Sponsored

Oil Drain valves.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I guess the only issue I have with this 2 piece design is...what if an oil change is needed and the drain tool is not available? Kind of defeats the purpose of not removing a drain plug.
Sponsored

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I installed the Femco #6090010004 12mmx1.72-T9, Standard, SB drain valve on my V6. (first picture)
The length of the thread into to cast pan is 7/8". With the Femco valve in place the inner opening is just under ≈ 3/16" from bottom of the oil pan. I'll just plan on raising the driver's side of car a bit more than the passenger side.

(second picture) Because my other car has an angled plug like the Mustang GT, I'm posting a picture of it's longer 'Standard' Femco SB valve. GT's should definitely use the shorter 'Compact' version that hoosierdaddy recommends.
For most people, I think the compact is a slightly better choice even if the first car they install these on has a horizontal drain. The reason is if a future or additional car has a vertical drain, you would have to buy a second drainer for the compact valve OR use a standard valve (to match your standard drainer) and risk ground clearance problems.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I guess the only issue I have with this 2 piece design is...what if an oil change is needed and the drain tool is not available? Kind of defeats the purpose of not removing a drain plug.
Yes, you have to have the drainer for it to make sense to use them. But its the same for the key with locking lug nuts.

If you worry about needing to do a spontaneous oil change while away from home, it would be a good idea to stash the drainer wherever you stash your lug key (if you have one). A drainer is even smaller than a lug key without the drainer hose which I assume you don't use (or always carry with you for the Fumoto).

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Or just unthread the actual unit to drain oil if you don't have the hose with you
Like I said, defeats the purpose.
I guess you'd have to carry it with you, like maybe in the fuel filler adapter.
So why is this better than the lever kind again?

Sponsored

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Like I said, defeats the purpose.
So why is this better than the lever kind again?
Two piece drains are better because: (1) more ground clearance (2) won't lose oil if the valve fails/leaks, (3) won't dent your thumb when operating, (4) can't be accidentally opened by freak debris impacts, (5) can order thread lengths that match your oil pan thickness allowing more complete oil draining.

Someone can say they don't care about some or any of those but I can't imagine how any of those could be bad to have. Shoot, I even consider not being able to drain the oil without the drainer as a plus. I own cars that include "free" routine maintenance which I do NOT want. Twice my two piece valve stopped the dealer from changing my oil despite me telling them NOT to.

Nobody is saying the Fumotos are bad. I used them for decades and still have them in vehicles I owned before discovering the 2 piece type. Fumotos are much much better than a drain plug. But also not quite as good as a 2 piece valve. I wouldn't throw away an installed Fumoto to buy a 2 piece but if I have the choice of either at reasonable prices, I would NEVER chose the Fumoto.

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Two piece valves are good.

That's the brand that refused to respond to questions such as thread length. Please measure and post them before you install.

They also appear to have a smaller selection of thread sizes which means mixing valve brands between cars and wasting money on extra drainers if they don't have the size for your other or future cars.

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
The male part says it is 12mm x 1.75 which iirc from earlier in this thread is what we needed for our cars :shrug:

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The male part says it is 12mm x 1.75 which iirc from earlier in this thread is what we needed for our cars :shrug:
I'm talking about the thread LENGTH. With the washer, a 9mm length thread will be flush with the inside of the pan. Anything shorter (not likley) and its not as sturdy, anything longer (likely if they don't offer different length 12mm x 1.75) and some oil won't drain (imagine a bathtub with the drain sticking up over the bottom instead of being flush or recessed). Of course even with a drain plug, there could be some standing oil left if the hole isn't the lowest point (not sure about the GT without looking again).

I'm not suggesting it would be a big problem just that 9mm length is optimum for a GT pan. So please measure and post before installing and include the thickness of the washer (or what ever they call it).

Sponsored

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
I could've sworn that somewhere back in this thread someone said that the 12mm x 1.75 was perfect for s550 GT's? (I'm too tired to go back through the whole thread)

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I could've sworn that somewhere back in this thread someone said that the 12mm x 1.75 was perfect for s550 GT's? (I'm too tired to go back through the whole thread)
No need to read anything. Yes that part can be used in your car. 12mm x 1.75 is the thread specs for your oil pan. But like a 12mm bolt, it could be any length 1/2 inch long, 10 inches long, ?. We'd like to know how LONG the threads are so we know how far into the pan the threads extend because oil will only drain until it reaches the top end of the threads. You don't need to go back and read anything, but it would be nice if you could measure how LONG the threads are when you get the part and post it.

If a valve is only available in one length, it has to work with any pan thickness but that doesn't mean its OPTIMAL for any specific pan.

Knowing the length, will let anyone who cares about that (and most won't) choose a brand/model that best fits their needs.

I'm only asking you to measure it because the manufacturer has ignored multiple requests for that information.

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Ah gotcha...I haven't bought them yet...maybe if I reach out to Summit maybe they can measure one.

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Just got off online chat with Summit...he had a tech of their's on the phone...what he typed was that it is not printed and the tech says the thread length is approximately .5"

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Just got off online chat with Summit...he had a tech of their's on the phone...what he typed was that it is not printed and the tech says the thread length is approximately .5"
Thanks.

.5 inch is 12.7mm. 7mm would be flush on he inside of the pan assuming similar washer thickness. That is what I expected if a company only make one version of 12mm x 1.75; it would make sense to make it long enough for the thickest pan (including boss). So you might leave a few mm more old oil in with these than a valve that had 7mm of thread. Probably not a big deal. But 7mm would have been even better.
Sponsored