Sponsored

Ford oil catch cans

Etchhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
I see that passenger CCs are filling, but is the driver can needed as well?
Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I see that passenger CCs are filling, but is the driver can needed as well?
No. The driver's side catch can is a waste of money for anything but all out racing. If a car gets oil in the driver's side CC, you have a serious engine problem caused by massive blow by. The few people I know with driver's side cans have never seen anything in them, which is good.

Stoked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus RS/2016 GT350/2002 Audi A4
Question about the passenger side can...

The flexible tube that goes from the can to the engine seems to be too large, and when connected to both sides, kinks up. There is no way to avoid this. Do I have a defective hose or this this normal and the kink poses no issue?

Images attached...

[Edit] nvm! Looks like this was covered...Going to try reversing!

Well...My hose kinks no matter which way I arrange it...I guess it is what it is...Hopefully this doesn't become an issue...

Last edited:

VooDoo387R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R & 2020 GT500
Just ordered both driver and passenger side Ford catch cans for the R. Looks like a solid investment.

Sponsored

TexanZSG21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
Hate to be an old thread bumper but just wanted to give input on installing the FP passenger side oil separator. Piece of cake to install and definitely recommend flipping the flexible hose so that the 90* flexible side is connected to the separator and the 45* hard side is connected to the motor. Took the car for a short 6-7 mile drive prior to flipping the hose and decided to peek in it afterwards and there was already a sheen of oil in the line.

Wetarded Goat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2018 LB GT350 - J0238
Hate to be an old thread bumper but just wanted to give input on installing the FP passenger side oil separator. Piece of cake to install and definitely recommend flipping the flexible hose so that the 90* flexible side is connected to the separator and the 45* hard side is connected to the motor. Took the car for a short 6-7 mile drive prior to flipping the hose and decided to peek in it afterwards and there was already a sheen of oil in the line.
^Ditto. I tried to make it picture-perfect against the Ford instructions, but that hose was not having it. Just put my passenger side on last night.

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
Emptied my Ford passenger side after 6,000 kilometers. Collected about 3 ounces of oil. Worthwhile investment

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I was cleaning my passenger side FP air-oil separator and (not thinking) pried off the mesh screen/filter on the top (intake) side of the can to sop up the oil on the screen and clean the film off of the inside of the top. After doing so I realized that I could have contaminated that area with small specs of sand, fibers from the shop towel, etc. and it would have been sucked straight into the manifold. Should I be concerned about any damage to the motor? Anyone else make the same mistake? Or am I just being paranoid?

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I was cleaning my passenger side FP air-oil separator and (not thinking) pried off the mesh screen/filter on the top (intake) side of the can to sop up the oil on the screen and clean the film off of the inside of the top. After doing so I realized that I could have contaminated that area with small specs of sand, fibers from the shop towel, etc. and it would have been sucked straight into the manifold. Should I be concerned about any damage to the motor? Anyone else make the same mistake? Or am I just being paranoid?
Just blow the screen off with compressed air or wash it with some warm water and try it.

Why did you have sand on your shop towel?

Sponsored

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Just blow the screen off with compressed air or wash it with some warm water and try it.

Why did you have sand on your shop towel?
I don't have an air compressor so I just blew it out as best I could and wiped it as thoroughly as possible. I'm more concerned about things that I couldn't/didn't see. As far as I know, the shop towel was clean. Just wondering if (worse case scenario) some sand, fibers, etc. that I didn't see got through, would that cause any harm to the motor?

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I don't have an air compressor so I just blew it out as best I could and wiped it as thoroughly as possible. I'm more concerned about things that I couldn't/didn't see. As far as I know, the shop towel was clean. Just wondering if (worse case scenario) some sand, fibers, etc. that I didn't see got through, would that cause any harm to the motor?
If you can't see it then you likely have 0 to worry about.

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

NHman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I installed JLT's oil catch can on the passenger. New car with, at the time, 112 miles on the odometer. After 100 miles of driving, the bottom of the can was completely coated with oil. Wow.

Post break-in, I plan on taking it to the track. Hopefully get 4-6 sessions in during the season. I'm now considering the drivers side as well.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
I went with an FP passenger side separator only. I chose FP for the OEM look. The ease of emptying does not match the other brands, but FP's IMO look better. After 2400 miles of street driving I had 3/8" of oil at the bottom. 1 shop cloth and less than 10 minutes was enough to clean it out. I am a bit curious as to how much volume 3/8" equals. Regardless, it is an insignificant amount.
Sponsored