Sponsored

cracking noise jacking car up using steeda rails

past15krpm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lighting Blue GT350
I have never jacked up a s550 so dont know if this is normal noise when jacking up a mustang. I installed the rails a while ago when I first got the car and finally got around to using them today for a oil change. When I went to go jack up the passenger side of the car I got a noise which did not seem right so I stopped and tried to see if anyone else had the same issue. With no luck searching I am now here trying to see if anyone else ran into this issue.

Here is a video of the noise.

[ame]
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Mine make some noise as well, but they aren't loose or moving around noticeably. I assume there's some dirt in the gaps between the rails and the body of the car and when you jack up the car the rail moves a little bit.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
You sure the noise isn't coming from your jack?

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Sounds like the springs dropping from losing the load on them.

OP
OP

past15krpm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lighting Blue GT350
You sure the noise isn't coming from your jack?
Thats the first thing I checked for, and noise seems to be coming from car. Dont know its from rails or the springs in the car.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe it's just the Steeda rails. My BMR's clunk with authority.

[ame]

:)

Hogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
How often are you guys jacking up the car than you can't just use the frame rails and rear jacking point? These seem a bit frivolous.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine is up in the air often. The "frame rails" aren't recommended to jack from nor is the tail of the K-member. The jacking rails are light (unless you prefer heavier units which are available too) and as low as you can be in terms of center of gravity.

OP
OP

past15krpm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lighting Blue GT350
How often are you guys jacking up the car than you can't just use the frame rails and rear jacking point? These seem a bit frivolous.
This would be my first time jacking up a s550. I never got noise jacking up any other car I ever owned using the same jack. The noise concerned me so I didn't fully jack up the car thinking I would cause damage if the jack slips.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My car has spent literally months on jack stands, but then I'm not the fastest at getting work done and I typically only have a few hours on the weekends to do that work. When I bought them I also knew I was going to do a transmission swap and add a rear diff cooler to the car. I like to do my own work when it makes sense and I've had poor luck with my local dealer, so maintenance and consumable replacement will mostly be done by me as well.

Suffice it to say, they were a good investment for me is my opinion.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Noise

This would be my first time jacking up a s550. I never got noise jacking up any other car I ever owned using the same jack. The noise concerned me so I didn't fully jack up the car thinking I would cause damage if the jack slips.
You cannt isolate the source of the noise, jacking rail, front suspension, rear supension?
Did you install the jacking rails?
Have you checked that the jacking rail bolts are tight, all four of them?
Can you try the jack on another car?

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
If you did not cut away the body filler at the mount points, that goo will move when loaded. It could be the slight movement causing your noise. If everything is tight, and you are jacking correctly, you have no worry. :cheers:
Sponsored