Sponsored

Problems matching Competition Orange

CDM77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT350 Tech Pack, 2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
This is my first post here and am looking for some advise. I have a 2015 GT PP Competition Orange Base model. I recently picked up a premium bumper and had it painted by a shop that I used many times in the past. After installing I noticed the paint did not match. It was much darker. He tried again, same result. He is using Axalta and going by what the computer says for that particular code. Looking straight on it looks ok, but move off to the side and it turns to a muddly orange color. I took it to another shop and they agree that the color is off and the paint flips as you move. Of course they would like to repaint it, but want 4 times as much so they can custom match the paint. Has anyone with a CO mustang ever experienced any problems getting parts painted to match?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

OP
OP

CDM77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't believe he has anything to actually read and match the color. He said that he just uses the mix that the computer tells him to and this is the best he can do. He matched the yellow on my wifes 2015 mustang with no problem and the red and black on my previous stangs. I'm not sure why this one is such a problem.

The expensive shop had a camera that could tell you the exact formula to use, but hey want over a grand to prep and repaint the bumper. This is with me removing it for them.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Same luck with DIB. I have a whole panel that is slightly different. And now I have to repaint and blend at a $1,600 price tag if I want it fixed. Given how my paint is just chipping off seemingly on it's own and how close it is, I almost don't care anymore. Only I notice it, unless I point it out, so that's nice. Of course it's on the driver's side...

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
ask the body shop if his paint supplier has the equipment to read the actual color off the car.

Sponsored

OP
OP

CDM77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will contact him tonight to see if he can get anything to read the color of the paint. I don't have much hope as it is a really small shop. I'm just amazed that he let it leave the shop looking like it does. I didn't notice the color shift since it was overcast and rainy, but noticed the next day in the bright sunlight. Everything he has painted for me in the past has been perfect.

I first thought I was being really picky, but a perfect stranger stopped over to talk to me as I was getting a quote at another body shop and said "your bumper doesn't match the rest of the car". This was on a clear day so you could see the color shift from the correct orange to a muddy orange/brown as you walked around the car. Where he was standing it looked horrible.

OP
OP

CDM77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is what they pulled out to check the paint when I got the $1000 quote from the other body shop. They couldn't guarantee that the color would match, and would require an additional hour of labor and supplies to spray out test panels. So they have 8 hours of labor + paint. That is with me removing the bumper for them.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Looking straight on it looks ok, but move off to the side and it turns to a muddly orange color.
I didn't think that was possible with a non-metalic (non-anything else) color. Isn't CO a non-metalic, non pearl?

I had a Cadillac dealer repaint a 2011 Grabber Blue bumper that the sun killed after 5 years. They charged $300 and it was perfect. I took the bumper off and removed the grill, etc. but they prepped it, repainted and re-installed for that amount. Non metalics like CO, GB Race Red, OW should be easy to match since they don't contain particles that can take various alignments.

Someone mentioned blending. There SHOULD never be blending done with bumpers because you don't use the same paint on hard parts (sheet metal, etc) and soft parts (bumper covers, etc). The paint for those have flex agents added to them. I know your problem is a very bad match, but there is never an exact match between bumper covers and the surrounding sheet metal because of the different paint and the fact that they are done at different times at the factory. It can match well enough to fool most people but it won't match exactly.

MELLOWYELLOW06

MELLOW 2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
It may never be 100% as the original spray that was done when the car was completely shot at once at the factory.

A reputable shop can get it close but the best way is to have the neighboring panels blended so it looks like one job.
Sponsored