Interesting addition in trunk to carry a rifle

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
I picked up a pickup rack that holds a rifle and modified it to go into the roof area of the trunk of my 2015 Mustang.
Works extremely well.
Just barely clears the rear deck lid speakers and sits high enough that you have to put your head down low and look to see it.

A couple of pictures are attached.
The first is a picture from eye level as you open the trunk with the rifle well hidden.
The second shows the view from the base of the rear deck and you can see the rifle.

The rifle doesn't rattle or move around because two strips of Velcro are holding it into place. Real easy to access. Rip back the two Velcro strips and pull it out (unloaded, of course). Dig a magazine out of the duffle bag and you are good to go. Please ignore the beat up look of the AR cause it has gone thru a bunch of training with me and I can assure you it will get the job done.

Only down side I can see is if the car gets rear ended.

I added a few more pictures.
Hopefully the pictures give a quick overview to show the installation method.
The pictures with the rifle and rack removed show how I mount the AR onto the rack and how the two pinchers mount onto the crossbar.
My stock is collapsed all the way so it will fit properly. If you have a standard non-collapsible AR style stock, it might not fit the way I have things set up. One good thing about the way I am set up is that even if there is a scope mounted on the AR, it should clear the rear deck and speaker magnets.
One of the modifications I did to the mounting kit was to cut off the larger diameter square bar to about 27" lg. You can see from the pictures that overall width is a problem at the area I mounted the hardware. The smaller square tubing slides inside the larger tubing and allows for a whole bunch of length adjustment.
The other modification to the kit was due to only one of the pinchers having a Velcro tie-down. I went to Wal-Mart and got more Velcro and attached it to the other pincher so that both pinchers hold the AR tightly without worry of rattling or something falling loose while going down the road.
Something else I did was to add a bit of padding to the tubing and cover it with duct tape where the hand grip lays against the cross bar. It is just to keep the rifle from rattling when you hit a bump.
Trunk3.jpg
Trunk4.jpg
image1.jpg
image2.jpg
image3.jpg
image4.jpg
image5.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
don't let hilary see that!

OP
OP

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
don't let hilary see that!
That is funny.
I actually have a good story about Hillary.

Back when Bill was president a friend of mine was often part of his security detail. We got drunk one night and he told me that EVERYBODY hates Hillary, including Bill. Being on her security detail is considered punishment. We were pretty drunk so take the story for what it is worth.

Last edited:

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I picked up a pickup rack that holds a rifle and modified it to go into the roof area of the trunk of my 2015 Mustang.
Works extremely well.
Just barely clears the rear deck lid speakers and sits high enough that you have to put your head down low and look to see it.

The first is a picture from eye level as you open the trunk with the rifle well hidden.
The second shows the view from the base of the rear deck and you can see the rifle.

The rifle doesn't rattle or move around because two strips of Velcro are holding it into place. Real easy to access. Rip back the two Velcro strips and pull it out (unloaded, of course). Dig a magazine out of the duffle bag and you are good to go.

Looks like plenty of room for my 10.5" with AAC can. :D

Unloaded?? Blasphemy!! Lol
State law...weird for these parts.

Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
I'm almost 100% certain it is in place solely to help curb drive by poaching.

We can hunt with supressors, open carry, and generally act 'Merican round here.

Sponsored

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
Works extremely well.

The rifle doesn't rattle or move around because two strips of Velcro are holding it into place. Real easy to access. Rip back the two Velcro strips and pull it out (unloaded, of course). Dig a magazine out of the duffle bag and you are good to go.

As an Australian, I will call this the freedom shelf accessory

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
That is funny.
I actually have a good story about Hillary.

Back when Bill was president a friend of mine was often part of his security detail. We got drunk one night and he told me that EVERYBODY hates Hillary, including Bill. Being on her security detail is considered punishment. We were pretty drunk so take the story for what it is worth.
I heard from someone on the WH kitchen staff during that time that Tipper Gore was way worse than Hillary ... But yeah, I believe that story about Hillary, too.

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
So much win here lol. Looks like the same rack they make to go under your roof of a Jeep.
Sponsored