Sponsored

New here and looking to get a 5.0.....Auto or Manual?

Stopsign32v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Guys forgive me because I know this has been asked before and before but I tried searching several times and came up with very little information. I'm sure it's the way I was searching but I had no luck.

With that being said I'm looking in getting a 2015+ 5.0 and I'm curious to hear which transmission option you guys think is better. I don't know much at all about the 5.0s but I think I remember reading early in their years that the manual transmissions weren't doing good with the high RPM shifting? Now I've driven nothing but manuals and I know how hard they are on a car. You can't preload them at the track and they cause a hell of a shock on the drivetrain. Powershifting is also hell on just about everything.

With that said I've thought about going to an auto. They are easier on the car and faster. That is about the only plus to an auto I can think of. :shrug: But I've ridden in a stalled auto and it made me giggle like no manual trans car ever has.
Sponsored

Ronnoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I just bought my car two months ago. Didn't know how to drive stick, my friend taught me. I have no idea how you can buy this car in an automatic. Stomping on the gas an rowing through the gears is a religuous expereince. Its a lot less eventful in an auto. And this car is really easy to drive stick too.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Your name is familiar, SVTP?

Autos handle power better and easier to put it down. If your goal is drag racing go auto, otherwise I'd always pick manual. Performance Pack has the 3.73 gears which are very fun to run but will have overall the worse MPG. If you drag race you will need to run slicks to prevent snapping parts. They also top out pretty quick (5th tops out around 150-160ish I think). If you plan on adding supercharger/turbos later, a 3.31 gear set seems to be the choice, manual or auto so take that into consideration. The 3.73 are good for N/A builds after that it seems like everyone wants to swap them because 1-3 are really hard to put the power down. People complain about the MT82. I have 14500 miles on mine so far and aside from it sounding a bit clunky when it's cold, it's a smooth transmission and seems to handle power decently.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Do you care about the connection and involvement with the car more than speed? Manual. Do you care about straight line performance and care free driving? Auto.

The shifter in the 2015 is a vast improvement over the S197 5.0L. It can be improved on, but it's not bad. A fluid swap to BG Syncroshift II makes it much smoother. Occasionally lockouts can happen but I've had only 2 or 3 in two years of ownership. That said, I do plan and MGW or Barton Hybird 3 (trans mount) shifter at some point.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
All my 3rd gear lockouts happened to be at the drag strip, felt like a damn fool, LOL. I think it's the adrenaline and pushing the shifter harder than needed into gear. One night I left and I couldn't get it to shift into 1st or reverse. I thought I busted the trans but ended up my shiftnob got rotated counterclockwise causing the lockout to stick. I must have been holding that damn thing hard when shifting to cause it to rotate.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Stopsign32v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
It sounds like auto with a circle D stall is what I want.

This will be mainly a daily driver and a good bit of track use and street racing in straight line.

From what I think I saw on the gauges the manuals have a higher redline than the autos? I figured Ford would have stopped that after the Mach 1 thing.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
I don't believe manuals have a higher redline, unless I've just never seen it mentioned. Also the paddles work great if u ever want control in sport mode in an auto. Remote start is an added bonus

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
It sounds like auto with a circle D stall is what I want.
Trust me this is what you want. The MT82 manual transmission is STILL a pile of crap.

Search auto vs manual in the general section. There are several threads already on this many pages long.

OP
OP

Stopsign32v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Apparently the clutch is the weak link. :tsk: I'm sure that's a cheap swap. What is a Ford racing clutch for a T5... $150? So a new one is probably...$300? :cheers:

Sponsored

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Loving my auto. Despite owning nothing but manuals previously.
All my friends have manuals, I drove them before, and drove them again after purchasing my auto, just to check if I perhaps made a mistake. Happy to report that I did not :)

I do sometimes miss it, I'd say about 10% of the time when I just wanna mess around in the car, but the 90% of the time that I'm daily driving or racing in a straight line, it's perfect.

OP
OP

Stopsign32v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Trust me this is what you want. The MT82 manual transmission is STILL a pile of crap.

Search auto vs manual in the general section. There are several threads already on this many pages long.
Yea sadly this sounds like the way to go.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
From experience, it is an expensive lesson to buy one and decide you don't like it. Drive both then drive them both again before buying.