Sponsored

Cracked second windshield today

Ingotboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
It’s so aggravating/depressing/costly. I’m actually considering trading it in. It’s only been 3 years and I’m on 6 windshields.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My windshield got hit by a rock last summer and got cracked I got the crack filled. You can still see the crack but it hasn't propogated yet. I've probably put about 10,000 miles on the car since I got the crack.

I think our windshields are low and the nose of the car is low, so they get hit by rocks more often than many other cars. I've owned many Fox Mustangs and I bet 3 or 4 of them had broken windshields when I bought them. I always thought it was the price for having a sporty car.

What kind of cars have you guys owned before that never got cracked windshields? Are you following people more closely with the Mustang than you did with your other cars?

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
My windshield got hit by a rock last summer and got cracked I got the crack filled. You can still see the crack but it hasn't propogated yet. I've probably put about 10,000 miles on the car since I got the crack.

I think our windshields are low and the nose of the car is low, so they get hit by rocks more often than many other cars. I've owned many Fox Mustangs and I bet 3 or 4 of them had broken windshields when I bought them. I always thought it was the price for having a sporty car.

What kind of cars have you guys owned before that never got cracked windshields? Are you following people more closely with the Mustang than you did with your other cars?
I think I'm the only person on the planet that doesn't ride on people's asses. :D

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP

Cowl height is definitely not it.
2015-Ford-Mustang-and-1967-.jpg

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Cowl height is definitely not it.
2015-Ford-Mustang-and-1967-.jpg
Tell me why my 1999 Super Duty rarely gets a rock to the windshield. :cheers:

Nice customized '67.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153

Has anyone had a car that didn't get a crack in the windshield? My Durango got a crack within a few months of new. New windshields in general are thinner and more prone to cracking.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I think I'm the only person on the planet that doesn't ride on people's asses. :D
No - you are 1 or 2. :) I go to extremes to avoid rock pecks in paint and windshields. I stay off interstates (which are 75% through truck traffic here), stay many car lengths behind the car in front, nearly drive off on the shoulder passing traffic, will turn off a road if I see a dump truck ahead of me, minimize driving in winter if they have been treating roads, etc, etc. Haven't had a bullseye in probably 30 years and never replaced a windshield (I'm 66). Put 20,000 miles on my 12 GT and except for one tiny stone peck when I bought it - sold it in exactly the same condition. My wife occasionally gets some rock pecks but I've even trained her to avoid trucks and following on people's tails.

But this is just me - not that I would advocate this for anyone else. At my age if I don't want to risk going somewhere or go to work - I just don't. It's your car - if willing to accept some wear and tear then drive it like you want to use it and enjoy it.

I've probably jinxed myself now and will get a broken windshield this week.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Has anyone had a car that didn't get a crack in the windshield? My Durango got a crack within a few months of new. New windshields in general are thinner and more prone to cracking.
I do agree with those that say that the glass in modern cars isn't as good. My wife's 2013 Escape has quite a few scratches in the glass from a gas station windshield washer.

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Tell me why my 1999 Super Duty rarely gets a rock to the windshield. :cheers:
For the exact reason the taller cowl on the '15 is NOT the reason the '15 gets more stone chips than the '67. :cheers:

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
For the exact reason the taller cowl on the '15 is NOT the reason the '15 gets more stone chips than the '67. :cheers:
My '70 doesn't get any rock chips, but it also doesn't get daily driven. If you drive your '67 more than the GT350, then :cheers:

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
I have never had a windshield damaged and I'm 65 years old. My wife had one back around 1999 and it was a bullseye chip that I tried to repair. It spread into a full width crack necessitating replacement a short time later.

I think it was the second day of ownership of my GT350 and a passing line of cars going the opposite direction sent a stone into the windshield right in front of me. After I got home, I looked the glass over real close with a super bright LED flashlight and couldnt find any damage. I dropped a few F Bombs on the drive home though.

OP
OP
sublime1996525

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
A 94 Camaro, 02 Z06, and 06 Z06. Zero broken windshields on them.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I think it was the second day of ownership of my GT350 and a passing line of cars going the opposite direction sent a stone into the windshield right in front of me. After I got home, I looked the glass over real close with a super bright LED flashlight and couldnt find any damage. I dropped a few F Bombs on the drive home though.
I totally understand.:cheers:

bellwilliam

bellwilliam
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
I've always put "clear bra" (actual brand is Clearplex, https://www.clearplex.com/) on my windshields (cars with costly windshield). They are on all of my race cars (except ones with plexiglass, as it won't stick properly) safer too.

iphone survive being shot by a .38
[ame]
Sponsored