Sponsored

GT350 Cartridge Oil Filter Adapter Kit

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Ford test driver that helped developed this car has told me personally to upgrade to cartridge type filter if you track it hard.

btw. the upgrade kit is nationally backordered tilled mid October.
If this is the same driver I'm thinking of he had an "incident" or subsequent off-track excursion due to an oil filter issue.
Sponsored

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
I stand corrected. The manual says to apply oil to the oil filter gasket. I was working off of memory that a respected member said not to.

Oh well
PFFFT! I never respected him! :p

(You, on the other hand, Tomster, I respect! :cheers: )

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
PFFFT! I never respected him! :p

(You, on the other hand, Tomster, I respect! :cheers: )
Thanks, when you are wrong, you are wrong..... manned up to it, my mistake.....

So what ever happened to the person who shall go nameless? I remember he used to stir the pot a lot. Did that catch up to him? I missed the drama or just tuned it out I guess.

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
Thanks, when you are wrong, you are wrong..... manned up to it, my mistake.....

So what ever happened to the person who shall go nameless? I remember he used to stir the pot a lot. Did that catch up to him? I missed the drama or just tuned it out I guess.
Mcarfan?

Is that who you are talking about?

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
I just added a hose clamp that's up against the housing.

Of course I tightened to spec before I put the clamp on.
Do you have a link / picture of the clamp?

(I have a lift and check the tq on the oil filter regularly. Mine did come a little loose after my first oil change as I was able to torque it down some.)

Sponsored

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
I have changed the oil and spin on filter at least 5 times in 11000 miles. I beat on my car like I stole and its my daily driver never once have I had a issue with a leaking or loose oil filter. I install it with a little oil on the seal and torque it to spec and all is well. As said earlier if done properly you wont have any issues.

Spin on filters have been around forever no need to reinvent the wheel.

Remember even a wheel not torqued properly will come off! just sayin

Destro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Perhaps part of the problem is most people grow up learning to not torque down an oil filter, but to tighten it by hand. I've never torqued down an oil filter.
The way this filter is accessed though, I find it hard to believe anyone can properly torque it by hand. Not enough room. With plenty of room, you should be able to hand tighten a filter to 18 ft lbs.

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Perhaps part of the problem is most people grow up learning to not torque down an oil filter, but to tighten it by hand. I've never torqued down an oil filter.
The way this filter is accessed though, I find it hard to believe anyone can properly torque it by hand. Not enough room. With plenty of room, you should be able to hand tighten a filter to 18 ft lbs.
Agreed to a point but most filters do not have a warning on them like this filter does to torque it 18ftlbs. Meaning make sure its torqued!

In this day and age of modern lightweight cars with many torque to yield fasteners that in many cases are one time use a high quality torque wrench should a technicians first purchase not a impact wrench!

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Oiling the gasket on a canister type oil filter has been standard practice since the 60s when they replaced cartridge filters. I am surprised that there is a discussion about doing it now.

Sponsored

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oiling the gasket on a canister type oil filter has been standard practice since the 60s when they replaced cartridge filters. I am surprised that there is a discussion about doing it now.
Agreed 100%

Wait there will probably someone who will not lube the O-rings on the cartridge filter and twist the O-rings and lose a engine and blame the cartridge style.

Both versions can be installed improperly or properly and both can fail or never fail. Both version can be 100% reliable if directions are followed.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I'm not surprised. Half of the mods available today bank on customers who think there's some new, better way to do everything or that someone "discovered" something amazing. Some of these waterless washes, for example.

Some things don't need "fixed" and common sense rules.

bellwilliam

bellwilliam
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
I have changed the oil and spin on filter at least 5 times in 11000 miles. I beat on my car like I stole and its my daily driver never once have I had a issue with a leaking or loose oil filter.
street driving is not track driving. track miles is much harder on a car vs ANY spirited driving.. not even close. for street driving, you don't need any of trans, oil, diff cooler either.

flat plane v8 shakes a lot more. Ferrari flat plane V8 cars have a habit of shaking everything loose too.

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
street driving is not track driving. track miles is much harder on a car vs ANY spirited driving.. not even close. for street driving, you don't need any of trans, oil, diff cooler either.

flat plane v8 shakes a lot more. Ferrari flat plane V8 cars have a habit of shaking everything loose too.
All 4 cylinder engine have flat plane cranks and many Ferrari engines use spin on oil filters!

I think track attack runs theres quiet hard.yes I heard they lost one but that was probably not torqued.

If you are really worried about the track add a hose clamp as mentioned earlier.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I was at the Track Attack in August of last year when a filter was loose and spewed oil all over the engine bay, underside of the car and a bit on the track. I believe the engine was fine after some cleanup.
Sponsored