the throttle body which seems to be opposite of the 6" before the throttle general rule. Curious if anyone has thoughts on this or if anyone has made it fit with procharger and what the outcome is. I have a PC Stage 2 (not sure if that matters), the silicone tube attaching to the throttle body is formed into a tight bend and I'm wondering if moving the throttle body forward would make the silicone tube bend correctly. Anyone done this?
snow kit.jpg
Sponsored

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT-350 Oxford & LB
I think that's recommended due to vacuum siphoning through the nozzle when off throttle. Upgraded solenoid should prevent that.

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
I think that's recommended due to vacuum siphoning through the nozzle when off throttle. Upgraded solenoid should prevent that.
This is one reason. Another is that many electronic throttle bodies do not fare so well with liquid water/meth spraying through them.

This was a problem with the VW throttle bodies. Many stopped working after WMI was setup just before the TB.

Personally, I had my GTI setup this way and did not have any issues. But I also didn't spray all the time.

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks for the replies. I’m just curious how this would affect the mixing/atomization being that the nozzle is almost inside the intake manifold and just about on top of cylinders 1 and 5. Do you think this would saturate the forward cylinders with water/meth compared to what will be entering the rear of the engine?

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
Thanks for the replies. I’m just curious how this would affect the mixing/atomization being that the nozzle is almost inside the intake manifold and just about on top of cylinders 1 and 5. Do you think this would saturate the forward cylinders with water/meth compared to what will be entering the rear of the engine?
Yes, that is an issue with many vehicles, due to the design of the intake and TB placement.

On the 1.8t engines, it was like this. Cylinder 1 would get the most, 2 would get a little less, 3 less, and so on. However, the intake manifold design on the VW wasn't so bad, so it still spread fairly evenly. It didn't cause any more knock in cylinder 4, for me anyway. Though, I have read where others were having issues with the downstream cylinders knocking more. A lot of that could have been due to the direction the coolant went through the block, as it flows through cylinder 1 first, so by the time it made it through cylinder 4, the coolant was much hotter.

That was with my stock setup. I've since built the motor and added an aftermarket intake mani and we tapped each runner with individual nozzles. Since we're pushing 500whp through that little motor, we wanted to make sure each cylinder is getting equal everything!

Sponsored

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
Ive wondered for years why this plate type setup has been around forever for nitrous but not meth its about damn time!!

Cool setup!

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Ive wondered for years why this plate type setup has been around forever for nitrous but not meth its about damn time!!

Cool setup!
What about the whole "word on the street" that the nozzle should be 6" before throttle body thing. Yeah for sure it looks like it would look snazzy on there. I would dig it.

But I wonder how it would work that close to the cylinders. Looking at video's of different meth/water nozzles I see they spay like a high power fine garden hose. The water/meth is in a liquid state that never goes to a gas state while in the intake. My IAT temps range from 50F-60F this time of year, I can't see that mix ever going to steam until sometime in the cylinders. I am guessing the nitrous wants to convert to gas the second it leaves the nozzle,meaning it should mix with the incoming air much faster and not need as much time to "pre mix". Just blabbing my thoughts.

I did call snow (pretty much why I posted this thread) and they were kind of hesitant on me even using it. They said that it would be better installing the nozzle 6" before the TB, and mentioned that the nozzle plate/adapter might make the silicone procharger inlet tube not fit because of the tight bend it's already making.

Just wondering if anyone else has installed one with a Procharger on there S550 and how it fit.

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yes, that is an issue with many vehicles, due to the design of the intake and TB placement.

On the 1.8t engines, it was like this. Cylinder 1 would get the most, 2 would get a little less, 3 less, and so on. However, the intake manifold design on the VW wasn't so bad, so it still spread fairly evenly. It didn't cause any more knock in cylinder 4, for me anyway. Though, I have read where others were having issues with the downstream cylinders knocking more. A lot of that could have been due to the direction the coolant went through the block, as it flows through cylinder 1 first, so by the time it made it through cylinder 4, the coolant was much hotter.

That was with my stock setup. I've since built the motor and added an aftermarket intake mani and we tapped each runner with individual nozzles. Since we're pushing 500whp through that little motor, we wanted to make sure each cylinder is getting equal everything!
Thanks for sharing your experience. Got me thinking about the videos I watched with the water/meth sprayers. Man i can imagine the mist hitting the far side of the nozzle only 3 inches away from the spray. Looking at the guy's hand in the video and the water dripping off of it. Only make me think the stuff would pool. Wondering if in the tube pre-throttle body what the likely hood is that it would run down hill into my intercooler. I know lots of air is rushing "up hill", but my IATs or only 50-60F this time of year and going to be colder by the week. Cant think it would do much drying as fast as that spray is coming out. Just thinking out loud, wanting someone to blow my concern to ruins. I won't mind.

Okay now I'm going to ramble more since I can. Whole reason I want to do this is 91 octane just aint enough to keep my knock sensors happy. So my IATs are pretty darn cool already, wondering how much of this whole "octane effect" I'm really going to see being that I'm a centri guy and don't have a hot IAT situation.

Anyone care to chime in?

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hesitant on even using the product? that seems weird
They were more than definately saying installing their injection system would be great for me and that it’s a great system. It was just the throttle body plate they were kind of unsure how well it would fit with the Procharger tubing. Also made it sound like it would perform better with the nozzle 6” before the throttle body. At least that was what I came away from the conversation with. Would love to hear if anyone else has spoke with them about it or installed one with the PC centri.

Sponsored

BlownOne

Horsepower Fiend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anything with wheels
I would suggest putting a 1/8” npt bung in your i/c pipe on the I/c to tb side. Then the compressed air has already traveled thru your I/c and it has a little time to blend/cool with the methanol before the motor eats it. You could also install it directly into the silicone tb coupler as far away from the tb as possible, but I would red loctite the shit out of it.

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I would suggest putting a 1/8” npt bung in your i/c pipe on the I/c to tb side. Then the compressed air has already traveled thru your I/c and it has a little time to blend/cool with the methanol before the motor eats it. You could also install it directly into the silicone tb coupler as far away from the tb as possible, but I would red loctite the shit out of it.
Thanks, yep that’s kind of the direction I’m thinking. Although I’ll probably take a look at mounting the throttle plate just to see if it fits with the silicone inlet. Thanks for the tip on the red loctite.

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
This is the recommended location for many tuners. Many even suggest two nozzles, one post turbo/SC and one post IC. This gives the best benefits of cooling and atomization and is far enough away from the TB that it won't cause any issues.

Bartly, as far as the W/M pooling, you won't have to worry about that. You only spray when in boost, so the mist will not have any time to pool (or touch anything, really). It will go straight into the combustion chamber.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I have given thought to the exact same setup someday small spray of meth for octane boost as I also only have 91, and it's not reliable 91 at that... I would also be a little leary of the spray plate post throttle body personally. I guess really depends on how well the nozzle atomizes the mix and how evenly it sprays over the diameter of the opening to ensure cylinder balance as you said with the front cylinder runners so close to the nozzle. Would feel a whole lot better about it if it was like multiport nitrous plates spraying from a few directions around the spacer instead of just one nozzle from one side.

Also seems strange that snow goes against there own recommendations by even offering the plate.

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Weird the pic looks like it has 3 nozzles maybe, but looking at at Beefcakes site there is no mention of nozzles coming with the kit. I put a call into Snow, but they said they would call me back.
Sponsored