Sponsored

Almost 60K for Loaded 2018 GT

Ks5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H5318
The 2018 also had my interest even though, I currently own a 2016 GT/CS. But.........the 55g price tag has me looking for a 2017 GT 350 for 5 grand more
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
How so? You are forgetting about the Dodge Demon, Hellcat, GT350, ZL1. Let me guess, you still think 60k is too much for a pony car? Ha! ;)
Sure is for one that isn't up there at the top of the model lineup.

Bad enough that it only takes adding the PP to drive a GT coupe up to $40k.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If your stance is to be used then we don't call a Mustang GT a sportscar or a muscle car.
It's neither of those. It's not a Miata-class of car, nor is it a Hemi Charger wanna-be.

Choose from 'pony car' or 'Grand Touring' car.

Norm

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

It's neither of those. It's not a Miata-class of car, nor is it a Hemi Charger wanna-be.

Norm
Taken from Wikipedia

"A sports car, or sportscar, is a small, usually two-seater, two-door automobile designed for spirited performance and nimble handling."

While I agree the Mustang isn't small and doesn't belong in a class with a Miata, I believe everything else in the description for a sports car is exactly what the Mustang is. Maybe it's time to redefine what a sports car is. Man... that should be Ford's slogan. The redesigned sports car. I like that. :thumbsup:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Spirited performance I'll give you. But the handling side of ponycar performance is still 'heavier' in nature - more deliberate - than that of the lighter and nimbler true sports cars. Point and shoot vs momentum driving.

You'd think with GT already embedded in the V8 Mustang labelling that 'Grand Touring' would have easier acceptance, assuming that there's anything wrong with the 'ponycar' label. Here we have the car that named the segment in the first place, and that's not good enough either???

Norm

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Spirited performance I'll give you. But the handling side of ponycar performance is still 'heavier' in nature - more deliberate - than that of the lighter and nimbler true sports cars. Point and shoot vs momentum driving.

You'd think with GT already embedded in the V8 Mustang labelling that 'Grand Touring' would have easier acceptance, assuming that there's anything wrong with the 'ponycar' label. Here we have the car that named the segment in the first place, and that's not good enough either???

Norm
I get the GT moniker and agree it suits our car well. I'd consider the GT, V6, and Ecoboost all grand touring based on the definition. But first, pony car.

Taken from Wikipedia again.

Pony car is an American class of automobile launched and inspired by the Ford Mustang in 1964.[1][2][3][4] It broke all Post World War II automobile sales records, "creating the 'pony car' craze soon adopted by competitors."[5] The term describes an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image.

I know Wikipedia isn't the most credible source, but the information is usually checked for accuracy. The Mustang affordable? Check. Although I don't know for how long. Compact? Nope. Highly styled? Check. I guess two out of three ain't bad lol.

Now, grand tourer.

Taken from Wikipedia again. In the definition for the grand tourer, it reads: "The most common format is a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive two-door coupé with either a two-seat or a 2+2 arrangement." bingo! That fits all trim levels of Mustangs.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
The 2018 also had my interest even though, I currently own a 2016 GT/CS. But.........the 55g price tag has me looking for a 2017 GT 350 for 5 grand more��
Yes, at this pricetag I would definitely do like you and shop around for a GT350 or a Corvette.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4

Norm
You're correct, it's neither of those.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Taken from Wikipedia

"A sports car, or sportscar, is a small, usually two-seater, two-door automobile designed for spirited performance and nimble handling."

While I agree the Mustang isn't small and doesn't belong in a class with a Miata, I believe everything else in the description for a sports car is exactly what the Mustang is. Maybe it's time to redefine what a sports car is. Man... that should be Ford's slogan. The redesigned sports car. I like that. :thumbsup:
Except, the Mustang is not a two-seater like the Corvette, or a Miata. It is a 2+2 Performance Coupe. (like the BMW M2)

Subsequently, the 2018 Mustang, can be optioned w/MagneRide and v8 (460hp & 420lb-ft). And can compete with sportscars on the race trax...

:ford:

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Ugg, not the pedantic squabbling about sports car vs pony car vs grand touring car, vs muscle car. It just doesn't matter. None of those definitions are precise and there is a lot of room for overlap. Coupe and sedan and roadster have precise definitions (if you ignore BMW, who just doesn't care). Unicycle has a precise definition.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ugg, not the pedantic squabbling about sports car vs pony car vs grand touring car, vs muscle car. It just doesn't matter. None of those definitions are precise and there is a lot of room for overlap. Coupe and sedan and roadster have precise definitions (if you ignore BMW, who just doesn't care). Unicycle has a precise definition.
A little overlap doesn't mean you get to stretch the definitions to create that overlap. Else you end up with such distorted silliness as Nissan's "4DSC" 4-door sports car tag for its Maxima (decent enough cars when they still had MT's, but having nowhere near the same character as a sports car).

If Mazda was to suddenly upsize their Miata a couple of inches here and a couple more there so they could fit a 3.5L V8 (and just for grins let's make that a pushrod V8 with a carburetor-looking throttle-body injection setup a la NASCAR Cup sitting on top of it all) . . . would anybody here start calling Miatas "muscle cars". Same thing, just seen from a different perspective.

Norm

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Except, the Mustang is not a two-seater like the Corvette, or a Miata. It is a 2+2 Performance Coupe. (like the BMW M2)

Subsequently, the 2018 Mustang, can be optioned w/MagneRide and v8 (460hp & 420lb-ft). And can compete with sportscars on the race trax...

:ford:
One could argue that the Mustang is a 2 seater. The back seats are only good for Lieutenant Dan's of the world(no offense to anyone).

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Mustangs are GTs, Grand Tourers. Or sports coupe, sort of a blend between those two. They're definitely not sports cars. A Miata is a sports car, an MGB is a sports car.

Anyways, the class lines are blurring.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
This reminds me of when people complain about the quality of a $70k Hellcat. At the end of the day it is still a Challenger in build quality, reliability, etc. Same goes for the Mustang. I would consider my options if I could afford a $60k car. There are some attractive options in that price range, especially something low miles / pre-owned. Better performance too.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Mustangs are GTs, Grand Tourers. Or sports coupe, sort of a blend between those two. They're definitely not sports cars. A Miata is a sports car, an MGB is a sports car.

Anyways, the class lines are blurring.
I guess if you weren't there when the terms were first established (and everything was much clearer), there's a limit to how sharp your focus can get.

Norm
Sponsored