Sponsored

Anyone run an XM antenna yet?

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Has anyone run the magnetic XM antenna? I have one in my truck and I just close the door on the wire, but I would rather not do that on the car. I'd rather not have the antenna out there at all but I had no luck in the truck trying to connect it inside the vehicle.

Anyone have something rigged up you could pass along info about? I want to gete a bluetooth adapter so I can take the audio from the stereo jack then sync into the bluetooth in the car. I just need to figure out a way to run the XM antenna or get the signal without altering the weatherstripping, etc.

Any info is most appreciated.
Sponsored

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
i dont have a pic but mine is on my trunk..... i did a sync3 conversion and wanted sat.the wire is ran neatly to the front of the car

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I know it's extreme, but you could easily drill a hole in the rear of the roof and install it in the factory location.
The headliner pops down easily and the wire can be run up the a pillar and across the headliner.

Shagen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Supercharged
you can just pop off the center grill and put the XM antenna there. Use the flat meta base that came with the setup with the sticky take on one side. It works perfect and you cannot see it when the center grill is put back on. I put it right next to an aftermarket GPS antenna. works fine.

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
you can just pop off the center grill and put the XM antenna there. Use the flat meta base that came with the setup with the sticky take on one side. It works perfect and you cannot see it when the center grill is put back on. I put it right next to an aftermarket GPS antenna. works fine.
works no matter which direction the car is? i was afraid of reception issues if the car wasnt facing the satellite correctly.

Sponsored

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Interesting idea. IS there a grommet somewhere so I can it through the firewall without drilling a new hole?

And I have the same question as the other guy about reception.

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I know it's extreme, but you could easily drill a hole in the rear of the roof and install it in the factory location.
The headliner pops down easily and the wire can be run up the a pillar and across the headliner.
Too extreme for me..lol. I won't even buy a spoiler that requires drilling.

mlevans1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I had mine ran to the rear dash. At normal intervals i would lose Satellite because of the roof. I would imagine putting it in the front dash would give the same results. So i just ran mine out of the trunk, up the rear window (there is a channel here so you cant see the wire) and to the center of the roof. looked factory minus it being black.

M151A2

Skinny old dude
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
What are you using for a XM receiver? I don't have an aux jack and have been wanting a XM receiver that uses the existing radio.

Shagen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Supercharged
Interesting idea. IS there a grommet somewhere so I can it through the firewall without drilling a new hole?

And I have the same question as the other guy about reception.
You don't have to go through the firewall at all. I run a pioneer AVIC-8200NEX and run the XM/Sirius antenna from the back of the radio to right under that center dash grill. No issues with reception.

This is where I put it (about 5:35 into the video)

[ame]

Sponsored
OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
You don't have to go through the firewall at all. I run a pioneer AVIC-8200NEX and run the XM/Sirius antenna from the back of the radio to right under that center dash grill. No issues with reception.

This is where I put it (about 5:35 into the video)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...I thought you were talking about the actual grille of the car..haha

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
What are you using for a XM receiver? I don't have an aux jack and have been wanting a XM receiver that uses the existing radio.
I'm probably just gonna use the standard Onyx unit I have in my truck. I'll just get another mount and antenna for it. Saves me 5 bucks.

I hate hate hate FM transmitters. They suck. The audio quality is shit and you're constantly fighting with local radio stations. I use it in the truck but I used an adapter to connect it in line with the radio antenna where it plugs into the back of the factory radio. The signal interference is very minimal.

Also for the Tacoma there is a hack out there where you can solder a wire to the back of the CD player where it outputs to the speakers and put an aux jack on the other end of it so basically you have an aux input that goes right to the speakers (and presumably passes through the amp) and if I recall correctly you just put the unit in CD mode and don't play anything. I would wager something like that is possible also with the Mustang.

BUTTTTTTTTT...In the mustang my plan is to use the Onyx and use the output jack going to a bluetooth transmitter. I couldn't find an XM unit with Bluetooth (why?) but you can buy little bluetooth transmitters for less than 25 bucks that will sync up to your stereo. You're basically manually adding bluetooth capability to your transmitting device (phone, DM, etc.). I've done this successfully with my ear buds so I could use my awesome buds as wireless syc'd up to my phone.
Sponsored