Sponsored

SYNC 3 swap, It's all in here

Status
Not open for further replies.

TX5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only thing i had to do at the acm was add 2 wires for SAT.

the GPSM has a grey.. and a violet that you need to take out..those are your MS-CAN wires.... make sure the wires stay connected... i made the mistake of just using one grey and one violet and i broke up the MS-CAN network and the panel wouldnt work.
Does that mean I don't have to move any ACM wires like the pin-out sheet says if I'm not using SAT?
20170924_153820.jpg
Sponsored

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
CORRECT!!! if you are keeping your base acm, it wont have SAT anyways.... You dont need to mess with that.

tom_hd02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Also, what is the best/easiest way to release the terminals from the APIM connector to swap them around?
You have to lift some plastic tabs to release the terminals from the connector. In the picture below, the "Contact Primary Lock" arrow is pointing at the tabs. Just pry (carefully) the tab in front of the terminal you want to release. Be careful not to break them. I took extra time to release and relocate those terminals.
Removing_APIM_terminals.jpg

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
So we need to remove the GPSM module, if that’s correct where is it located and what else is it for in the car

tom_hd02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I'm in the middle of doing my install but I had a couple questions about the wiring. I'm specifically referring to the what is being called "The smaller ACM connector" and the "GPSM Pin" on the pin-out sheet. I'm not seeing the color of the wires listed, GY/BU or WH/BN, on the smaller ACM connector. Also, where exactly am I pulling the GPSM pins from? I've added a couple pics to show what I'm referring to. Also, the GPSM is the box mounted in the second picture correct?

Thanks
The GPSM module needs to be removed from the car. Then, you can either disassemble the connector and pull the terminals or just remove the wrapping tape from the harness and cut the grey and the violet wires. I extended these two wires, and connected them to the APIM with new pins.

Sponsored

tom_hd02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
So we need to remove the GPSM module, if that’s correct where is it located and what else is it for in the car
The GPSM (global positioning satellite module) is the small square module shown in the second picture of TX5.0 post. The new GPS antenna (usually installed where the GPSM was, under the dash, above the a/c vents) is connected to the APIM, and it replaces the GPSM. The grey and the violet wires fro the GPSM connector will go to the APIM connector.

The GPSM module works as a compass in base cars.

See post # 1192 --> http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1770044&highlight=gpsm#post1770044

Last edited:

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
The GPSM (global positioning satellite module) is the small square module shown in the second picture of TX5.0 post. The new GPS antenna (usually installed where the GPSM was, under the dash, above the a/c vents) is connected to the APIM, and it replaces the GPSM. The grey and the violet wires fro the GPSM connector will go to the APIM connector.

The GPSM module works as a compass in base cars.

See post # 1192 --> http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1770044&highlight=gpsm#post1770044
I’ve got MfT now. I saw the wiring move going from base to either. Nothing about MfT to sync3

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Also, what is the best/easiest way to release the terminals from the APIM connector to swap them around?
I used a flathead jeweler's screwdriver to carefully pry up on the tabs.

wangfuco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT PP
Well, for those who went from base to SYNC 3, how did you solder wires inside the car? Finding power supply for my soldering iron is an issue for me.

Sponsored

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
Well, for those who went from base to SYNC 3, how did you solder wires inside the car? Finding power supply for my soldering iron is an issue for me.
i have a butane cordless soldering iron.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I’ve got MfT now. I saw the wiring move going from base to either. Nothing about MfT to sync3
Only thing you need to do as far as wiring is to adapt the MFT Media Module connector to the newer HU5Z hub connector, you can do it your self using parts listed in the OP or I sell them pre-made.
The GPSM is removed from base AND MFT cars. The new GPS antenna that I listed is used with Sync 3 and that information is communicated via CAN to other modules after you swap.

Butane soldering iron, be careful on the MS-CAN wires, they are very thin and the insulation is a bitch. I think I'll add a tool list to the OP.

TX5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How'd your install come out?
Very well so far thanks to you. I got everything installed and buttoned up. I just need to do a little programming to fix the glitchy phone calls and the reverse camera getting stuck on the screen even though I change gears out of reverse. Thank you again Hextall for all of your help!

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Very well so far thanks to you. I got everything installed and buttoned up. I just need to do a little programming to fix the glitchy phone calls and the reverse camera getting stuck on the screen even though I change gears out of reverse. Thank you again Hextall for all of your help!
That reverse camera thing is new to me... maybe you need a complete as-built flash from a Mustang similar to yours to work from? Makes me wonder if there are differences between auto/manual, or the Mustang and other models as far as how that's handled.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.