Sponsored

Stock GT Exhaust on V6 Mustang

StangATX

Project Corrupted Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 White Corrupted Cyclone
Or make your own. I just finished to make mine out of the GT Exhaust piping.

[ame]
Sponsored

nmusti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 convertible
I did this to my vert yesterday , Club member gave me his and I do think it has a nicer tone to it. One thing to know about this is that on the Verts there is extra bracing to stiffen up the car that is not found on the hard tops. You need to remove the brace that goes from the center of the car bolted on both sides of the car to the rear of the car before you can even get to the exhaust system. After that its a cake walk to install the exhaust
I should have my hands on a GT exhaust this weekend. I too have a convertible, anything else I need to know when installing the exhaust? No issues with the brace being removed while it's jacked up. I've never taken an exhaust off before, but y'all make it sound pretty easy.

Thanks!

Aeroslash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6, Guard Green
Any one know if the V6 resonator and the GT resonator are the same?
I bought a chopped up resonator and mufflers from a GT. Have a muffler shop quoting $150 to install the 2 mufflers or $250 to install the resonator and mufflers.

If the resonator is the same, figure I don't need to spend an extra $100 on install cost.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Any one know if the V6 resonator and the GT resonator are the same?
I bought a chopped up resonator and mufflers from a GT. Have a muffler shop quoting $150 to install the 2 mufflers or $250 to install the resonator and mufflers.

If the resonator is the same, figure I don't need to spend an extra $100 on install cost.
The only difference as far as installation issues is the V6 resonator has 2.25" pipes coming out, the GT resonator has 2.5" pipes. In order to install the GT mufflers with your original V6 resonator it will require 2.25 to 2.5 pipe adapters. I've read that internally both resonators are the same, but I do not know that for a fact.

You can bolt the GT resonator right up to the V6 mid pipes, no adapters needed, but the shop will have to bend and weld in some 2.5 pipe to replace the pipe that was cut off the GT system, that's what the extra $100 is for.

I would agree that it's not worth the extra $100 to have the GT resonator installed, but to be blunt, paying a shop anything at all to piece together a hacked up stock exhaust defeats the purpose of doing this mod. The end result just isn't worth the expense.

Complete GT exhausts are out there and they're cheap enough that it's just not worth the cost trying to weld together a system from pieces. I can guarantee with a little patience you can find a complete, unmolested GT exhaust for $150 or less (I paid $80 for mine). If you don't want to install it yourself, a shop will put it in for you and likely only take a 1/2 hour doing it, so if they charge more than $100 for the job they're just ripping you off. So, for the $250 it will cost you to put in a butchered system you can get a complete uncut system installed for you that visually looks original on the car, or for the $150 you'd pay to have just the mufflers installed you can get a complete GT system and put it in yourself.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
soldier989

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
To each their own. To me this swap has made my Mustang experience much more enjoyable. The sound is great, the look is far better. There's a very noticeable difference in exhaust sound. I get compliments all the time on how good my car sounds from all kinds. Just the other day a co-worker of mine with a Camaro couldn't believe I had a V6. Guess it all depends on what sound your looking for.

nmusti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 convertible
Thanks soldier989 for the recommendation to contact my local mustang group; picked up a GT exhaust in 24 hours about 10 miles from my house for $50. I'm waiting on some of those Zpeedstarz headers from eBay that several members have recommended to arrive this week and will probably just let a local shop install all at one time. I'm sure I could handle the exhaust, although taking off the braces on my convertible concerns me slightly, but it's too damn hot & muggy here in SC for me to want to crawl around under the stang.

I'll do my best to take before and after videos and post the results or worse case at least post my opinion of the outcome.

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
To each their own. To me this swap has made my Mustang experience much more enjoyable. The sound is great, the look is far better. There's a very noticeable difference in exhaust sound. I get compliments all the time on how good my car sounds from all kinds. Just the other day a co-worker of mine with a Camaro couldn't believe I had a V6. Guess it all depends on what sound your looking for.
Got mine for $50 the tips alone make the swap worth it. I really like this swap deeper tone without making it too loud and no drone. I commute 75 miles round trip and a louder exhaust can get irritating after awhile.

Added h-pipe on a second GT exhaust to test for awhile was fun at first but started to wear on me during longer trips. Went back to the stock GT exhaust.

SirLoin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Convertible
paying a shop anything at all to piece together a hacked up stock exhaust defeats the purpose of doing this mod. The end result just isn't worth the expense.

I agree 100%. If you search this forum for exhaust setups, you'll find a few cases where people have tried to replicate another member's exhaust, only to end up with vastly different results. You could end up with drone, vibrations, or a completely different sound (if they don't use mandrel bends).

For the price they quoted you on custom fabrication, I'd assume they're not planning to use stainless pipes. Your exhaust will likely be rusting apart within 3 years. A complete GT catback exhaust will be practically maintenance free.

Cut your losses now and find another complete GT catback exhaust. Otherwise, you'll end up spending much more in the long run. You may never sell the resonator, but I'm sure you can eventually find a GT owner looking to re-install stock axlebacks.

Sponsored

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
The gt and v6 share the same resonator. The gt pipes are 2.5" but it necks down to 2.25 at the resnator.

Im pretty happy with my hacked up stock exhaust lol

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I've got a GT catback I'll let go for 50 bucks if someone picks it up in eastern KY. It has 5k miles on it.

SirLoin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Convertible
Im pretty happy with my hacked up stock exhaust lol
Your exhaust is undoubtedly one of the best sounding exhausts on a V6 mustang and I'd love to hear it on a stock catted system. :hail:

You're into heavy customization and will be paying attention to the maintenance required for your non-stainless system, if you haven't already changed it by the time it starts rusting apart. However, I think most people reading this thread are looking for an easy "set it and forget it" upgrade to their otherwise stock V6.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
The swap and forget is exactly what I wanted for a slight improvement. This morning I did my remote start walking to the car and it sounded so nice with that cold start.
Sponsored