Sponsored

Ford Names New CEO, Jim Hackett, in Big Leadership Shakeup

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
100% agree on Fields being more of a follower than a leader...

the guy was born and bred in the Ford Glass house culture of 70s/80s/90s ... according to the book he almost didn't want to mention issues with the first Ford Edge design until Mullally made it 'ok' to speak up. I can see a marked change once he was out and Fields was in, sometimes they pick them as if they are simply 'next in line' ...

but what do i Know, i only buy the products.
Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I see autonomus cars as being a fad unless the government mandates them.
I see it as a slow evolution. My main concern with autonomus cars is who I liable for the car accident? How does the car decide hitting the car in front or the car to the side?

If my autonomus car kills someone avoiding a collision, can I be charged with a crime?

Right now the autonomus car is the exception, so I believe liability will be on the driver that uses it. However, in the future when an autonomus mode is required in all new cars, will a driver have a higher liability for not using it?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The only way autonomous cars will start becoming a norm versus a small minority is when there are a few key things:
1. Dedicated roadways for only autonomous vehicles
2. Vehicle to infrastructure communication
3. Vehicle to vehicle communication

Only with all those can you get the real benefits. Without them, you have all sorts of liabilities and compromises still present. I for one will be very happy when the majority commuting to work will do so autonomously. The overwhelming majority of people don't care about driving. Let them go do that while those of us who do enjoy it keep enjoying the drive.

Sponsored

StangFever2846

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1
Good maybe now someone will take the finger out of their arse and build a rear wheel drive competitor to Cadillac's sedans. Maybe something built on the mustang chassis on the Lincoln nameplate.

Oh and maybe now they'll hurry up and start putting out the mustang special editions. :paddle:

The fact that Fields' replacement comes from mobility does not bode well though. We'll see...

RNMAAS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible CS
This move is all about the low share price and the future teslazation of Ford. First we'll see more EVs and and then all electrics. It will be interesting to see how long it will take for an all electric Mustang.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Maybe new guy isn't going to play with only a 20hp bump to 455 nonsense with a new from the crank up engine.

ford20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE On Order / 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
I see autonomus cars as being a fad unless the government mandates them.
Not a chance IMO. I mean there are some hurdles that they have to overcome, but I doubt it will be a fad. Millennials see getting their first cell phones as a bigger life event then getting their drivers license and their first cars. As such they are all about integrating technology into their everyday lives and if they could just sit in a car and have it go from point to point without doing anything but entering a destination then I think they are happy with that. As is we are already getting self-driving features put into cars more and more ie. cruise control with self-correcting distances, park assist, trailer back up etc. so I don't think that this will be a fad at all.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Maybe new guy isn't going to play with only a 20hp bump to 455 nonsense with a new from the crank up engine.
I'd be willing to bet that this is way down the list of priorities, if it makes any type of list at all.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Watching the price of Ford shares it seems investors aren't thrilled with the change.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
My main concern with autonomus cars is who is liable for the car accident? How does the car decide hitting the car in front or the car to the side?
1467643530-20160704.png

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
The only way autonomous cars will start becoming a norm versus a small minority is when there are a few key things:
1. Dedicated roadways for only autonomous vehicles
2. Vehicle to infrastructure communication
3. Vehicle to vehicle communication

Only with all those can you get the real benefits. Without them, you have all sorts of liabilities and compromises still present. I for one will be very happy when the majority commuting to work will do so autonomously. The overwhelming majority of people don't care about driving. Let them go do that while those of us who do enjoy it keep enjoying the drive.
I respectfully disagree. A few years ago I would have wholly agreed with each of these points. However, the current goals of most if not all of the major players in autonomous car development seems to be making them work (on their own) within our own existing human-centered infrastructure. And although there is still a long ways to go (especially with regards to driving in poor weather and visibility), I am quite frankly amazed at the progress that has been made in such a short time.

Regardless of whether the cars are able to successfully and safely navigate on their own without outside communication, I do agree that points 2 and 3 are very helpful goals that should be worked toward. At some point I believe we'll need to see some serious standardization on communication protocols, through government mandates, gentlemen's agreements or possibly just attrition & common sense.
Sponsored