Sponsored

Which race gas to diagnose knock ?

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I see some intermittent knock at throttle tip-in and am trying to determine if it's real or false. I've mixed in some vp octanium and saw no change but would like to try some actual race gas as well. I know that certain oxygenated fuels have a different stoich than the standard e10 the car is tuned for. What fuel is best to use when strictly trying to troubleshoot s potential knock? I see ms109 is the most commonly discussed but if I'm not mistaken it really needs a specific tune otherwise the car will lean out.

Thanks
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I would use some Sunoco 260 GTX. You don't need to go all out on something like MS109 to diagnose false knock.

Although tip-in KR is not going to be solved by race gas, nor is it a false knock situation. The PCM instinctively takes away timing in sharp throttle actuation and it doesn't necessarily mean the knock sensors actually pick up noise.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
I see some intermittent knock at throttle tip-in and am trying to determine if it's real or false. I've mixed in some vp octanium and saw no change but would like to try some actual race gas as well. I know that certain oxygenated fuels have a different stoich than the standard e10 the car is tuned for. What fuel is best to use when strictly trying to troubleshoot s potential knock? I see ms109 is the most commonly discussed but if I'm not mistaken it really needs a specific tune otherwise the car will lean out.

Thanks
Sunoco 260 GTX is good. Make sure your tank is completely empty before using race gas. In my case it was false knock and poor fuel quality in my area.
My car ran the best on race gas, too bad it’s so expensive.
I ended up going back to stock as my tuner wasn’t willing to work with me.:rant:

OP
OP
ManBearPig

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
According to Sunocos website the closest location 260 GTX is sold is 118 miles a away.

There is a station that sells Sunoco "standard" leaded 110 about 50 miles away though.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Meh I wouldn't use leaded stuff in there, even if for a little bit.

You can also try a can or two of Torco...that stuff really works well to increase effective octane up to 100. I know you said you tried octanium, but I never had as good results with that as I have Torco.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ManBearPig

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Torco may be a better option if I can't find anything unleaded and non oxygenated in my state.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Torco may be a better option if I can't find anything unleaded and non oxygenated in my state.
Definitily use unleaded. I tried torco and it did not work as well as real race fuel in my case. Lucas did nonthing.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Two whole cans of Torco should really do the trick. Put in one can before filling and one can after filling if you want to really make sure its mixed well.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Owners manual ~
"Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if it knocks heavily under most driving conditions while you are using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage.

I think for knock to mess up an N/A engine, the engine would have to be under load. Can't recall if you get the same thing with stock tune and 93 octane. Whatever knock you see with that should be "normal".

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
A can of torco or octanium should do the trick

Sponsored
OP
OP
ManBearPig

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I've tried octanium and didn't see any difference. I'd just like to try out some proper high octane fuel too. I've read mixed reviews of octane booster effectiveness.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Personally, I see a huge difference mixing the Lucas octane booster stuff in with 91. 2-3 degree positive knock becomes 2-3 degrees negative. Based purely on my experience, I would say you don't have an octane issue.

OP
OP
ManBearPig

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Personally, I see a huge difference mixing the Lucas octane booster stuff in with 91. 2-3 degree positive knock becomes 2-3 degrees negative. Based purely on my experience, I would say you don't have an octane issue.
That is entirely possible. But I won't be comfortable saying that for sure until I try some real race fuel.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
I've tried octanium and didn't see any difference. I'd just like to try out some proper high octane fuel too. I've read mixed reviews of octane booster effectiveness.
If it's octanium or torco and an MMT based octane booster, it's the same as running race gas basically. If you mix it as specified, you're fine. Running a 100oct mix of pump and octanium/torco won't be different than running 100 unleaded.

Knock at tip in is probably not false, if you're not seeing it anywhere else.

OP
OP
ManBearPig

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
If it's octanium or torco and an MMT based octane booster, it's the same as running race gas basically. If you mix it as specified, you're fine. Running a 100oct mix of pump and octanium/torco won't be different than running 100 unleaded.

Knock at tip in is probably not false, if you're not seeing it anywhere else.
I don't think it's false either. But if it's not from low octane and it's not false....wtf is it from?
Sponsored