Sponsored

Have you blown an engine? If so, what rod (cylinder) failed?

What rod (cylinder) failed on your engine?

• Total voters
OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I get what you are saying. But there are already folks who are REALLY looking into the issues as they have access to looking at many of the blown motors. And there are a few things that have been discovered. That said most of this is being done on Facebook groups which is where most of the EB tuners seem to really hang and discuss.
Then why not enlighten us to their discoveries? I'm on almost every EBM FB group there is and I don't see hardly anything in the way of discussing these failures other than people spreading FUD.
Sponsored

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
I get what you are saying. But there are already folks who are REALLY looking into the issues as they have access to looking at many of the blown motors. And there are a few things that have been discovered. That said most of this is being done on Facebook groups which is where most of the EB tuners seem to really hang and discuss.
So this is what we read bring it every bit helps
Even all tuner are welcome ..:clap2:

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
* I want to admit that I've not read the entire thread; only the last cuppla pages. * *

There's no downside to this sort of experience-sharing. Badmouthing and/or irresponsible accusations/shaming - yes that's unacceptable. But just posting data and discussing perceived trends is not only quite acceptable, but potentially beneficial. It's really no different than TV programming that discusses religion or politics or electro-stimulation gizmo's. And people who disagree or do not wish to participate (or think it's hogwash) can take EXACTLY the same action: change the channel! Nobody's forcing anyone to visit this thread and/or take up their cause.

As for the 'you-five-guys-don't-have-access-to-a-large-sample-of-blown-motors-so-how-can-you-state-informed-observations' argument...

It's true - five (or nine or fourteen) members of an enthusiast forum like this are not the Ford Motor Company. Of course they're not going to be able to examine the motors (or the data) to which the company has access. But from the smallest seed...

And besides - with the aforementioned caveat in mind...

Who cares if we're right?
Who cares if a handful of guys develop and expand upon a [perceived] trend?
Who cares if our deductions are incorrect? or our assumptions are groundless?

It's an inalienable right to shoot the s**t like this. Barring the aforementioned abusive or libelous rants...we can talk about this online if we d**m well want. Just like you can talk about what YOU believe (or perceive or enjoy). And if you gather a handful of others who agree/support your beliefs...great! And if one of us disagrees with YOUR stance...it's likely that we will simply stay away.

* * * And my reference to "YOU" does not reference any specific member; it is a generic & global reference to the naysayers in the thread. * * *
I couldn't of said it any "better" this is a great forum with wonderful enthusiasm to this thread..:cheers:

Woodshop77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
But I smell exhaust in the cabin of my Ecoboost, I wonder if I'll get a LETTER soon! LOL

Sponsored

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboom in my state at the dealership today melted the 3 cylinder on stock form ...the tech that was working on the car also has ecoboost in black fully tuned and moded with a turbo blanket and a map ported head but stock turbo said to me in a not so loud voice that the turbo is heating the block on these motors 32,000 miles on Spain build ..:gossip:

he only guy I trust when I take my car in and said to me if you blow it up put it back to stock and go from their GREAT MACHANC and find he is keeper ..:ford:

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
FYI - a member just got a hold of me on another website and said his 2017 model and I quote,
"My 2017 started knocking on cold start within the first 30 days/1500 miles.
Dropped it off at the dealership to get it checked out.
The dealership sent the engine to a machine shop at Ford's request to check out the engine.
The machine shop reported that the #3 cylinder bore was out of spec.
Ford covered the cost of a new short block and installation under warranty.

The new engine is running fine but the idea of a block leaving the factory with a poorly bored cylinder makes me wonder about the quality control used in the manufacturing of these engines. "
Out of spec can also mean you just got lucky. I remember crashing a car into a curb and they covered the control arms from "being out of spec".

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
So it now seems that the theory that EcoBoost engines blow because they are tuned doesn’t stand. There are several posts on Facebook of users who report that their cars blew while stock, or slightly moded (catback exhaust or CAI). In fact it’s getting scary, there are so many reports of EcoBoosts blowing, that got me thinking to stop spending on mods as it seems to be a waste of money...

What puzzles me is that, for some reason, there are no reports of EcoBoosts blowing in Europe. I have no idea how many cars have been sold in Europe (including the UK), but I know that it is the exact same engine. Maybe it is something worth checking out?

Last edited:

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
So it now seems that the theory that EcoBoost engines blow because they are tuned doesn’t stand. There are several posts on Facebook of users who report that their cars blew while stock, or slightly moded (catback exhaust or CAI). In fact it’s getting scary, there are so many reports of EcoBoosts blowing, that got me thinking on stop spending on mods as it seems to be a waste of money...

What puzzles me is that, for some reason, there are no reports of EcoBoosts blowing in Europe. I have no idea how many cars have been sold in Europe (including the UK), but I know that it is the exact same engine. Maybe it is something worth checking out?
Fuel quality in Europe is better (And it should be for the f'n price!)
Regardless, there have been a very few. Just ask PJ [MENTION=21881]MustangMustHaves[/MENTION]. he told me about some though one was totally the drivers fault. At my local Garage in Kaiserslautern I saw a bone stock EU Ecoboost and an EU GT with engines out. Why? The manager wouldn't tell me anything but one of the Mechanics said they both needed engines. He also told me they have had a lot more GT engine replacements than EBs (Including all of the American spec cars around here). But then again, around here GTs outnumber EBs by a significant margin, I see just about as many V6s too as the are still sold on base.

Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Yeah we are currently discussing the issue on our Mustang Europe group on Facebook. It seems that the failure rate in Belgium is around 0.2% (4 blown engines): one car was remotely tuned, two were locally tuned and one was stock. So it seems to be random. Assuming that in Europe there are about 10000 EcoBoosts, we should expect around 20 to blow (if statistics are correct). But as you said, the take home message here is that most of the times it’s drivers fault.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Yeah we are currently discussing the issue on our Mustang Europe group on Facebook. It seems that the failure rate in Belgium is around 0.2% (4 blown engines): one car was remotely tuned, two were locally tuned and one was stock. So it seems to be random. Assuming that in Europe there are about 10000 EcoBoosts, we should expect around 20 to blow (if statistics are correct). But as you said, the take home message here is that most of the times it’s drivers fault.
I don't think that it's usually the drivers fault; only in some cases when someone does something incredibly stupid like driving 4000 kms with a severe misfire or flooring it in 6th gear while doing 100 kph. I still believe it has to do with the harmonics of the balance shafts caused by slipping of the ring gear on the crank.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think that it's usually the drivers fault; only in some cases when someone does something incredibly stupid like driving 4000 kms with a severe misfire or flooring it in 6th gear while doing 100 kph. I still believe it has to do with the harmonics of the balance shafts caused by slipping of the ring gear on the crank.
but if you drive like a twat it doesn't help those either. I'm prone to a good hoon of the car, but I only do it when it's warm, in the right gear etc, I'm usually driving with radio quieter than the engine noise. I know the lug points on the motor and wont go into them, I usually spend the first 50miles of a new tune learning what points cause neg corrections, or false corrections, and will adapt my driving around such. :thumbsup:.

In the case of Ecobooms, knowledge is very much power. Learn your car, or be prepared to lawyer up for a debate with ford.

The build of the engine doesn't help (I'm speaking Fords engines and how they've put them together in terms of parts and quality), but neither does some people comparing the EBM engine to the FRS they're totally separate, and whereas they share a platform, their internals differ, the ECU's control differs etc and is a completely irrelevant argument.

God I come out of the UK cave rarely :lol::lol:

if [MENTION=32046]trippleyelo[/MENTION] isn't trolling I better get a blanket :lol:

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
but if you drive like a twat it doesn't help those either. I'm prone to a good hoon of the car, but I only do it when it's warm, in the right gear etc, I'm usually driving with radio quieter than the engine noise. I know the lug points on the motor and wont go into them, I usually spend the first 50miles of a new tune learning what points cause neg corrections, or false corrections, and will adapt my driving around such. :thumbsup:.

In the case of Ecobooms, knowledge is very much power. Learn your car, or be prepared to lawyer up for a debate with ford.

The build of the engine doesn't help (I'm speaking Fords engines and how they've put them together in terms of parts and quality), but neither does some people comparing the EBM engine to the FRS they're totally separate, and whereas they share a platform, their internals differ, the ECU's control differs etc and is a completely irrelevant argument.

if [MENTION=32046]trippleyelo[/MENTION] isn't trolling I better get a blanket :lol:
Not trolling bit__ don't have time for miss leading people for being in the know with one of the more influential machanics in need mates.:headbang:

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost

if @trippleyelo isn't trolling I better get a blanket :lol:
I'm prone to a good hoon as well, more often than not really!

I would count going into full boost when the engine is not up to temp in the Incredibly stupid category.

As far as a new tune goes, I deep dive into the datalogs before I send them to Adam. He is very safe and conservative in his tuning. If there was some way to prove it (and without being able to see alternate realities, it's not)I would bet that any engines he tuned that let go, would have let go on the stock tune sooner rather than later.

He actually tunes in protection in the LSPI zone to prevent you from doing stupid shit like flooring it in 6th at 1500 rpm.
Sponsored