Sponsored

150+ mph

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
150 on a public road? Don't bother stopping - the amount of time you're going to spend in court is probably negligibly changed by immediately pulling over. In MD that's a perfect recipe for being arrested on the spot, reckless driving charge, any other vehicle charges they want like display of power or racing (likely all of the above). In MD that would be a mandatory surrender of your license (revocation) and can only be reinstated by the MVA after a 6-month waiting period for your first revocation.

Fleeing the police by itself in MD requires you to surrender your license and carries it's own penalties, but they don't stack. You can't double or triple forfeit your license...

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
It was.

He had two priors for 40 over as well as a prior at fault accident due to reckless driving.
So your original post isn't exactly "the starting point" as you stated.

You have any link to this happening?

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
Cops?? Heh You might as well keep on booking to the next 2 or 3 exits at that speed.

Sponsored

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Depends on where you are.

In most major cities, you'll be arrested and the vehicle towed then you'll be responsible for storage fees on top of your fine. If you have no other warrants and it's on a weekday you probably get out by the next morning.

If you're arrested in a small town you may be in for a couple of days until the judge show's up.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
I think anything in excess of 120+(if you have a proper car that is) isn't worth stopping for. I'm not condoning running but seriously your already WAY outside the law and headed to jail if you stop 9/10 times. They might add another charge of fleeing too the mile long list for not stopping so meh.

That being said I never speed and use cruise control at all times...

CCCP1999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CHAS
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I do short burst and even that scares me. Never know if there is a bear in the air.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Any interesting conversations?

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure about other states but in Texas, the speed limit is not a hard and fast law. Although it is treated as such by LEOs much of the time, it depends on the discretion of the cop whether he pulls you over or not. A lawyer can get a ticket dropped in some cases. The "safe, legal" speed that you can travel is dependent on weather, traffic and road conditions. Doing 70 in a 70 mph zone on ice is reckless, but doing 80 in a 70 mph zone on a straight, lonely stretch in good weather? Not so much. 30 or 40 over? Still at a cop's discretion, but it's going to be a job proving in court that it is safe if you are ticketed.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I think anything in excess of 120+(if you have a proper car that is) isn't worth stopping for. I'm not condoning running but seriously your already WAY outside the law and headed to jail if you stop 9/10 times. They might add another charge of fleeing too the mile long list for not stopping so meh.

That being said I never speed and use cruise control at all times...
Speeding is one thing. Running from the cops is something entirely different.

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
It's hard to avoid a quick run to 120-130 on an open highway. Especially since these cars are so willing to do it. It sucks that the penalties are so stiff. Here in FL you're likely to get jailed for anything over 100. As always, depends on the cop and your attitude. I know FL will impound and auction for drug offenses, but not sure about speed. Destruction of a car is pretty ridiculous considering an auction will at least provide money for the state.

I generally won't hit speeds like that unless it's daylight with high visibility. I have radar and Waze, but Waze has little to no accuracy when it's night time. I won't trust my license to radar only with instant on and laser out there. Not to mention that deer like to graze the roadside at night and get spooked pretty easy.

Fastest I've been is in the mid 140's on an open highway in the current car. Usually just sprints and nothing extended. I'm up, he sees me, I'm down type stuff.

Back when I was younger and had a Saleen SSC package with Vortech SC I'd challenge the higher limits quite often. I was stationed in CA and had a lot of twisties and open desert roads to play with. 170 on the speedo, and with calibration error was pushing 175 at the fastest I've ever been in a car. It had more to give with the 3.27 rear, but I got too nervous to push my luck. Lots of trips at 150-165 playing with motorcycles, Vettes, and Camaros of the day.

I once made the trip from Orlando to 29 Palms (2500 miles) in 36 hours, and that was with a 5 hour nap in Texas. Averaged 80 MPH cross-country, but only slowed down for metro areas and probably 9 or 10 fuel stops. Almost all of that trip was over 100. Made several 300 mile trips from Phoenix to 29 Palms in 3 hours, and that was stopping about halfway to top off the fuel. The good 'ole days!

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
I know FL will impound and auction for drug offenses, but not sure about speed. Destruction of a car is pretty ridiculous considering an auction will at least provide money for the state.
!
Yeah, I don't quite understand the seizure laws in other states. If you owe money on the car I'm not sure how the bank is going to feel being on the hook for an unsecured loan even if there's jail time on the other end. I doubt the state is going to pay the car off then fine the offender.

Back in the early 90's Louisiana tried to confiscate a buddy of mine's Ford Probe GT when he was busted with a pound of weed in the trunk. (he subscribed to the "buy more/ less often" strategy of drug purchasing. He owed the bank 11k on it and the bank intervened and pulled the vehicle out of confiscation proceedings then sold it and put the balance on a collection service on my friend.

Needless to say after a year in jail, fines, repo's and loss off livelihood the bank never saw any of that collected money. I can't imagine what would have happened if Louisiana had gotten the title. Didn't seem my friend could afford to do anything but jail time during that crisis.

OP
OP

cdq85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Boostey Pants
I almost got to answer my own question on Sunday lol I was going 130ish down a straight away and I started slowing down where it isn't safe to do that anymore and a cop was sitting on the exit above me. Thanks goodness he only got me doing 76 in a 55. Ended up knowing him so that helped :amen:
Sponsored