Sponsored

Axleback drone

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
I've been toying with the Roush and magnaflow resonated x-pipe. Takes away a bit of the farty sound at the top of the rev range. I think there was a guy in the UK on here that had done that set up and it sounded good in the videos.
Sponsored

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
I've been toying with the Roush and magnaflow resonated x-pipe. Takes away a bit of the farty sound at the top of the rev range. I think there was a guy in the UK on here that had done that set up and it sounded good in the videos.
That's probably @kapiteinlangzaam you're thinking of who's in the NL I believe.

He's tried a few different exhaust combo's, and is partly responsible for why I went with Roush axle backs!

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]NCvBxaPZgLI[/MEDIA]"]

Top_Notch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
I have Roush. They do not drone in general. However, I can induce some drone if I drive slowly and lug the engine (6speed). I believe it has to do with the valve timing at lower wheel speeds and lower engine speed. If I don't lug the engine they never drone.

They are quiet during cruise speeds/RPMs but really roar when you get on the loud pedal. They are also fairly loud at cold start. My only complaint would be that they are not as deep as some others. But they do sound great.

Leeroy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 FJG manual/'65 289 Coupe
That's probably @kapiteinlangzaam you're thinking of who's in the NL I believe.

He's tried a few different exhaust combo's, and is partly responsible for why I went with Roush axle backs!

His videos are the reason I fitted Roush ABs too!:headbang: They are the business - deep burble lower down rising to howl higher up the rev range, no drone. Only negative is noise on start up - a result of 1500rpm idle when cold:eyebulge:

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
yup, thats me.

Have another one (or two) :) :

[ame]

[ame]

The Magnaflow + Roush combo is a real winner in my eyes. And not expensive either.

Sponsored

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
yup, thats me.

Have another one (or two) :) :

The Magnaflow + Roush combo is a real winner in my eyes. And not expensive either.
Great videos, really sounds awesome. What was the reason you added the magnaflow x pipe? Was it to make it louder than with the stock resonator or to change the tone? Curious to know what it sounds like with just the ABs and the stock resonator.

bobpies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang | V8 | Grabber Blue
I've got the Borla S Type Axle backs - or the "touring" system according to their website - except i kept the stock resonator, so it should be quieter than the touring system.

and they are PLENTY loud, for me anyway.

has a nice burble on decelerating with the odd crack now and then if you're lucky.

doesn't have any drone as such, but has a noticeable "tone" to it that can get irritating on long car journeys. Having said that, i never heard the car stock so it might be just as annoying on that setup.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
I've got the Borla S Type Axle backs - or the "touring" system according to their website - except i kept the stock resonator, so it should be quieter than the touring system.

and they are PLENTY loud, for me anyway.

has a nice burble on decelerating with the odd crack now and then if you're lucky.

doesn't have any drone as such, but has a noticeable "tone" to it that can get irritating on long car journeys. Having said that, i never heard the car stock so it might be just as annoying on that setup.
have the same set-up, have not noticed any "tone" on long journeys, and that is with the top down

bobpies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang | V8 | Grabber Blue
have the same set-up, have not noticed any "tone" on long journeys, and that is with the top down
It's less irritable if I keep a window open to be honest. So I guess it's a resonant frequency of sorts.

If you don't mind , Could you take a picture of your tail pipes for me ? To see how far out they are positioned ? I've heard the tone inside can change significantly depending on how far out the pipes are situated ?

Ps the tone is at about 1800 rpm. Or sitting at about 70/80 in 6th.

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
It's less irritable if I keep a window open to be honest. So I guess it's a resonant frequency of sorts.

If you don't mind , Could you take a picture of your tail pipes for me ? To see how far out they are positioned ? I've heard the tone inside can change significantly depending on how far out the pipes are situated ?

can take some more at the weekend, here are a few

Sponsored
OP
OP

jason.roberts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
You're right Stevie, the video doesn't do the Chinook justice.
Getting mine fitted tomorrow m8.
Just test drive a gt with cat back Chinook just fitted - sounded superb but huge amounts of drone at 65/70 mph, almost undrivable i thought my head was going to explode. The car dealer said the same. Is this the same for you guys with it fitted or was it a one off?

KevD

0-60 Instructor Team DS.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
bob
Vehicle(s)
balls
Just test drive a gt with cat back Chinook just fitted - sounded superb but huge amounts of drone at 65/70 mph, almost undrivable i thought my head was going to explode. The car dealer said the same. Is this the same for you guys with it fitted or was it a one off?
I have an auto and around 2000RPM, which is around 65MPH in 6th i think>? and i have no drone. Snow/Wet mode does come over louder around that RPM and sport+ mode is less loud for some reason. Its a fun exhaust to run around in.

Maybe best to ask the Dream Science guys and how [MENTION=27801]nixopaxo[/MENTION] is getting on with his too.

Last edited:
OP
OP

jason.roberts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I have an auto and around 2000RPM, which is around 65MPH in 6th i think>? and i have no drone. Snow/Wet mode does come over louder around that RPM and sport+ mode is less loud for some reason. Its a fun exhaust to run around in.

Maybe best to ask the Dream Science guys and how [MENTION=27801]nixopaxo[/MENTION] is getting on with his too.
Must be some type of setup problem. I have read that you can reduce drone by changing how far the tail pipes stick out. This car was horrendous, maybe some type of resonate frequency as it was almost unbearable at 2000ish RPM. :headbonk:

KevD

0-60 Instructor Team DS.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
bob
Vehicle(s)
balls
Must be some type of setup problem. I have read that you can reduce drone by changing how far the tail pipes stick out. This car was horrendous, maybe some type of resonate frequency as it was almost unbearable at 2000ish RPM. :headbonk:
i find it is at its most cabin noise around 1500-1700RPM.

anything over that and its not that loud at all.
Sponsored