Any New England winter drivers?

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium
I DD'd a Mustang in S.W. Michigan, which gets more snow than your area.

1. You do not need to put any weight in the trunk.
2. You DO need amazing snow tires.

Once you have good snow tires, the car will be better in the white stuff that the Subaru on All Season tires.
Suggestions for good snow tires for the stock 18 inch rims?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I live in South Eastern Massachusetts, not much in the way of bills but the ones we do have have never presented a problem. Just like when I raced enduros, getting up a hill is all about maintaining momentum.

H44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium DIB
Any snow tire recommendations for the 20 inch foundry GT wheels?

TurboMach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1
i cringe at the idea of driving my mustang during the winters up here. not because of the snow but because of that crap they spray all over the roads on an almost daily basis.

Sponsored

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Enough rambling - anyone here daily their Mustang in a super heavy winter state? If so, how does the combination of good tires, extra weight, and snow mode improve the drivability?
Fear no winter!

I drove my '16 GT through an entire Bavarian winter and had no issues. Hell, I sustained 120mph in winter conditions (as do many around here) and still do spirited curvy-road drives with nothing more than a set of Blizzaks. If things get really bad, I'll engage the car's "snow & ice" mode; it's magical in deeper snow and spares you from adding weight into the trunk.

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Used to live in MA/NH, moved to the nicer climate that is NC.
Coldest it gets really is maybe in the 30's once in a while, rarely see snow.

My biggest gripe was always the salt, not the actual snow on the ground. For that reason I had a beater mustang and my mustang I drove in fair weather. It's very do-able, especially with a good snow tire.

OP
OP

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
i cringe at the idea of driving my mustang during the winters up here. not because of the snow but because of that crap they spray all over the roads on an almost daily basis.
That thought seems to be common - I get it, but I'm slowly developing the mentality that cars are meant to be driven, and the sad reality is that we have 6 months of crap to drive through.

Car washes 1-2 times per week are routine for me, which helps mitigate the salt issue but brings a whole other round of issues that come with using automatic car washes.

In the end, I'd rather drive the car through hell and back than to think at night that it's sitting in some storage unit just waiting for spring to arrive.

2veloce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS PREM CONVERTIBLE AT
That thought seems to be common - I get it, but I'm slowly developing the mentality that cars are meant to be driven, and the sad reality is that we have 6 months of crap to drive through.

Car washes 1-2 times per week are routine for me, which helps mitigate the salt issue but brings a whole other round of issues that come with using automatic car washes.

In the end, I'd rather drive the car through hell and back than to think at night that it's sitting in some storage unit just waiting for spring to arrive.
Been there and done that too many times. Then when I sold my garage queen I regretted not driving it. I often remind myself that if I don't drive my Mustang some day someone else will!

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I'm in the same argument with myself. Had no problem in my ecoboost last winter (was actually better in snow than the Mazdaspeed3 it replaced), and now I have the GT. I just don't want all of the salt and crap on the car, the snow isn't even a factor to me. If it was JUST snow I would go for it with winter tires unless it was a full blown blizzard, but all that nasty gunk always sets off a little voice in the back of my head that keeps nagging me about getting a beater.

Sponsored

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
^ This. The spray they put down on the roads is unbelievably corrosive. My truck already has 7 winters under its belt so it sees the winters why the GT is parked. My old cars get the garage, the GT stays outside all winter (unless you guys know of some cheap storage around here, haven't looked much yet).

Different animal but my truck is a not a 4WD, I've driven 2WD trucks since I've had my license in MA with no issues. As many have said, just get good tires.

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
3rd option.
You can move to the South and drive it all year long

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Drove my Performance Pack GT daily since I got it last May... thru the Michigan winter. It wasn't so bad. I put Blizzaks on.

It's lowered now on springs though and I really don't want to risk more salt damage, so I don't think I am going to daily it this year. Luckily I am a programmer and work from home so I'll put the winters on for emergencies but otherwise just park it in the garage and try to only take it out on days where the roads are decent. The wife has a new Stage II STI so that will be our winter vehicle :D

It can be done, it's not hard. I never had issues and there were a few wild nights where the roads had not been plowed and it was definitely a white knuckle drive... but just use your common sense and you'll be okay.

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Any snow tire recommendations for the 20 inch foundry GT wheels?
20 inch tires are gonna be super expensive.

Unless you have a Performance Pack with the big brakes... I'd buy a cheap set of 18 inch steel wheels to use in the winter.

racered_ppGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
i have a 07 GLI that i use as my "daily" even though i end up driving the mustang more lol but last winter i trusted driving my GT the snow more than my GLI, granted Maryland winters have been a joke lately. Part of that is because my jetta is bagged and the previous owner thought it was a great idea to take all the wheel liner out :doh: so i just dont want a bunch of salt and shit getting thrown up in the engine bay, nor do i really feel like spending 80 buck 1 wheel liner lol now that i have knew wheels on my mustang im most likely going to put snow tires on my PP wheels and call it a day.
Sponsored