Sponsored

Trending on /r/cars: 2019 Shelby GT500 to receive Ford's new N/A 7.0L V8 w/ DI

BluFlash5x8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 5.0 LX, 2012 GT500, 13' GT500, 13 & 14 5.0...
Ford has actually let it slip in one magazine for future new car's, that it'll be a Supercharged 5.0, with between 685-725 hp.
Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The GT500 is just not another car, it is a race car.
So what does the GT500 need? Less weight, lower center of gravity, better suspension, etc. Point is, what is the GT500 being designed to do... compete at what circuits ? And is Ford going to homogenize the GT's under one racing engine ?

I personally think the engine is something strange. Because to me, it sounds strange. I can't place the whine. My first guess would be a new Coyote 3, w/bi-turbos.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Well Ford need to hurry it along. Dodge just unleashed it's widebody SRT Hellcat. Its a Hellcat that can TURN ! It has all of the roadcourse goodies in it, and the Hellcat engine. It went wide body to get the bigger tires on up front and out back. Plus its still does a solid 10.9 in the 1/4....Sounds like a GT500 killer too me...Dodge is making moves...big moves! and their not taking a year or two to do it. Just using a proven platform and making tweaks.

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
"Boss 9" remake makes sense......GM put a 427 ls7 in the Vette, no reason a 429 couldn't be in a Mustang....Ford got 101HP/Litre out of the Voodoo NA so 700+ should be a no brainer for a 7.0....but I don't think it will be FPC. Easily 850+ with a blower...should be VERY interesting.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Well Ford need to hurry it along. Dodge just unleashed it's widebody SRT Hellcat. Its a Hellcat that can TURN ! It has all of the roadcourse goodies in it, and the Hellcat engine. It went wide body to get the bigger tires on up front and out back. Plus its still does a solid 10.9 in the 1/4....Sounds like a GT500 killer too me...Dodge is making moves...big moves! and their not taking a year or two to do it. Just using a proven platform and making tweaks.
Gt500 killer? Maybe on a daytona 500 type track it would beat a GT350, and maybe the old 2013/14 GT500 but at 4400 lbs it weighs just too much. I bet the new GT500 will tear it an absolute new one.

Sponsored

Driver 8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i Coupe
Gt500 killer? Maybe on a daytona 500 type track it would beat a GT350, and maybe the old 2013/14 GT500 but at 4400 lbs it weighs just too much. I bet the new GT500 will tear it an absolute new one.
I hope it looks the business too because the WB Hellcat is one sexy beast.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Ford got 101HP/Litre out of the Voodoo NA so 700+ should be a no brainer for a 7.0....

Specific output does not scale with displacement. It is far easier to get 100+hp/liter when you have a very small displacement because as you increase the engine's displacement you also increase the rotating mass, reciprocating mass, internal friction, and pumping losses. All these things work against the engine's ability to make power.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Specific output does not scale with displacement. It is far easier to get 100+hp/liter when you have a very small displacement because as you increase the engine's displacement you also increase the rotating mass, reciprocating mass, internal friction, and pumping losses. All these things work against the engine's ability to make power.
Kill joy ;)

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I hope it looks the business too because the WB Hellcat is one sexy beast.

Think so? I can't stand it, and its one of the main reasons I backed out of the demon purchase. Hideous IMO, but we all have different tastes. I can't stand flair bulges like that, it looks like a band aid. Prefer that its well though out and flares completely around the wheel like the current GT350, no lip/ seam.

What displacement is that FR9 racing motor, doesn't that make 900HP? I get that it probably isn't going to make the cut, emission wise, but that is one beast of a motor.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
What displacement is that FR9 racing motor, doesn't that make 900HP? I get that it probably isn't going to make the cut, emission wise, but that is one beast of a motor.

With a racing engine there are so many compromises that are made in the name of maximum power. The Nascar engines are limited to 5.8 liters. Apply the same design to a smaller engine and yes it will make less maximum power, but it will have a higher specific power output. Compare to OEM sportbike engines then MotoGP for example. They are getting around 180-250hp respectively out of 1.0 liter displacement. That Nascar engine with the same specific output would make between 1,044-1,450hp.

Last edited:

Driver 8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i Coupe
Think so? I can't stand it, and its one of the main reasons I backed out of the demon purchase. Hideous IMO, but we all have different tastes. I can't stand flair bulges like that, it looks like a band aid. Prefer that its well though out and flares completely around the wheel like the current GT350, no lip/ seam.
I too prefer wide hips made from metal not riveted plastic. But in general I'm a fan of the challenger's looks because it's old school muscle design. Adding some width and fatter tires looks good to me. The GT350 is also awesome but more in a modern sculpted way. Prefer the GT350 but love me some challenger too.

I'd like to see FCA put out a Cuda. Smaller and lighter than a challenger but equally retro and muscular.

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
I applaud what Dodge has done with the Demon/Widebody Challenger but it would be disappointing if the new GT500 doesn't blow the doors of it handling/performance wise. The challenger is a heavy ass boat of a car. I know the Mustang is no Lotus Elise but if you have ever sat in or driven a Hellcat you know its HUGE. I think the Stang will make for a better package overall. We know it can be made to handle as the GT350 has shown. Hopefully, the GT500 will start there and take it to 11!!

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I too prefer wide hips made from metal not riveted plastic. But in general I'm a fan of the challenger's looks because it's old school muscle design. Adding some width and fatter tires looks good to me. The GT350 is also awesome but more in a modern sculpted way. Prefer the GT350 but love me some challenger too.

I'd like to see FCA put out a Cuda. Smaller and lighter than a challenger but equally retro and muscular.
I too like the challenger, just not the flares. Id love to see a lean cuda, something that can handle. Maybe a 3600 lbs with a 600 HP NA 427. Id like it to have tasteful throwback looks or be a modern day twist.
Sponsored