Sponsored

Help reading my oil level!

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I just did my first oil change ever in my garage. Everything went smoothly for my first time. My garage floor is all nice and smooth too with all the oil that i spilled on it lol. Anyways, i cant for the life of me get a clear reading! I tried 10+ times and there is always oil all over the thing. Anyone got any tips? I need to make sure i put the right amount. I put a little under 8 quarts judging by how much i had left on the 2 5 quart bottles.
Sponsored

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
not sure how you are doing it.. but i would bring the vehicle up to operating temp...... shut off and let it sit 5-10 min..... when checking oil you always wanna wipe the dipstick off then reinsert it..... you should be able to see the level by the dots neat the end.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Silly question, but you aren't trying to check it while the car is running are you? I wouldn't explicitly run the car before checking (except after the initial change to fill the oil filter), as the more oil you have sitting in the pan, the more accurate the reading should be. And should also minimize the oil slop on the dipstick. That said, if you do run it and let it sit for a few minutes, that should get you close enough.

OP
OP
JuRuKi

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Car is off when i check. I take it out, wipe, reinsert and remove right after it goes all the way in. And there is oil all over the stick.

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
i had the same issue on my wrx, i dunno maybe its just me i can never get an accurate reading..i just changed my oil yesterday and put in 7 and 3/4

Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Yea, I've never gotten an accurate reading... especially with new fresh oil.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Car is off when i check. I take it out, wipe, reinsert and remove right after it goes all the way in. And there is oil all over the stick.
Maybe let it sit a while longer. Even with oil all over the stick, you can usually tell where the oil level is. Try rotate the dipstick 180 degrees and insert it.

I just took a peek at mine and it reads clear as day with no extra oil on stick - of course car hasn't been started since yesterday evening.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a personal problem with your dipstick, you should go to the doctor and get it looked at. :lol:

Terry :clap2:

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
I learned to never go to Wal-mart. I went a little over my mileage for synthetic and they said it took 10 quarts and they charged me almost $70, although they said it wasn't low. The place I usually go to puts just under 8 in it and charges about 45.

Sponsored

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
I have the same problem. Even after sitting overnight and wipe out the dipstick and reinsert it, the oil level is still hard to read.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Not trying to sound insulting, but..You didn't fill the oil through the dipstick shaft did you?

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
You might have the Spanish,dip stick in your S550,and your trying to read it in English,thats where your problem lies.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
It's all in the direction you remove the dip stick. Turn the flat towards the engine and pull it from the front engine side of the strut tower brace. When you putt it out right it's readable every time and it comes out easier.

BoostedCanadianPoney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Antoine
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard EB PP base
i would shut the car off and let it sit the whole night. then go check the dip stick wipe, dip it back in again wipe, dip it back again etc. until I get an accurate reading
Sponsored