Sponsored

'16 EB MT to the Dyno! (Thanks go to Unleashed!)

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I hate that guy. Anit-mustang in almost every video. Die hard GM guy that keep loosing to stock mustangs
To be fair, he disses the Mustang sold in Australia, and it's about the lack of safety features, not performance/quality. For some reason Ford Australia decided not to include several key safety features that are included on the cars sold here in the US. Because of that the car received a dismal safety rating down under.

If you look at his website none of the top 20 recommended vehicles are GM. None are Ford either. He likes Hyudai, Subaru, Kia, Mazda, Nissan, Renault and Infinity. He's not a fan of "performance" cars.
Sponsored

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
I've heard getting a bigger throttle body is a waist of money , I would probably get a wastegate
TBH, I would only want a upgraded waste gate on a Vargas set up when turbo housing is increased enough to support the air flow. Getting a 15psi or higher waste gate on this small turbo will make it wheeze. I'm just thinking longevity and consistency of the turbo, or worse, a pressure spike at low RPM.

FraG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 EcoBoost
To be fair, he disses the Mustang sold in Australia, and it's about the lack of safety features, not performance/quality. For some reason Ford Australia decided not to include several key safety features that are included on the cars sold here in the US. Because of that the car received a dismal safety rating down under.

If you look at his website none of the top 20 recommended vehicles are GM. None are Ford either. He likes Hyudai, Subaru, Kia, Mazda, Nissan, Renault and Infinity. He's not a fan of "performance" cars.
Sorry TorqueMan, this is a little incorrect.

All EUDM, AUDM and I would expect export Mustangs had these features taken away. EuroNCAP did the testing and the Mustang got 2 stars. Australia didnt bother doing any testing as Ford refused to provide any vehicles and adopted the EuroNCAP safety rating of 2. I dont think it would have been much different here though.

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/ford/mustang/26063

Now essentially if Ford left in LKA, Accident Avoidance etc, Blind Spot Monitoring that alone would have seen it probably get 3 to 4 stars in
EuroNCAP.

** While writing this and grabbing links, I notice that there is a new version of July+ 2017 vehicles which get some of the electronic driver assists. It seems that that got ford a whopping extra star so its now 3 stars. Rear occupant safety is the lowest they have. Again moot for me as I dont have rear passangers, and good luck fitting in behind me as my seat is all the way back (6'3")

The biggest issue was rear occupant safety. It was hideous as basics were left off including pretensioners on the rear belts and i think from memory ISOFIX for baby seats.

For me, the electronic BS is just BS - honestly if I need a computer to warn me when I am not in my lane I need to be off the road. Likewise I dont have any rear passengers so

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
Where is your dyno posted, And who tuned it for that run.

The results at this point are amazing. With nothing more than our intake system, intercooler, and custom tune we've gained 50-60whp and 80-100wtq through most of the powerband with an incredible +123whp/+99wtq near redline! This thing drives like a whole new car at this point.
Next up we are moving on to the exhaust side of things with a Turbosmart actuator and downpipe & exhaust system development. We will also be adding some other options at the time , and I had an enjine intercooler for my setup. I made a mistake speed city it was speed factory for the record it is cooler in this part of the country IN WA. ..

the turbo upgrade for me is where my money went...
SF_CAI_SF_IC_SF_map_vs_SF_CAI_Stock_map.png

Last edited:

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Sorry TorqueMan, this is a little incorrect.
Roger that! I knew it had to do with the safety equipment, I didn't know said equipment was excluded from all exports. I'm in the same boat as you regarding backseaters; at 6'3" no one is sitting behind me.

I'm actually seriously considering the back seat removal kit. It would be nice to have a shelf back there for... stuff...

Sponsored

OP
OP

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
So!

In preparation for the arrival of my WMI kit, I have been trying to decide which of the assorted methods of WM delivery I like best...and which I can afford. Initially I was advised to stick a TB spacer in, but I don't want to risk siphoning. (Yeah yeah - I know - this re-awakens the solenoid-or-no-solenoid debate. See below*)

And so it looks like I will require an injection port in my cold charge pipe.

Since I'd like to be able to de-mod the car at some point, I'd prefer to simply remove and set aside the factory pipe. And I am not wowed by the thought of boring a hole into the rubber OE pipe anyway. It seems awfully...amateurish. And on top of all that I'd need to buy an adapter flange for another thirty bucks! Phooey,

Therefore I am on the hunt for a replacement a/m pipe that comes with a bung. Please.

* I've read various opinions about installing a solenoid to block the [unwanted] flow of MW fluid. And I understand the dynamics involved. And/but there are a couple of ambiguous statements contained within the WMI installation instructions regarding this issue, so I reached out to the manufacturer. In red is what I said, and in green is what they said:

"...your instructions tell me that I must install a solenoid if I am mounting the tank & pump in the trunk. Since my tank will definitely be higher than my pump -- and the injection nozzle will be higher than both -- why must I use a solenoid? It is my understanding that the solenoid is installed in the fluid-carrying line between pump & nozzle...and functions as both a gravity-feed-prevention valve and an anti-drain back valve(?) I don't see how the fluid could drain back if the pump is between the nozzle and the tank - especially if the tank is higher than the pump(?) As for gravity feeding...that won't affect me with the relative mounting heights I have provided. And vacuum/siphoning will not be a problem because I'm injecting before the TB. Yes?"

"...You are right that you will not have an issue with siphoning since you are mounting the nozzle before the throttle body, and back-feeding should not be an issue. The gravity feeding we mostly worry about is if you are parked nose down on a hill - while on level ground the tank may be lower than the nozzles but on a hill this may not be the case. If you are comfortable making sure how you are parked at all times you don't need the solenoid. The system will work just fine without a solenoid - it comes with a check valve to prevent any boost pressure form back feeding the system and preventing back flow of any fluid."

So I'm good. No extra bits for me; just the parts in the kit and I'm all set.

Now! About that a/m cold pipe! Anyone? Anyone at all! :cheers:

Last edited:
OP
OP

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Thank you very much! :thumbsup: Those are nice-looking and versatile designs for sure. But in fact, an opportunity came my way that I couldn't let pass. So I have my Snow Perf. kit on the way. :thumbsup:

What I'm looking for now is a cold side a/m pipe, or -- and I don't think these exist, but I'll say it anyway -- a TB extension that has a 1/8" threaded bung...and inserts BEFORE the TB.

Everything else is included in the kit. Including a selection of 1/8" NPT nozzles.

:headbang:

Last edited:

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
Thank you very much! :thumbsup: Those are nice-looking and versatile designs for sure. But I already have my kit on the way.

What I'm looking for now is a cold side a/m pipe, or -- and I don't think these exist, but I'll say it anyway -- a TB extension that has a 1/8" threaded bung...and inserts BEFORE the TB.

Everything else is include in the kit. Including a selection of 1/8" NPT nozzles.

:headbang:
Hay mate .. look at the aem cold and hot side charge pipes with two 1/8 inch ports
For your meth injection .. hot side set up direct replacement from old I think 250.00
Us on eBay.. what I have on my set up . The only item of concern was the clamp I just
Added t bolt clamps because I garentee you will turn up the boost..:first:

OP
OP

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Well, loyal readers...

I sourced a gently-used Mishimoto IC and both charge pipes...so I have a pre-TB injection port now. Meanwhile I had a fantastic custom bracket made upon which to mount my WM reservoir and pump. And that same bracket has permitted me to affix those components to the chassis behind the LH foglight. Without drilling. Brilliant!

So it's off to the hoist this Saturday to install the IC & charge pipes...and fill up and activate the WM system for the first time!

woo-hoo! :headbang:

Sponsored

stevnoof1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
man the curves on these stock turbo cars look awful

OP
OP

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
171029 update:
According to the WMI instructions from SP, the pump does not require priming as long as it's mounted below the level of the reservoir (which it is) But I drove quite a distance after the installation -- experimenting quite a bit behind the wheel with the accel & boost -- and I didn't feel ANY difference. I realize it's not the electric blower on the last of the V8 Interceptors from Mad Max, but I figured I would appreciate some change once I'd crossed the START threshold of 5 pounds of boost. Nope.

So - after my chores were done this afternoon I disconnected the nylon feeder line from the injector nozzle in readiness for independently powering the pump to see if the blue fluid shoots out onto the driveway...and I was surprised to discover that the line was dry & apparently empty. I proceeded to energize the power line to the pump for barely one second, and it ran, but no fluid came out of the line. Again I was surprised! With the pressure that pump puts out -- and the short distance between the pump and the nozzle end of the line -- I expected it to INSTANTLY shoot about ten feet! Nope! So I powered it for another 3 or 4 seconds, and this time it came jetting out.

This strongly suggests that the pump did indeed need priming.

On to the next step...

I left the feeder line off the nozzle and pulled the vac line off the manifold so that I could blow into it (with the vehicle power activated to energize the controller) and the pump responded immediately and shot out a jet of fluid.

This strongly suggests that the entire system is now working as it should.

But I'm still skeptical about it being functional yesterday after I finished the installation. I kinda doubt it. But I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning to drive it again and see how it feels.

* * I'm also a little uncertain about the blue fluid. Not because it's blue, but because it was super-cheap, and is rated to only -20°.

This strongly suggests that it has a very low concentration of Methyl Alcohol.

It's probably < 25%, which is pretty friggin' low when compared to Boost Juice @ 49%. But - one thing at a time. I have already spiked it with some pure Methanol, and I'll see how it feels tomorrow. (And of course the tune is gonna need to be tweaked as well. Sigh.)

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
Did you ever tweak the tune for the wmi? I have a wmi kit I’ll be installing when I get home from this work trip and am also using unleashed for tuning.

OP
OP

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Yes I did - and I am very happy.

Do you remember the car in Mad Max? He had some sort of electrical switch for the blower on the top of the V8. And he normally drove around with it OFF...but he could activate it when he wanted the extra power. I'm not so sure whether such a device actually exists, but I know that Nitrous [injection] certainly exists. And both of these systems share a common characteristic; you can run without it activated or you can run with it activated.

Before I got the WMI kit, I was under the impression that I could do it like that; activate it when I wanted an extra boost of power, and leave it off when I was just cruising around. I figured that this would also have reduced my rate of WM consumption, which definitely appealed to me. And indeed this method of operation is do-able. However...

I learned that a vehicle that is tuned for *the consistent availability of WMI* is going to be a lot more fun and run better (read: more powerfully) than one that is tuned the way I thought in the preceding paragraph.

*When I say "the consistent availability of WMI" I don't mean it is constantly spraying fluid - I mean the system is always enabled. It can be (and is) configured by me to come on at X pounds of boost and ramp up its injection volume all the way to Y pounds of boost. (In my case, X and Y are 5 and 20) and I achieve the 'no-WM-is-being-injected-when-I'm-just-cruising' feature because 99% of my cruising takes place at < 5 pounds of boost pressure.

I can't say enough about UT. Torrie knows his stuff, and he treats me like a valued customer.

P.S.: if this damn wintry weather EVER ends up here (and I can get my UHP shoes on and my summer tune loaded) I plan to return to the chassis dyno and see what the WMI tune ended up doing for me. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
Sounds good man! I can't wait to install my wmi kit. I'm limited to 91oct where I am so the incresed octane is going to help out a ton.
Sponsored