Sponsored

Jacking plates/rails

sr1200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Vert
All,
I plan to have all-weather or winter tires for my GT... I see there are several products such as the jackpads seen here https://zl1addons.com/collections/jackpads-magpads and rails by Steeda. Are these necessary for at-home DIY garage maintenance and activities such as changing wheels/tires? We can't just jack like in the old days? :shrug:

Maybe I'm a Neanderthal so help me understand why I need these, or are they just more bling for the garage "for the man who has everything..."

Thanks
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I have the Steeda jacking rails, and they're just easier. The only good place to jack the car up is the pinch welds, or the subframe bolt location, and the jacking rails give you a really nice platform on which to support the car, but you need to have a low profile jack to get under them, even at stock height. If you're not going to get jacking rails, at least get the jackpads, or your pinch welds are going to look like straight garbage the first time you jack up the car.

JR

Thundersteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
Jacking rails allow you to place the jack and/or jack stands almost anywhere between the wheels, instead of just the pinch welds. I've got the J&M ones, and they make maintenance a lot easier!

OP
OP

sr1200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Vert
So, I guess if I did the rail I could put the jack in the center like in NASCAR and change two tires with one jack? Neat!

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
So, I guess if I did the rail I could put the jack in the center like in NASCAR and change two tires with one jack? Neat!
That is correct! The chassis is pretty stiff, and you'll have no problem getting both tires in the air. Of course, if you're changing side to side, you're going to need jack stands.

JR

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
They are great choice & we have had many customers happy with their decision.

Happy to help with an order, shoot me your contact info & we'll go from there!

[email protected]

Best Regards,

TJ

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Whose ever jacking rails you get just get them. They make getting the car up in the air so much easier.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Don't settle for pieces with small amounts of jacking surface.

That is my recommendation. Go with a brand that has the jacking surface of atleast the full length of the factory bolts. I have people swap to ours very often and that is there reasoning when I ask them.

Here is the BMR CJR002 style that I use on mine. They come out to about $122 shipped with the code FS6KA ;)

Good luck!
CJR2 1.jpg
CJR2 2.jpg
CJR2 3.jpg

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Definitely recommend jacking rails. I use ramps with a block of wood for simple things like oil changes. But changing tires, jacking rails is the easiest way to get it done and get it done safely!

Low profile jack is just as important. I have two harbor freight jacks. One for the Jeep, one for the Mustang. Both are inexpensive jacks. They have lasted many years and have seen some heavy work including supporting a Jeep for 3 days straight(not recommended).

rr17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2017 GTPP
Don't settle for pieces with small amounts of jacking surface.

That is my recommendation. Go with a brand that has the jacking surface of atleast the full length of the factory bolts. I have people swap to ours very often and that is there reasoning when I ask them.

Here is the BMR CJR002 style that I use on mine. They come out to about $122 shipped with the code FS6KA ;)

Good luck!
How much do the BMR CJR002 weigh?

Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
All,
I plan to have all-weather or winter tires for my GT... I see there are several products such as the jackpads seen here https://zl1addons.com/collections/jackpads-magpads and rails by Steeda. Are these necessary for at-home DIY garage maintenance and activities such as changing wheels/tires? We can't just jack like in the old days? :shrug:

Maybe I'm a Neanderthal so help me understand why I need these, or are they just more bling for the garage "for the man who has everything..."

Thanks

Well - because as you see below - they've been talked into it.

First - pinch weld runs along the entire length of the car. There are cutouts in the plastic "skirts" for the jack / jackstand to be put in. Those locations are there for the car to be properly balanced once jacked on all 4 points.

Second - claim that you're going to bend pinch welds by jacking your car there is complete nonsense - this is what _manufacturer_ recommends. Me and many people jacked the car up by bare pinch welds and they're fine.

Only advantage of the rails is that they make it more convenient to put jack stands in - which I have done again on bare pinch welds many times.

I jack my car up all the time - literally every weekend for wheel changes for autocross - way more than average mustang owner - and see absolutely no reason to add weight to my car by installing rails.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Well - because as you see below - they've been talked into it.

First - pinch weld runs along the entire length of the car. There are cutouts in the plastic "skirts" for the jack / jackstand to be put in. Those locations are there for the car to be properly balanced once jacked on all 4 points.

Second - claim that you're going to bend pinch welds by jacking your car there is complete nonsense - this is what _manufacturer_ recommends. Me and many people jacked the car up by bare pinch welds and they're fine.

Only advantage of the rails is that they make it more convenient to put jack stands in - which I have done again on bare pinch welds many times.

I jack my car up all the time - literally every weekend for wheel changes for autocross - way more than average mustang owner - and see absolutely no reason to add weight to my car by installing rails.
Then you'd be a prime candidate for them if your changing your wheels every weekend.

jc1804

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 50th Race red
I have the BMR (first gen non-low profile). they have another benefit that I hope you never encounter. leaving an ATM there was w big drop (hole) car hammered on jacking rail thought i was going to have some bad damage, but just scratched the jack rail.
So i'm real glad i dont have the low profile but glad as hell i have them.
Sponsored