Sponsored

Drake Speed Mesh Hood Vents - Pics

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I was looking for some exterior mods that weren't too over the top, expensive or hard to replace. I like the 70's muscle car look of rear window louvers, but not sure I like them on the S550. I'm not a big fan of stick-on doodads either. No disrespect to anyone....your car, your money, do what makes you happy.

I've seen several different types of hood vents, but not a lot really piqued my interest. I came across the Drake Speed Mesh Hood Vents on CJPP and figured, for the price, why not? They were very easy to install and I could swap back to the stockers in 30 mins, total. The instructions that came with them are great and as usual, the CJPP video for installation was spot on. Here's that video:
[ame]

The entire assembly is all-metal. The button-head allen bolts and hardware that holds them on are stainless steel and powder coating seems well-done. At first I was thinking of replacing the button head bolts with black hardware, but as my GT has chrome badging and the chrome/anthracite wheels, I think it looks pretty good. I'll be honest: I do have concerns about the finish over time, especially in the south Texas sun. But time will tell, I guess. At $135 shipped, if they look great for a year and then I have to replace them it won't be the end of the world. I've seen a lot of S550s in my city, but none with these vents. Nice to be different. Pics or it didn't happen!
InkedIMG_20170924_163853114_LI (Large).jpg
InkedIMG_20170924_163708629_HDR_LI (Large).jpg
InkedIMG_20170924_163640358_LI (Large).jpg
InkedIMG_20170924_163546019_LI (Large).jpg
IMG_20170924_163615029 (Large).jpg
IMG_20170924_145937973 (Large).jpg
Sponsored

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Not a fan personally, but as long as you are happy that's all that matters.

Overall I love your car. The stance and the color are perfect.

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
They've only been on a few hours...I keep going out to the garage to look at them. :D They are growing on me. I tend to like simple lines and mods. They look better on the car than they do in the box, if that makes sense. The two pics they have on CJPP wasn't much to go by...I sort of took a chance with them. Happy so far. Still have the stock hood vents and can always swap back quickly if these wear out their welcome. So far, so good though. I dig'em.

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
You know, I'm very much like you ; I definitely lean more toward subtle, discreet exterior mods. which don't distract too much from clean, oem.look. That said, I do really think your new heat extraction vents are pretty sweet! Maybe it's the blk frt. grills....don't know, but it looks good.
Perhaps a black Anodized Fuel Door w/ S.S. fasteners would be complimentary?
BTW: you've certainly done some quality performance, suspension, lighting upgrades already on that '17! Well done! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55

Sponsored

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
Yes! I looked over selections on Am. Muscle link....definitely in a billet. Also, SHE (Silverhorse Racing) may have option ....they have quality billet ones and do custom Engraving, colors.
Don't know though if for '15-17, but may give you ideas.
Yes sir, your most welcome! My compliment was an.acknowledgement of your well-chosen
aftermarket items , the time it requires to.do the research/ comparisons, and the significant
cash outlay......not to mention the balls to.dive head-on into modding a beautiful brand new
ride!:hail: As you see, I have a '16 GT350. She was being "modified" within 2 wks of taking delivery.Lol! Incl. many of the exact parts you list from places such as Steeda, JLT, Diode Dynamics. Now a year and a half later the Red Beast is extensively "upgraded" in the manner in which I envisioned and about 90-95% complete. NO regrets, no looking back. I'm thrilled!
Keep her clean, subtle, go w/ reputable,quality brands as you are, and make it YOURS! :cheers:

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Not a huge fan of those but to help the look a large black stripe down the middle would look good imo, glad you like it though that is all that matters.

webelevy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Ingot Silver,Recaros, 20in Foundr
Looks good. I also have them installed on mine. After a few months, the black started to look faded. I pulled them off, disassembled them, scuffed the black pieces, and hit them with several coats of matte clear coat. They look much better and have held up through the summer heat. The car is parked outside 24/7.

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thanks for the heads-up, [MENTION=24898]webelevy[/MENTION]. I did and still have concerns about the black powder coat finish. The summer heat down here melts asphalt, so I have no delusions that these things are going to last forever. I'm wondering how hi-temp BBQ grill/engine block paint would hold up? We'll also see about the stainless fasteners and if they start rusting/turning color.

I know that ABS plastic lasts forever, but I didn't see any styles that I particularly liked. Possibly some other styles will come out in the next year or so...that's how long I'm giving these. I hope I'm wrong about their longevity, obviously.

DrDane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT A6 400A 3.55
Thanks for the heads-up, [MENTION=24898]webelevy[/MENTION]. I did and still have concerns about the black powder coat finish. The summer heat down here melts asphalt, so I have no delusions that these things are going to last forever. I'm wondering how hi-temp BBQ grill/engine block paint would hold up? We'll also see about the stainless fasteners and if they start rusting/turning color.

I know that ABS plastic lasts forever, but I didn't see any styles that I particularly liked. Possibly some other styles will come out in the next year or so...that's how long I'm giving these. I hope I'm wrong about their longevity, obviously.
Im down in Corpus and I put them on maybe 6 months ago, the stainless hasn't rusted and the powder coat is ok. Maybe faded a shade like the plastic trim on your car will with UV but holding pretty good
:headbang:

Sponsored

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Looks good. But I may be biased:lol: I wasn't sure I liked mine at first but it quickly grew on me.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I think black mirrors, wheels, badges and spoiler would go along good with them. A+ for stepping out of the box!

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thanks for the compliments, and thank you, Corpus Christi for checking in! 6 months in the salt air an Texas heat and they're still looking good is an encouraging sign.

Don't think I want to go the total Stormtrooper look. It's been done to death and I actually like the optional 20" wheels. I think Ford or whoever designed them did a good job. As they are chrome-ish and anthracite-colored, if I black out all the badges and trim the wheels will look out of place.

I am however, thinking about a three-line black stripe down the center of the car. Something like this, maybe. In vinyl/non-permanent, of course.

Keiferson22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT Premium
I'm on my second set of these Drake inserts. First set s tarted to rust after 2 months. Second set faded after 3-4 months. Just grabbed a set of Roush vents because I'm over it...
Sponsored