Evaporator went out

bluefirestarter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue Mustang GT PP1 401a
Mine went on me last week.. Was smelling this funky smell from the vents for a few weeks. I thought it was the cabin filter so I swapped that out and it was the same. 2 days later it started blowing hot on the driver side and cold on the passenger. Took it in with 35.5k on the odometer and now it's sched to go in next Thursday for the evap core swap. Told me it will take 2 days. Central Florida area
Sponsored

SWLA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have to bring mine in when I get back from vacation, hot on driver side and coolish on passenger with a funky smell. Only 6.4k miles on the clock.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I'm getting a little worried about all these stories. I've had the "rushing water" sound for the past few days. Accompanied with that sound, I've also had a bad smell off and on for a few days. The smell is awful.

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
Mine diesdtwice. I'm at 35k and wondering about a warranty. I wonder if we can get Ford to do something about it.

sktrstangs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
A/C Evaporator gone out

I have been experiencing the A/C blowing cold on the passenger side but warm on the driver side over the past week. So I took it into the dealership this week and was told the evaporator core casing has a leak and will need to be replaced. This is a very common thing going out with the 2015 and newer Mustangs during summer. The car will be in the shop for a week to get this unit replaced and the dash will have to be removed to get this fixed. My mileage is just over 12k.

The good news is all this is covered under the base warranty for my 2016 GT/CS and the loaner included. So I am driving around in a 2017 Focus base model till my car is fixed next week. I have the premium coverage plan covers my rental car. No out of pocket expense to me which I am like.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
So it's confirmed that blowing warm from drivers side and cold from passenger side is the evap core??

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Yeap...

OrangCrush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Auto 3.55 - X pipe,Roush axleback
What years is this affecting?

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
AC went out today and I'm assuming it's the evaporator, as the passenger side vents are blowing a little cooler than than the driver's side, but not by much.

Anyway, 35,839 miles so I'm just sliding in under the factory warranty mileage limit. But I bought the extended warranty so it would be covered anyway.

This is the first issue I've had with my 2015.

I guess the Central Texas heat finally killed this weak link in the AC system.

Renee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Reading all of this makes me feel a little better. Took my car to the dealership 3 weeks ago after driver side was blowing hot air & passenger side was kind of cool. They only recharged the Freon & said there may be a possible leak (they never looked for it though). This week I contacted another dealership b/c heat began to flow again from all vents (guess the Freon was all gone). They were familiar with this issue, I took my car to them & they also recharged the Freon until the evaporator core comes in to be replaced. I have a serious issue with this...my car is only 15 months old w/ 12045 miles on it. Taking out the entire dash just scares me, esp. since I've seen pictures & and watched videos of this procedure. All I want is cold air flowing from my vents everyday & my car to not be on the waiting list for surgery. Oh and when will Ford actually place this defect on the recall list, clearly there's a problem...

Sponsored

Wilson44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Avalanche Gray
Mine went out last week as well (evaporator). 2016 w/12,000 miles. Supposed to pick it up tomorrow, hopefully fixed for good.

sktrstangs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Taking to the dealership for replacement of the A/C leak is your best decision. Since the coolant has not lasted longer than 3 weeks then I suspect it is the Evaporator core casing has a leak like the rest of us have experienced. I have 12k on my car and 16 mos when I had this problem too. I am so glad that I had the replacement done and enjoying the cold air once again. This is covered under your 3yr/36k warranty, so let them fix it.

xdeviousdavex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT with Performance Package
Replaced evaporator twice and went bad a 3rd time

I bought my 2015 Mustang in August of 2015. In June 2016, the evaporator had to be replaced at 10 months and 9k miles. Just last week, the evaporator went out again at 17,500 and 23 months. I had it replaced with part ending in the letter Y. After receiving the car yesterday, the A/C was nice and cold, but today the A/C is blowing hot air again out of all vents.

First time it was replaced at Tommie Vaughn in Houston and second time was McHaik. I am about to take the car back this afternoon, but has anyone had similar issues of replacing evaporator twice already and still having issues? I might end up getting rid of the car because I don't want to pay $$$ when warranty goes out.:frusty:

good_dog_1000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Convertible
Hi, I'm new to the forum and thought I'd share.. My 2016 GT convertible is blowing warm air (or hot air, depending on the time of day).. it has 17k miles (bought it used with 15k miles). I had a tough time getting it to the dealer, my appointment was rescheduled three times, guess it's the time of year or something. Anyway finally dropped it off this morning, got a call this afternoon, it's the evaporator (as suspected). Part number ends in "Y", not sure if that's an improved part or not. Anyway, they gave me a brand new Explorer as a loaner and said my car should be done next week.

Thinking about buying an extended warranty now just in case... FWIW, I had a '97 Cobra, drove it hard, swapped motor twice - never touched the A/C system and it blew ice cold.

89Trooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hi, I'm new to the forum and thought I'd share.. My 2016 GT convertible is blowing warm air (or hot air, depending on the time of day).. it has 17k miles (bought it used with 15k miles). I had a tough time getting it to the dealer, my appointment was rescheduled three times, guess it's the time of year or something. Anyway finally dropped it off this morning, got a call this afternoon, it's the evaporator (as suspected). Part number ends in "Y", not sure if that's an improved part or not. Anyway, they gave me a brand new Explorer as a loaner and said my car should be done next week.

Thinking about buying an extended warranty now just in case... FWIW, I had a '97 Cobra, drove it hard, swapped motor twice - never touched the A/C system and it blew ice cold.
Yes, for now, Y is the latest. At least for the GT. There may be different letters for other models.
Sponsored