Sponsored

Help identifying annoying sound

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
So I noticed recently that I started driving with my windows down (summer is over), an interesting noise. Only when taking a right hand turn in a sporty fashion I get this 'flip-flip' sound (like a pice of paper or tinfoil is hit with something at a certain frequency. The frequency changes with speed (take the corner faster and the 'flip-flip' sound frequency goes higher). The frequency seems to match wheel rotation (if the wheel would hit something once per revolution).
My theory is that something like the axles, or driveshaft has a piece of paper on them or something along those lines.
I will put my car up on ramps this weekend and look but I was wondering if I were on the right track or has anybody else seen this or has ideas what to look for.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
My theory is that something like the axles, or driveshaft has a piece of paper on them or something along those lines.
I will put my car up on ramps this weekend and look but I was wondering if I were on the right track or has anybody else seen this or has ideas what to look for.

Thanks!
Sounds like you're on the right path

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Annoying sound???
[ame]

Apologies but Icouldn’t pass up the opportunity....

Good Luck, hope you find out the cause and that it’s an easy fix and if not, it’s covered under warranty:cheers:

Last edited:
OP
OP

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Annoying sound???

Good Luck, hope you find out the cause and that it’s an easy fix and it not, it’s covered under warranty:cheers:
Warranty technically should cover this I agree - but I do not see myself going to the dealer and tell them to take fast right hand corners and diagnose. That is a waiver to abuse the car while 'diagnosing' (and yes they have done worse with less reason).

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I sometimes notice a similar noise and assumed it was the floating brake discs. There's a certain road where I always here it as I'm going around a turn that has curbing. I figured it's easier to hear as the wheels/brakes are near the curb and the noise is bouncing off. I've heard it on both my 2016 and 2017 and assume it is normal.

Sponsored

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I sometimes notice a similar noise and assumed it was the floating brake discs. There's a certain road where I always here it as I'm going around a turn that has curbing. I figured it's easier to hear as the wheels/brakes are near the curb and the noise is bouncing off. I've heard it on both my 2016 and 2017 and assume it is normal.
I think a brake pad(s) is a good possibility. You may have some glaze on a pad contributing to it. If it really bugs you, you could try pulling the pads and sanding them before re-installing.

OP
OP

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
I think a brake pad(s) is a good possibility. You may have some glaze on a pad contributing to it. If it really bugs you, you could try pulling the pads and sanding them before re-installing.
Pads could make noise similar to what I have but I just do not think in my case it pads because of the nature of the noise (mine is more like flip as it a piece of paper hitting a solid object - brakes should be more like grinding, scratchy noise).

I just do not know to be honest. I will check my pads as well.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I am pretty sure this is just the pads catching the holes in the rotors and making noise. There's a tiny bit of hub flex and it's enough for the rotor to push against the pads. I had the same noises on my BRZ with the AP Racing BBK (has tiny slots).

Reactions: TDC
OP
OP

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Car is on ramps and I checked a bunch of things. I could not find anything obviously wrong. I am starting to agree that It must something with the pads, rotors, brake shields maybe.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I am pretty sure this is just the pads catching the holes in the rotors and making noise. There's a tiny bit of hub flex and it's enough for the rotor to push against the pads. I had the same noises on my BRZ with the AP Racing BBK (has tiny slots).
^ This.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Rotors are never true straight. There is always some tolerances. It's the rotor slightly rubbing the pads. Normal but can be annoying somtimes.

Reactions: TDC

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Just started hearing this for the first time tonight though it makes the sound when driving straight. Recently had my front pads replaced and back from a weekend track event. I don't see anything under the car to make the flap sound.

Never heard this before after nearly 2 years of ownership.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Just started hearing this for the first time tonight though it makes the sound when driving straight. Recently had my front pads replaced and back from a weekend track event. I don't see anything under the car to make the flap sound.

Never heard this before after nearly 2 years of ownership.
That's interesting. I notice it much more after doing an autocross... It made no noise today and I've just been commuting back and forth with no autocross since October 1st.
Sponsored