Sponsored

Base radio upgrades?

Prevail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
What does everyone upgrade their base radio with? I was looking at the tomtop, but I'm not sure if I want to do it because it seems buggy. I was looking for something <$500.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Honestly, save your money. The install kit from Metra or Scoshe is more than $300, not counting the radio. Your best bet is to save up and go with a Sync 3 retrofit.

OP
OP

Prevail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Honestly, save your money. The install kit from Metra or Scoshe is more than $300, not counting the radio. Your best bet is to save up and go with a Sync 3 retrofit.

What's a sync 3 retrofit? I have around $1600 to spend but I don't wanna spend a ridiculous amount just for a head unit... but I want something decent rather than that bland 4" screen.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Depends on what you want. Sirius? Sirius and HD Radio? Factory NAV vs Android Auto or CarPlay Nav. Choices as far as the bezel too. Prices vary but a basic swap is around $500-800. You're essentially installing the electronics from the Premium cars with the touchscreen.
Sync 3 Touchscreen/Sync Module
USB hub
USB cables
Premium bezel
Very easy except for some of the wiring changes. But I've walked many people through it

Sponsored

OP
OP

Prevail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Depends on what you want. Sirius? Sirius and HD Radio? Factory NAV vs Android Auto or CarPlay Nav. Choices as far as the bezel too. Prices vary but a basic swap is around $500-800. You're essentially installing the electronics from the Premium cars with the touchscreen.
Sync 3 Touchscreen/Sync Module
USB hub
USB cables
Premium bezel
Very easy except for some of the wiring changes. But I've walked many people through it
I have no experience with any of the aforementioned. I just want a touch screen with nav and bluetooth that's functional and not buggy.

I'd probably just have a shop install it for me.

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
What's a sync 3 retrofit? I have around $1600 to spend but I don't wanna spend a ridiculous amount just for a head unit... but I want something decent rather than that bland 4" screen.
i spent $700 and 3 hours of my time doing the base to sync3 swap..... worth every penny and works perfect.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4

Sponsored

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you use a premium bezel do you lose the buttons on the bottom or do the switches replace them? What about the right mode switch?

No, it's Chinese junk. All you really need to find is an APIM/Touchscreen aka Sync Module from any 16-17 Ford that came with Sync 3, a bezel from a Premium car and then a few things from Ford and some wire terminals.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82973

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto
If you use a premium bezel do you lose the buttons on the bottom or do the switches replace them? What about the right mode switch?
The buttons at the bottom function, the mode switch can be activated by making as built changes in forscan.
Sponsored