Sponsored

OEM Differential Oil Cooler Install

jwb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Pack, Wht w/ blu
Those diagrams were pulled from the "Ford 2016 Mustang Wiring Diagrams" paperback dated March 2016. My Helms CD dated Nov 2015 omits them as well.

Ford doesn't like to make this easy.
Sorry. I swear i've read this entire thread and I just saw where you already stated the printed Ford didn't match Helm.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
[MENTION=21788]Tank[/MENTION], here is a 2017 convenience pack vin from a local dealer:

1FA6P8JZ0H5522939

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
[MENTION=21788]Tank[/MENTION], here is a 2017 convenience pack vin from a local dealer:

1FA6P8JZ0H5522939
Thanks [MENTION=23028]Lurker_350[/MENTION] :thumbsup: Give me a day or two and I'll post what I find here in the same format as before.

jwb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The blocking part on a diff kit is the OP's stopping point. The wiring harness is different so it will be very difficult to plug the hardware in. I can pretty much guarantee that there is an asbuilt value for "diff cooler installed", you just have to find it. But again, it won't matter unless the electrical connections to the PCM can be figured out.
[MENTION=18007]mattlqx[/MENTION],
I'm confident the wiring is figured out. A few feet of wire and some pins and we are set. I saw you, [MENTION=19066]Epiphany[/MENTION], [MENTION=21788]Tank[/MENTION], and others work magic on the FORScan thread. I can't help with the technical stuff but I can fetch coffee or the FORTRAN 77 manual.

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Matt,
Out of curiosity, did you get this from Helms? I received the CD a few months ago and it is a November 2015 version. My version does not have the temp sensor shown on this schematic. That would have been helpful. I found it by process of elimination. Is there a way to get updates. Sorry for the slight side track.

Also, your schematic shows circuit RE406 going to page 27-6 via DB. My 27-6 does not have DB. It does have a DA. Which is the tranny temp sensor. If you have time and want to, will look at 27-6 and tell me what it says. You don't need to post pics. Your own description would be great.
Thanks,
John
Here you go, it's easier to just post a quick scan.

For what it's worth (nothing), I'm no longer convinced it has to be an Asbuilt parameter. I put Sparco seats in my 2016 tech pack this week to replace the heated shiatsu massage recliners, and I did not have to disable climate controls via Asbuilt, leading me to believe there's detection logic. The harness and pins I used from a GT350R were significantly different, which is no big surprise since there are no climate/motor controls.

If I had to dream up a next test, it would be to take a look at the 5 signals on the diff pump harness to see that power is available, and then look at the pwm and diag signals in a scope. Then I'd give up and look for an Asbuilt or a PCM calibration difference between 2016 tech and track.

Coincidentally, this is almost exactly the point where a sane driver that wants to get on the track soon gives up and puts in their own PWM circuit. May your stubbornness lead you to a clean, fully working OEM differential cooler :D. Good luck.
Mustang27-6.jpg
Mustang27-9.jpg

Sponsored

jwb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Matt,
I did get voltage on the batt and run/start leads. Ironically, my brother is selling his house and about three weeks ago we were going through all the stuff in his basement and nobody wanted my dad's old analog scope. I'll see if I can find one and check the signal.
Also, if I wasn't obsessing on this, it would be something else :)

Thanks again,
John

jwb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good news. The speed control signal from the PCM appears to be a narrow pulse as expected at low temp.

IMG_3294.jpg

However, I took the sensor temp up to 250F and the pulse did not widen any. I'm leaving the pump connected overnight in case there is some kind of reset/detection. If that doesn't work I'll start playing with settings (BCM or other) that are different for the track packs.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Ok folks.... I was able to check the As-Built data for my Tech and compare it to the 2017 Convenience VIN [MENTION=23028]Lurker_350[/MENTION] provided. For what it's worth, this is what I came up with.

From the top, the two different VINS had different:
"Tear Tags" - Tech was TRS7 & 2017 was DED0
"Vehicle Data" - and "PCM Module" data were the same.

All other data was grouped under the general heading of "BCE Modules". I copied all addresses and instructions into Microsoft Excel spreadsheets and compared the Tech to the 2017 and the 2017 to the Tech. I weeded out similar addresses and values and compiled the same addresses with different values on the spreadsheet posted below. The 2017 had all of the Tech addresses plus 16 addresses as shown in the document. Tomorrow, time permitting, I will post any similar addresses unique to the Track and 2017 that are not on the Tech.

Here's my post with the original doc comparing the 2016 Tech and Track
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1614271&postcount=62

I hope this might be helpful...:cheers:

Attachments

Last edited:

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
If the addresses that don't exist on the Tech are what controls the diff pump, I guess they can't be added?

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
If the addresses that don't exist on the Tech are what controls the diff pump, I guess they can't be added?
If you look at the two docs I posted, you'll see there were 5 addresses for the Track and 16 addresses for the 2017 that were not included in the Tech. Of the 5 and 16 addresses, no address is included in both lists.

This might be a leap but it would seem the address for the pump would be included in both the Track and 2017. Since those addresses that are not included in the Tech do not match, it could indicate the address is included in all three models.

I hope this makes sense:lol:

I remain hopful we'll find the address we need:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Follow up to post 84

In comparing the Track and 2017, there are 15 addresses that are the same but all have different instructions. All 15 addresses are also on the Tech. Two of these addresses are known 720-06-01 (Temp Guage) and 727-01-01 (Engine Sound Enhancement). The remaining addresses are:
7A7-02-02
7A7-02-03
7A7-02-04
7D0-01-01
726-10-01
726-11-10
727-01-02
737-01-02
737-01-03
737-01-04
760-01-02
760-01-03
760-01-04
Please note I am not an expert in any of this however if one or more of these addresses are in the PCM, that might be a place to start. Instructions for each of these addresses are in the docs posted.

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Ok folks.... I was able to check the As-Built data for my Tech and compare it to the 2017 Convenience VIN [MENTION=23028]Lurker_350[/MENTION] provided. For what it's worth, this is what I came up with.

From the top, the two different VINS had different:
"Tear Tags" - Tech was TRS7 & 2017 was DED0
"Vehicle Data" - and "PCM Module" data were the same.

All other data was grouped under the general heading of "BCE Modules". I copied all addresses and instructions into Microsoft Excel spreadsheets and compared the Tech to the 2017 and the 2017 to the Tech. I weeded out similar addresses and values and compiled the same addresses with different values on the spreadsheet posted below. The 2017 had all of the Tech addresses plus 16 addresses as shown in the document. Tomorrow, time permitting, I will post any similar addresses unique to the Track and 2017 that are not on the Tech.

Here's my post with the original doc comparing the 2016 Tech and Track
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1614271&postcount=62

I hope this might be helpful...:cheers:
The 2016 comparison is actually the more interesting one - between tech and track. Taking a quick glance, we can probably throw out a few controllers without looking further.

* 720/IPC [integrated panel control], it has the sensor display enablement.
* 726/BCM [body control module]. It's a good candidate.
* 727/ACM [audio control module]. Not a good candidate.
* 737/RCM [restraint control module]. Not a good candidate.
* 760/ABS [abs]. Not a good candidate.
* 776/SCME [seat control module]. Not a good candidate.
* 7A5/FCDIM [front control display interface]. Not a good candidate.
* 7A7/FCIM [front control interface module]. Not a good candidate.
* 7D0/APIM [acessory protocol interface]. Not a good candidate.

726-10-01 looks like string/VIN data
726-11-01 looks like string/VIN data
726-29-02 looks interesting, but follows seats rather than coolers
726-34-01 looks promising.
726-46-02 looks promising.

There's a single bit of difference in each of those two settings. Obviously, all the rules for forscan apply about setting your checksum, etc.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Don't need to replace the differential cover to make this work. The Tech Pack diff cover has the port for the temperature sensor. I am also using the fill and drain holes for my hose connections. This works great with no problems, other than you need to disconnect the top hose to add your diff fluid. For an oil change, the pump can empty the system and filling is easy. Where the stock differential held 1.5 quarts of oil, my cooling system now holds 3.25 quarts.
[MENTION=20343]GT_Dave[/MENTION],
I cut and pasted this from the Forscan thread....

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

A few questions:
When installing the sensor in the diff cover, did you use any tape or thread locker on the threads? Do you know if there are torque specs for the sensor? I haven't seen the sensor yet but I am assuming it has a pigtail. If so, were you able to find a connector? If not, could you detail how you wired it at the diff end?
Thanks in advance!

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
@GT_Dave ,
A few questions:
When installing the sensor in the diff cover, did you use any tape or thread locker on the threads? Do you know if there are torque specs for the sensor? I haven't seen the sensor yet but I am assuming it has a pigtail. If so, were you able to find a connector? If not, could you detail how you wired it at the diff end?
Thanks in advance!
Don't use any type of tape or thread locker on the sensor, it is not necessary as the sensor hole is a blind pocket like on the transmission. It is reading the case temperature, not the oil temperature. Any compound on the threads may reduce the response of the sensor and there is no tension on that component or any chance of it coming out with the amount of engagement that the sensor has.