Mobile Phone Wifi Calling

Myweepony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto
Any of you guys knowledgeable about things mobile?

I'm one of the rare breed that hardly ever uses a mobile phone. I'm retired, I've no mates but mostly because I can't get a signal within half a mile of the house.

As a result, it is carried (usually switched off) when in the car or on the bike just in case of emergencies. Most of my communication is done face to face, email or landline.

However, shiney new car = shiney new phone running 7.1.2.

Most providers require you to buy your phone from them to take advantage of wifi calling. 3 seems to be the only one that has an app that you can use with any phone. Their payg credit appears to be time limited, depending on what I'm doing I can make a fiver credit last a couple of months or more.

First world problems etc. Anybody use wifi calling and knows of any sim deals?

Cheers :cheers:
Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
use whats app that has built in wifi/data based calling so its free no impact on minutes etc, there's the 3 app which allows you to do your normal number over wifi and uses your credit/inclusive minutes.
I think o2 has an app that does the same as the 3 one too. there's also skype

OP
OP

Myweepony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto
Thanks for that hinch.

I was thinking more along the 3 lines where I can use my own number.

Some of these online banking things can be a bitch when they want to send you a verification text. It's normally, open the gate, start the car, go back in house and press submit on the computer. Then jump in car, drive half a mile, wait for text and then high tail it back to the house to enter the text before the time limit expires.

I see 3 do a £9/month contract with unlimited texts and calls and 4GB data which isn't much I suppose, I probably spend that much a week on the lottery. It's just the fact that £9 credit would almost last me a year.

Can anyone say how much data a phone would use when plugged into the car using Waze and the likes.

I think I've been up here too long, I'm turning into a right tight bastard.

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
Hit me the other day that I do seem to have the phone on for Google Maps or Waze when in car mostly for traffic or the cameras.

Halfway through the month and my phone says it has used 120 mb for Maps. Not bad considering it is almost always on in the car and I do about 1600 miles a month.

downthepub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miles
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, VW California
The O2 Tu Go app allows WiFi calling and SMS texting.

My wife was on three, but the reception in our house in the centre of Aberdeen was pretty wank. She's now moved to Vodafone - I'm on Vodafone myself - and no complaints. Not sure if Vodafone have an App, but the service is good enough that I don't need it.

Sponsored

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
BTW I'm on EE and wifi calling is standard on my Samsung. Just a switch in the settings. I'm only 22 miles from central London but the signal is very sporadic around here.

OP
OP

Myweepony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto
The O2 Tu Go app allows WiFi calling and SMS texting.

My wife was on three, but the reception in our house in the centre of Aberdeen was pretty wank. She's now moved to Vodafone - I'm on Vodafone myself - and no complaints. Not sure if Vodafone have an App, but the service is good enough that I don't need it.
Hi Miles, what was the 3 reception like overall when out and about?

3 appears to be about the cheapest but it doesn't really matter which provider as I haven't seen one yet that works within half a mile of the house. So mainly it's the quality of the wifi app and being able to use my own number when doing so. I'd probably use the phone more if I could use it at home, so £9/month for unlimited calls and texts would do. I don't think I'd get to unlimited in my lifetime never mind monthly.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Miles, what was the 3 reception like overall when out and about?

3 appears to be about the cheapest but it doesn't really matter which provider as I haven't seen one yet that works within half a mile of the house. So mainly it's the quality of the wifi app and being able to use my own number when doing so. I'd probably use the phone more if I could use it at home, so £9/month for unlimited calls and texts would do. I don't think I'd get to unlimited in my lifetime never mind monthly.
Take it from a guy who lives in the middle of nowhere, there's very few "online 4g/3g checkers" that work... Vodafone claim I can get superfast 4g... I'd have been lucky to have mobile net. EE seems to be good for me, but worth checking. Think u can get "sim only" or free sims just to 'test' the signal etc.

OP
OP

Myweepony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto
BTW I'm on EE and wifi calling is standard on my Samsung. Just a switch in the settings. I'm only 22 miles from central London but the signal is very sporadic around here.
I'm on EE with Asda sim but you need a phone supplied by them to use the wifi.

I've only just got this phone, Wileyfox 2x, so I'm not about to buy another.

Thanks for the data usage info.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Myweepony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto
Threes unlimited date is good if you can stretch that far. I use waze for about 6 hours a day every day. Looks like I use about 2.6gb a month.

My total data usage for a month is normally around 30gb. I do work honest :lol:
No need for unlimited data. I have unlimited broadband on my landline. I just want to be able to use my mobile at home where there is no mobile signal. I hardly ever use it so I'm looking for low minutes, low texts and by the looks of things fairly low data for when it's plugged into the car. Some of the payg sims are not much cheaper than 3's £9/month contract with the disadvantage that they are time limited to 30 days. May as well just get the 3 contract with unlimited calls and texts that I will never use but at least they will be there if I need it and I don't have to bugger about topping up every month.

Unless, somebody knows different that is.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Most phones if you have no signal, you have no 4g/3g either... :/

OP
OP

Myweepony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto
Most phones if you have no signal, you have no 4g/3g either... :/
Manders, you're not listening. :frusty: Watch my lips. There are apps available that let you use wifi to make calls from a mobile phone. I have wifi at the house.;)

OP
OP

Myweepony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto
Have you thought about a True Signal or Sure Signal? One of those boxes that plug into your broadband and give you a minicell at home.

Three call it "Home Signal" -> http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL?Command=New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=Article,varset_cat=signal,varset_subcat=3804,Case=obj(12975)
I looked into those a few years ago. They were either horrendously expensive or you had to have a full fat contract phone for business use only before you could get one. A mere payg wouldn't cut it. Things may have changed though.
Sponsored