African PH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Franco
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Race Red GT
Hi Folks,
I apologise if this has been covered elsewhere.

Is there any way we can get functional hood vents installed. There is an awful lot of heat being generated under the bonnet, and I regard the omission of the hood vents "stupid" to put it kindly.

Any comments, advice, appreciated.
Sponsored

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Hi mustang motorsport sell complete usa spec bonnets with the vents in. I've seen plenty of after market bonnet with vents also so lots of options

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Model GT Fastback Oxford White Auto
Hi Folks,
I apologise if this has been covered elsewhere.

Is there any way we can get functional hood vents installed. There is an awful lot of heat being generated under the bonnet, and I regard the omission of the hood vents "stupid" to put it kindly.

Any comments, advice, appreciated.
Yes you have to buy a whole new US hood from the Australian importers. I think Mustang Motorsport has them.

They are not cheap and I doubt that they are that effective in reducing engine temps. It is just a hot engine. Also you would be lucky to get an absolutely perfect paint match as it would be a different batch to your car.

Only other car I had with hood vents was BMW M3 and one was an air intake and the other did nothing but match the passenger side one.

OP
OP

African PH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Franco
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Race Red GT
Yes you have to buy a whole new US hood from the Australian importers. I think Mustang Motorsport has them.

They are not cheap and I doubt that they are that effective in reducing engine temps. It is just a hot engine. Also you would be lucky to get an absolutely perfect paint match as it would be a different batch to your car.

Only other car I had with hood vents was BMW M3 and one was an air intake and the other did nothing but match the passenger side one.
Thanks Snake Bite, Thanks Fiz, for input.
Ja, paint could be prob, the race red probably not the easiest to match.
Will be in the States Feb, will investigate further.

Shudder to think what the imported bonnet will set us back....

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
Another consideration is that most 3rd party hoods wont support our active hood system which protects pedestrians in an accident.

Not sure if you can mod them to work or what though.

Sponsored

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
Thanks Snake Bite, Thanks Fiz, for input.
Ja, paint could be prob, the race red probably not the easiest to match.
Will be in the States Feb, will investigate further.

Shudder to think what the imported bonnet will set us back....
Paint matching should be no probs for a good shop. Especially with a fairly new car/paint. Gee, people damage or modify cars worth $500k+ and get paint matched. What about people getting all these Rousch/Shelby bits, painted and fitted. The actual cost of this exercise would be my beef, for just a couple of vents.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The UK guys have been retro-fitting them to the stock bonnet with various degrees of success. Take a look in their group.

OP
OP

African PH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Franco
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Race Red GT
Paint matching should be no probs for a good shop. Especially with a fairly new car/paint. Gee, people damage or modify cars worth $500k+ and get paint matched. What about people getting all these Rousch/Shelby bits, painted and fitted. The actual cost of this exercise would be my beef, for just a couple of vents.
I hear you about the cost. Me thinks that it would be poss to cut the bonnet and install, but apparently not. My beef is, why did they (whoever they are) decide to manufacture our cars without the vents? If I understood the reason, I'll calm down.

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Think it was Euro safety requirements and pedestrian safety. They fitted ventless bonnets to ALL EXPORT MODELS (I think I read that somewhere). Regardless of whether they were ok in Australia or not.
Personally, I prefer our bonnets, white Tail lights look superb on some colours. Don't notice the mirrors or grille and love the circular GT faux cap. Happy for spoiler delete too.
And we got proper indicator stalk (for us).

Sponsored

gbader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
The US 'vents' are too small to make an effective difference to temp reduction, might make rad airflow a little better by reducing pressure in front of the block but all together not worth the hassle. Something like gbaders or a couple of rear set naca ducts are what you need.

tienlo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black Manual GT, S2000, 350z, MT-03