Downpipe or No?

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
I've read many of the downpipe threads and still haven't found the answer I'm looking for. Given my current mods in my sig, would I benefit or gain anything from a catted or catless downpipe, especially with my stock turbo and a tune?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang (Black)
I didn't get much from it. Except I was able to go stage 3 from 2. Made my car extremely loud so I'd go and get a resonator like vibrant IMO. Is nice to have however because you know you won't end with stock turbo ;)

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
It made a big Improvement going to stage 3 and I'm using the mishimoto cat down.. it performs great but I'm not happy with the sound because I have a muffler delete.. and at this point I'm probably going to go have to go back to Stage 2.. because my car is lowered and on speed bumps I've been rubbing on the catted downpipe and Afraid gonna put a hole in it... and being that I live in California I'm going to have to go back to stock cat downpipe anyways so pretty much not worth it..

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
The stock down pipe is the choke point. I did cpe's catted downpipe and their FMIC at the same time...major, major jump in hp and torque. A must do mod

MiDiablo

#JustA4Banger
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP 400A 10R80 RTR Spec 5 Widebody
Vehicle Showcase
I love the growl of the catless downpipe, even through the factory exhaust. Gives the car that little bit of turbo whistle that isn't there stock. I'm sure it picked up HP/TQ as well, but couldn't speak specifically to that as I added it at the same time as a IWG and FMIC.

Sponsored

andyxramirez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost oxford white
if you ever go straight pipe all the way. this is what it'll kinda sound like.

Check my setup!!! Skip to 0:24​

[ame]

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
I've read many of the downpipe threads and still haven't found the answer I'm looking for. Given my current mods in my sig, would I benefit or gain anything from a catted or catless downpipe, especially with my stock turbo and a tune?
Ask Livernois, but I would suggest using THEIR down pipe with their tune as they have tested it. While most after market down pipes are similar they are not all exactly the same in how they flow and consequently how the turbo spools up.

According to them it's only worth about 7~12hp and you won't likely pass emissions even on a stock tune. After market catted down pipes mostly get rid of the fuel/exhaust odor, they aren't intended to pass emissions standards. Not sure if you have to worry about that, but I do in my area so it was never an option even with after market tunes. Most of your advantage comes in increased throttle response similar to a CAI, not necessarily peak power.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
The stock down pipe is the choke point. I did cpe's catted downpipe and their FMIC at the same time...major, major jump in hp and torque. A must do mod
This is exactly my current plan. I already have the cp-e DeltaCore FMIC on the car and I am thinking to add their high-flow catted downpipe as well and upgrade my tune.

Did you notice any smoke and fuel smell after installing the downpipe? Did you support the FMIC and the downpipe with a tune?

Also how is the sound after installing the cp-e downpipe? I have the MBRP Race exhausts and I am afraid that even a catted downpipe will make it too loud.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
This is exactly my current plan. I already have the cp-e DeltaCore FMIC on the car and I am thinking to add their high-flow catted downpipe as well and upgrade my tune.

Did you notice any smoke and fuel smell after installing the downpipe? Did you support the FMIC and the downpipe with a tune?

Also how is the sound after installing the cp-e downpipe? I have the MBRP Race exhausts and I am afraid that even a catted downpipe will make it too loud.
No smoke, no smell. Yes, I tuned for DP and FMIC. I still have stock exhaust, so no real sound difference...maybe a tiny bit more turbo whistle.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
How is the quality of the cp-e downpipe? If it's like their intercooler, then it should be great!

Sponsored

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
How is the quality of the cp-e downpipe? If it's like their intercooler, then it should be great!
You will not be disappointed, extra O2 bung, 2 adapters(3" and 3" to 2 1/2) Downpipe is a full 3" where it connects to the turbo and throughout the downpipe. And craftsmanship is second to none.... they charge a premium for a reason, worth every penny.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
Thanks [MENTION=8319]doulos4jc[/MENTION]. Yeah their products are fantastic and of great quality.

I need to research a little bit if the combination of this downpipe with my MBRP Race catback exhausts will be too loud. That's my only concern.

[MENTION=23593][email protected][/MENTION] any ideas about that?

Last edited:

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
You will not be disappointed, extra O2 bung, 2 adapters(3" and 3" to 2 1/2) Downpipe is a full 3" where it connects to the turbo and throughout the downpipe. And craftsmanship is second to none.... they charge a premium for a reason, worth every penny.
Nailed it. I've had the CP-e downpipe for a long time and it still looks as good as it did on Day #1. Like said above, they charge a premium for a reason. I'd always recommend their products because of the craftsmanship, quality, and attention to design.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=8319]doulos4jc[/MENTION] [MENTION=13694]Juben[/MENTION] which cp-e downpipe do you have on your cars? Is this the QKspi one with the high flow cat? This is the one I am interested in.

Has anyone any experience with a catted downpipe combined with the MBRP Race catback exhausts? I am trying to find out if this setup will be too loud. As I said above that's my main concern.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
[MENTION=8319]doulos4jc[/MENTION] [MENTION=13694]Juben[/MENTION] which cp-e downpipe do you have on your cars? Is this the QKspi one with the high flow cat? This is the one I am interested in.

Has anyone any experience with a catted downpipe combined with the MBRP Race catback exhausts? I am trying to find out if this setup will be too loud. As I said above that's my main concern.
Mine has the hi-flow cat. I got the catted version with hopes of passing local emissions testing...which it failed.
Sponsored