Sponsored

New here and looking to get a 5.0.....Auto or Manual?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The manual is perfectly fine, and it makes for a more involved driving experience. BG Synchromesh is highly recommended.
Sponsored

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
The manual is perfectly fine, and it makes for a more involved driving experience. BG Synchromesh is highly recommended.
If it were fine it wouldn't need a fluid swap right away now would it? :crazy:

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
G That is about the only plus to an auto I can think of. :shrug:.
What are the plus sides to a manual in your opinion? It really comes down to weighing out the choices.

OP
OP

Stopsign32v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
What are the plus sides to a manual in your opinion? It really comes down to weighing out the choices.
Less weight
Less power loss to the wheels
Launch at higher RPM at will
More "fun" normal driving
More control
Less consistent at the track

I'm sure there are more

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
In Hindsight if I could have gotten the performance pack in an Auto I would have. The clutch in this car is terrible and the shifting is notchy and clunky. Been driving manual cars for 30 years( I learned on a 78 ford 3/4 with a 4 speed and 390 Big Block) and this car makes me feel like a rookie. Really ruins the fun of the car.

Sponsored

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Less weight
More control

I'm sure there are more
Oh man, that's a lot of pros. I'd suggest you test drive both. I have a manual and dont really do any racing so it's held up just fine. Like others have said, it s kinda of notchy when cold but thats about it for me.

OP
OP

Stopsign32v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Oh man, that's a lot of pros. I'd suggest you test drive both. I have a manual and dont really do any racing so it's held up just fine. Like others have said, it s kinda of notchy when cold but thats about it for me.
Manual transmissions aren't the best thing in the world when you start beating the piss out of them, dumping the clutch at the track, and putting power down.

Things tend to start to break and cost money very quickly. That is a huge con to them IMO.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
From experience, it is an expensive lesson to buy one and decide you don't like it. Drive both then drive them both again before buying.
I learned that lesson too. I'm a stick shift purist and bought a PP, after a couple months hated it and took it back and traded for an auto...

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Manual transmissions aren't the best thing in the world when you start beating the piss out of them, dumping the clutch at the track, and putting power down.

Things tend to start to break and cost money very quickly. That is a huge con to them IMO.
99% of Mustang owners never take their car to the "strip" (not "track") and don't "beat the piss out of them, dumping the clutch at the track". And with the money that would be spent on all the parts, equipment, tires, etc. that it takes to go drag racing, the cost of a clutch is a minimal concern.

Now, if the OP wants to get into drag racing seriously, then sure, get an auto. But then a Mustang isn't the best car to go drag racing with anyways.

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
From experience, it is an expensive lesson to buy one and decide you don't like it. Drive both then drive them both again before buying.
^This. I'm surprised how many people still go on a forum and ask which they should buy: manual or automatic. That is such a personal decision. I love driving stick and have hardly owned any AT's, but everyone is different.

Please do not street race.:thumbsup:
I second this.

If it were fine it wouldn't need a fluid swap right away now would it? :crazy:
Well, first of all, a fluid swap is a rather minor deal (although I agree it would be nice to have better fluid from the factory). Secondly, it's not like the MT82 is total garbage without it. Yes, the shifts are clunkier than I'd like, but it's far from the worst-shifting new car I've driven (that honor goes to the new WRX).

Sponsored

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
Less weight
More control

I'm sure there are more
Rev the engine anytime you want.
Sounds badass with an exhaust. Autos and exhaust....are disgusting.
Can't rev too high or lockouts happen and odd noises.

I love the Mustang, but would go Camaro manual, instead of an auto Mustang.

BGEFan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT
Just came out of a Bimmer with the DCT. Yes, it was faster than the MT, but I missed rowing my own gears. When I got in the 5.0 it had to be MT.

OP
OP

Stopsign32v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
99% of Mustang owners never take their car to the "strip" (not "track") and don't "beat the piss out of them, dumping the clutch at the track".
Well I don't care what 99% of Mustang owners do. I do take mine to the "strip" and do "beat the piss out of it, dumping the clutch".

[ame]

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
IMO if you want to get a Auto wait for the '18. Sure, the auto on the 2015-2017 can handle a lot of power, but its too outdated.

OP
OP

Stopsign32v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
IMO if you want to get a Auto wait for the '18. Sure, the auto on the 2015-2017 can handle a lot of power, but its too outdated.
What's the scoop on the '18 model? I'm reading the thread now but wow, quite a few pages.
Sponsored