Sponsored

Project Cobra

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
@Gibbo205 Yet RS boys have the exact same issues due to the same cheaped out parts, RS boys have had a hell of a lot of ecobooms in the UK... Mustangs - 0.
I do agree, if building the block it'd be cheaper to just buy the V8.

We're talking numbers so on current prices:
EB - 33645
V8 - 38095
(difference of £4450 for the engine)

OPG + FPG on a v8
Say £1000 just for the sake of argument
Whipple:
Say £9000 for the sake of argument (Inc installing etc taking Gt101's prices)

That's an 800 bhp V8 for:
48k. (WITH NO OTHER MODS)

Vs

Ecoboost built motor ($6000 usd, say $7000 total to ship - £5453 in price. 24% tax duty etc, is 6741 total)
6741+2500 for Turbo (ish) then £600 for Intercooler, £280 for tune+ tune.

That's EB:
+10121
Total of £43766

so you could pay:
£43766
or
£48k

£4300 to play with on the EB gives you enough room (easily) to do the intake and other bits, yet, same power and a shedload more torques :D.

Good ol' man maths :lol:

A fucking shit car drive ability, sorry owned a lot of turbo stuff, big horsepower on a single turbo drives like shit. Good in a straight line race, shit at everything else, why big power EVO's don't do track days so much, trying to hold a turbo powered car, particular one with a big single turbo is not easy work through a corner, any owners here of old Sapphire Cosworths will confirm that. :D

An 800HP SC V8 has power at 1500rpm and at 8000rpm. The whole power band is linear and instant response.

A single turbo big power car aint spooling until 4000rpm and its all over by 7000rpm unless you seriously build the motor.

You need twin turbo setup, to drive nice but on a 2.3l its just not gonna work, best drive ability on the 2.3l will be a peak of 500HP, anything higher is a compromise its that simple and the car becomes more a racer than a daily.

Nothing beats NA, straight and simple, SC and Twin turbo works nicely but NA is the best, single turbos are fine on smaller engines upto a certain amount of power. Bigger single turbos introduce more lag, the tuning principles are the same, just improved but the absolute best twin scroll turbo has lag.

I know, driven every car Porsche offer, a company who are just about the best, but even their single turbo cars have lag. :(

So for me that extra 5k gets me a truly gorgeous noise, instant throttle response and linear power delivery, worth every penny.
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Depends what turbo you go for. There's turbo's that'll push the EBM(Built) into the 900s+ easily. However they as you say, kick at 4k. With the project car we're exploring some others, that kick around 1750 all the way to redline, as it's not just the big b0ll0x slap a number kind of car, because, same price we could do the "yeah but we have 900 horses" but, his wife needs to enjoy driving it, so we're sitting twin scroll single turbo with ball bearing for faster spool and shorter spool time.

As always swings and roundabouts and such, just, yeah worth noting the prices as theres not much in them really.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
my god the amount of lag on a 500 hp cossie was insane nothing nothing nothing holy fucking shit........

and impossible to keep on boost on anything other than a massive sweeping bend.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
my god the amount of lag on a 500 hp cossie was insane nothing nothing nothing holy fucking shit........

and impossible to keep on boost on anything other than a massive sweeping bend.
Glad you posted, turbo's have come a long way and modern production cars are vastly improved. But a big single turbo car is unbeatable for turning the stomach and making passengers feel sick haha, but in a daily it quickly wears off.

But any big power on the 2.3l will be similar to Cossies of old, there is no way around it, lag exist even on the very finest production turbo cars. The absolute best option is twin turbo and even then you can still detect it.

NA is simply unbeatable for response and linear power, something the Coyote excels at too because it loves to rev, something I really enjoy being a Honda Vtec boy several years back. :D

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
yeah I loved my old vtec too just revved forever :)

tbh the missis's ST 2lt turbo even with it being a low boost small turbo still has considerable lag but its no where near as bad as some of the older cars.
Friend used to have a 240sx running just under 600hp on a single turbo and it was painful you had to be prepared to catch the turbo spool as when it did it'd whip the rear end to the front almost instantly if you weren't prepared to catch it was just the most insane thing ever. Think he got the turbo off an old volvo lorry was basketball size!

Sponsored

OP
OP

JWR

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.j-w-racing.co.uk
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic Grey
plus the EB is lighter so doesn't need the same power to perform at a similar level on the road!

oh and we have mentioned the failing oil coolers on the V8s yet ;)

:D

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
plus the EB is lighter so doesn't need the same power to perform at a similar level on the road!

oh and we have mentioned the failing oil coolers on the V8s yet ;)

:D
Don't forget the electrical fires.

Okay, lets not bash engines, cars etc. I was meerley stating that for less money you can get the same horse power from the I4. Nothing more nothing less ;)!

Reminds me of those super up R33's, surpas, etc style cars where they've slung on the bigged fking turbo they could find and ran 1300 horses or something absurd, but the car drives like a sack of poop! :lol:. Power is relative. (Gibbos M3 is testament to that, rapid, small, light, less power than his mustang, but would slaughter it)
Sponsored