Sponsored

Anyone regret getting a manual?

Gnfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT PP, 1986 Buick GN
Crazy question right? This tranny is junk imo. The notchiness, sloppy feeling is annoying and so unrefined. Oh well, get the MGW and BG fluid! Well, I did on both! They helped but I still hate this trans, it is still notchy and I am seeing quite a few blown clutch posts on here. I enjoy driving a manual car immensly just wish this was a better performing trans. Btw, my 95lb gf cant put the damn car in reverse because of the mgw requiring to much force to get it into R. 1000 miles later it has not lossened up.
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
These cars should have had the Tremec, I'll say that. If the auto was available with the PP package, I would have had an automatic. For some reason, Ford feels that it should tell people what transmission is appropriate for "performance"... yet the auto holds up.

Only reason I'd EVER consider getting a 2018 is a PP with Auto, but... nothing else about the 2018 stirs my loins. I'd rather have a Camaro SS 1LE, which I'm confident will still beat an NA Mustang around a road course. It's lighter, more torque...

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The only "reason" I regret getting the manual is because I'm simply further behind due to the learning curve for a track car being much longer than with an auto. I'm still learning how to shift fast, heel and toe and all that jazz on the track. If I had gotten the auto, I'd be miles ahead in terms of times.

But besides that, I don't regret it at all. It's super easy to drive and honestly I don't really see the big issue with the transmission. Shifting for me is super smooth, easy and never have I really missed a shift. Yeah there's some clunking noises, and the shifter is a bit "loose", but honestly compared to some of the other manuals I've driven in the past this is much much better. If you really wanted to see loose shifters try driving some 90s early 00s GM products. This thing is a dream compared to those.

zillah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT Premium PP
Nope. I am quite ignorant about how much better a proper manual transmission should feel but I have no complaints with this one. If I slip the clutch incorrectly or miss a shift mistakenly, that is on me. I don't blame my lack of talent on the hardware.

Sponsored

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I always worry a bit about it but I have 15k of mine and drive it like I stole it and this has been the best manual transmission car I have ever driven. Shifts significantly better than any tremec I have owned and hasn't broke (knock on wood lol).

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Only when I go drag racing.

phatsesh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 convertible GT
I've heard performance trans are notchy. I have no problems

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Shifting for me is super smooth, easy and never have I really missed a shift. Yeah there's some clunking noises, and the shifter is a bit "loose", but honestly compared to some of the other manuals I've driven in the past this is much much better. If you really wanted to see loose shifters try driving some 90s early 00s GM products. This thing is a dream compared to those.
^^ This 100%. ZERO regrets with my '17 manual trans. Even though I gave up manuals 20 years ago. Haha.

MustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 401A 6M Ruby Red
Crazy question right? This tranny is junk imo. The notchiness, sloppy feeling is annoying and so unrefined. Oh well, get the MGW and BG fluid! Well, I did on both! They helped but I still hate this trans, it is still notchy and I am seeing quite a few blown clutch posts on here. I enjoy driving a manual car immensly just wish this was a better performing trans. Btw, my 95lb gf cant put the damn car in reverse because of the mgw requiring to much force to get it into R. 1000 miles later it has not lossened up.
I haven't given up on the manual trans just yet but after 2,000 miles I'm with you on the MGW shifter. Haven't done the BG fluid change yet but getting tired of the notchiness, stiffness, and the PIAT reverse. I haven't felt the silky smooth shifts that others have claimed. I may just be regretting the MGW.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
My MGW made the M/T what it should have been from the factory. Shortly after buying my Mustang, I had to drive a 10 year old VW with a recent clutch replacement. That shifter was better. And when I lived in Germany, my BMW 120d was a M/T and THAT shifter was better. No clunks. No clanks. Neither of them. I'm frustrated to this day... but I've learned to ignore it (especially since I've made it worse with mods, haha)!

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
This manual is the best I've had in 40 years of driving 8 manuals and only owning two automatics.
Sponsored